Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:19:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: KICKING MYSELF : Re: Octopus Advice  (Read 2071 times)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Man... We had a great day diving off the yaks down in Big Sur on Saturday.

Got some decent footage (editing this week), although I tried my gopro under my hood for the first time - usually it's on my wrist- (Thanks Big Jim for the recommendation) but had the angle a little bit off. Live and learn. Still got a few photos/vid. Hardest part was knowing when it was recording or not.

I got a decent stringer of fish and my 2 lings BUT what I'm really KICKING MYSELF in the butt the most for is not taking that big Pacific Octopus. At the time of seeing it, I was very ignorant about regulations, how to kill it, how to clean it, how to cook it, etc. 2 days later I'm really wishing I had. It was BIG (pics below). I saw it from 25ish feet up (1st pic), dove down (2nd pic), touched it (turned white to blend it), hung with it for a bit and then left it be. Didn't want to kill it and ruin the meat then just have killed an awesome animal for no reason. Not sure how to measure one of these, but it was about 6ft from head to toe (if hung by hood).

For future reference, any "HOW TO" spearfish for octopus advice would be great (i.e. where to shoot? When/How to clean? How to store on stringer/bag? How to cook? etc)

Also, what kind of fish is the big one at the bottom? Gopher?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Hard to tell what the bottom fish is since it's dead and dis-colored, but my guess is a grass rockfish.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
You can only take octopus by hand...so no shooting...just grab em and bring em up...

Can just cut hood and turn inside out and they die pretty quick...

Cooking is pretty easy and bunch of diff recipes out there...tastes great!!

Bottom fish is hard to tell from pic but looks like big kelpy to me...pec fins look too thin for grassy from the pic.

Sounds like a fun day!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

smilee

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I think octopus can only be taken by hand or hook and line.  Could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
You can only take octopus by hand...so no shooting...just grab em and bring em up...

Sincerely,

Jim

Thanks Jim! Do they bite with that beak? I imagine that thing could do damage with pulling gear off or making it hard to get back to surface?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile

Sincerely,

Jim

Thanks Jim! Do they bite with that beak? I imagine that thing could do damage with pulling gear off or making it hard to get back to surface?
I've never been bitten by one...I have been bitten by two wolf eels though.  :smt005

One time a big one did take off my dive buddy's weight belt so I grabbed belt while he swam puss to yak.  :smt044

Here's a simple recipe for when you get one...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=55553.0

Pic is of my dive buddy Charlie the day we tag teamed two beasts...

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric

Sincerely,

Jim

I've never been bitten by one...I have been bitten by two wolf eels though.  :smt005

Pic is of my dive buddy Charlie the day we tag teamed two beasts...

Did i read somewhere that you can't bring them up in SWC? Or can you just not catch them in the cove?

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
Carmel Bay is an SMCA and you can't take inverts...but once you are north of pescadero point/ghost trees you can take anything you want...

No rules about landing in an SMCA or SMR with prohibited take so can land at Stillwater with inverts as long as they weren't harvested in the SMCA...

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014

Do they bite with that beak? I imagine that thing could do damage with pulling gear off or making it hard to get back to surface?
I am sure they can bite but can not think of anyone off Hand getting bit. 

They are super strong and can definitely rip your mask off or grab you and keep you from surfacing. 

Like others have said you can not spear or poke them in anyway.  Hand grab or hook and line are the only legal ways in Ca. 

I will not tackle a large one without a dive buddy standing by to lop off a tentacle if needed.  Even small ones have grabbed rocks on me and it took a lot of effort to remove them. 

The biggest one I ever saw was hiding in the kelp and I grabbed its tentacle thinking it was a kelp stalk and about crapped my pants.  It could have wrapped around my whole body it was so big. 

A big one was enough to share with many and have extra for a whole year.  I tend to stick with smaller ones now. 

-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric

Do they bite with that beak? I imagine that thing could do damage with pulling gear off or making it hard to get back to surface?
I am sure they can bite but can not think of anyone off Hand getting bit. 

They are super strong and can definitely rip your mask off or grab you and keep you from surfacing. 

Like others have said you can not spear or poke them in anyway.  Hand grab or hook and line are the only legal ways in Ca. 

I will not tackle a large one without a dive buddy standing by to lop off a tentacle if needed.  Even small ones have grabbed rocks on me and it took a lot of effort to remove them. 

The biggest one I ever saw was hiding in the kelp and I grabbed its tentacle thinking it was a kelp stalk and about crapped my pants.  It could have wrapped around my whole body it was so big. 

A big one was enough to share with many and have extra for a whole year.  I tend to stick with smaller ones now.

This was very helpful! Thank you!

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
TLW said y’all be nuts  :smt003 I defended you guys and said your just salty :smt044 nice looking octopuses guys but I know I’m not brave enough to go one on one with something that has 8 tentacles full of suckers. Let alone drop down to there level to shoot a fish. I’ll stick to the meat crane, hook, and braided line.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
No shame in leaving it alone either! GPO and wolf eels are protectors of the reef. Great pics & story. And nice fish! Bottom one looks like kelp or grass rf.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
No shame in leaving it alone either! GPO and wolf eels are protectors of the reef. Great pics & story. And nice fish! Bottom one looks like kelp or grass rf.

Thanks for the encouragement! Can't wait to get back down to Big Sur. I think next time I'll leave the Kayak and hit a few shore dive spots to learn the structure better, then venture out further to Lobos Rocks or further south.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Lobos rocks is a spooky sharky spot (an ideal spot for a polaris attack). I wouldn’t get tooo close to those islands. Plus the sealions clean up most lings in that immediate area. Inshore from there is cool though.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Yah there’s no way I’d tango with one that big. Cold day in hell before I did that. I was ab diving in mendo one day and found this nice hole with a bunch of big abs in it. The hole was only big enough to get my head and one arm in to measure and pull the ab. So I reached in and measured. +9”!! So I surface to catch my breath. Get back down and reach in to pull it. POPPED EASY !!! So stoked!! So I grab it and start pulling it out and my arm feels stuck. I thought it was the ab between two rocks in there. So I turn my wrist and I can feel something wrapped around my wrist and it gets tighter when I turned it. I get a bit startled and give a yank. Didn’t budge. It’s getting tighter!!! I shine my light in and I see a big tentacle coving my wrist and hand... oh sh!t... now I’m freaked. I start yanking more!! No good... I finally compose myself and drop the ab and pull my knife. Cut the tentacle off and shoot straight for the surface... I catch my breath and grab my speargun for some redemption. But all I find is my iron, ab, and the lone tentacle.  Lesson learned, check the entire hole before reaching in.
Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com