Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: FIRE FIRE FIRE  (Read 10704 times)

Schills206

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Outback
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
This is fucking devastating.  We are still in shock.  We've been up since 3:30 am and are packed, ready for evac.  Lark field near River Rd is wiped out as well as most of northeast and northwest Santa Rosa.  We are the lucky ones so far and I'm thinking we are safe but spot fires in West Windsor have been sparking up and threatening homes.  Reports from dozens of friends who lost their homes are pouring in.  It's still chaos out there and it's hard to get info.  We still have power but gas and cable are off.

Sloppy and D, and any of you other NCKA'ers that are affected, my prayers are with you.

-Schills

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Boss and a few coworkers evacuated, one for sure lost his house...

fucking devastating

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I've been through a wildland fire, lost everything 11 years ago.  I KNOW the pain these poor souls are going through, but I also know it's just stuff.  STAY SAFE! 
Here's some tips for immediate action for those who are affected;
1. Go to a Red Cross station.  There you'll get a debit card to get you through the next few days.  Maybe $400 or so to buy stuff like clothing, toiletries, etc. 
2. Contact your insurance company.  If your car is insured with the same company as your home, you have their phone # on the insurance card in your glove compartment.  Your insurance company should be able to get you in a temporary hotel immediately and set up temporary residence shortly after.
3. Get a laptop and start logging EVERYTHING!  Your mind will be spinning.  You'll think you'll remember stuff but you won't.  Log every contact from every name of every person who has contacted you.  The fireman, the fire marshal, even friends who offer you help, money, food, clothes, etc.  Later you'll want to thank these people and you'll have a list of those who to thank and how they helped you.  That really meant a lot to me, to be able to thank everyone who came to our aid.
4. Go to the bank and get some cash.  I was amazed how good old money in wallet was able to help me get stuff that a credit card might not have. 
5. If you've lost a car, get a rental. 
6. Keep every receipt you'll spend from the initial loss through the whole ordeal.  Every meal, every tank of gas, everything.  It's all now related to your fire and re-reimbursable if it's something you wouldn't have spent if you didn't have a fire. 
7. Even if you've only been evacuated and end up not loosing anything to fire, your expenses while displaced are all covered by your homeowner's policy.  Keep those receipts, logs and records in order to recover your expenses. 

I'll add to this as I think about what we did and what we wish we did immediately after our fire.

VK

We are still safe ..Thanks for info Jerry !!!

I know there are a few guys Scottymeboy ,fishkraft ,MF , Salty , eiboh that are SR residents anyone know their 10-20 /Status ...there's bound to be more ?!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:48:35 PM by D. »

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
I THINK MOST NCKAers have responded on face book or NCKA.Scotty my boy.Has anyone heard from him?
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

Bigfoot

• Sea Lion
  • moochariffic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
1500 homes & Business's Holy shit! Hope everyone stays safe, Our Honey Run Rd. fire started a few hrs ago and it could get ugly.
Bigfoot
Randall Ray Nelums
Cell (510) 305 0471

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
I've been through a wildland fire, lost everything 11 years ago.  I KNOW the pain these poor souls are going through, but I also know it's just stuff.  STAY SAFE! 
Here's some tips for immediate action for those who are affected;
1. Go to a Red Cross station.  There you'll get a debit card to get you through the next few days.  Maybe $400 or so to buy stuff like clothing, toiletries, etc. 
2. Contact your insurance company.  If your car is insured with the same company as your home, you have their phone # on the insurance card in your glove compartment.  Your insurance company should be able to get you in a temporary hotel immediately and set up temporary residence shortly after.
3. Get a laptop and start logging EVERYTHING!  Your mind will be spinning.  You'll think you'll remember stuff but you won't.  Log every contact from every name of every person who has contacted you.  The fireman, the fire marshal, even friends who offer you help, money, food, clothes, etc.  Later you'll want to thank these people and you'll have a list of those who to thank and how they helped you.  That really meant a lot to me, to be able to thank everyone who came to our aid.
4. Go to the bank and get some cash.  I was amazed how good old money in wallet was able to help me get stuff that a credit card might not have. 
5. If you've lost a car, get a rental. 
6. Keep every receipt you'll spend from the initial loss through the whole ordeal.  Every meal, every tank of gas, everything.  It's all now related to your fire and re-reimbursable if it's something you wouldn't have spent if you didn't have a fire. 
7. Even if you've only been evacuated and end up not loosing anything to fire, your expenses while displaced are all covered by your homeowner's policy.  Keep those receipts, logs and records in order to recover your expenses. 

I'll add to this as I think about what we did and what we wish we did immediately after our fire.

Good advice. After fighting my own structure fire and losing the battle, along with everything I own, I started keeping inventory and pictures of everything I own.

And now 3 years later the Redwood complex fire is creeping up to my new house and evacuations and in place.

I wish I was home to help out. Losing everything and becoming homeless overnight can do a number on you.

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Im in a good area in Napa far from fires but people should be careful of going outside too much. Last night I was out for too long and today I felt like death... headache/vomiting/sluggish. I saw some people out jogging today in the smoke! Crazy

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
My prayers go out to everyone involved. I live in eureka.  I have a horse trailer if anyone needs it  also have a camp trailer some one could call home for a few nights. Not much but it's all I got at moment. Text if needed. 7076014968
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:25:33 PM by Doug the plumber »
2018 Hobie outback camo
Equinox angler 12 ft
Yes I am a plumber (Hardy's plumbing)
Nic G's catch tackle pro staff

VK

Here's what I know ...
OK : D. , Sloppy ,Scotty , Salty

Lost Home :Victor Gonzales

Add yourself or anyone else you know

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
I THINK MOST NCKAers have responded on face book or NCKA.Scotty my boy.Has anyone heard from him?
Hey Tiny,
Thanks for the concern , but we are OK
We did a precautionary evac at 4am
And went to my wife's sister's.
 I live a couple miles from Sloppy.... glad he's out.
Man this is crazy shit!
Seeing the devastation  on the other side of town is so scary!
To have to gather up aIl ur important stuff  when there is no power @3:30am is a friggin trip!!!
Thoughts and prayers out for those who are less lucky than us.
Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Glad to hear everyone seems to be OK. Did salty lose his house? How about Ruben? I don't have facebook.

We did the 3:00am truck load, but luckily we never lost power and we never had to leave. I did about a 2 mile perimeter drive about every 20 minutes to make sure everything was cool. Wasn't sure at the time where all the fires were. All I knew was the whole northern horizon was glowing orange.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

VK

Could not stand it , came back 30 mins ago or so into our neighborhood .. it's all good , so far .. Feel lucky and grateful

Saltys' home is close by so he is more than likely good too , Fishkraft OK  too probably

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I was away from internet and social media all day and just found out about the fire on this forum. Very scary... I hope everyone is safe.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)