Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: fishing for your living  (Read 19101 times)

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
very good article jmairey thanks
got saltwater

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Job 1) Fish research Job 2) yaks for catching fish Job 3) teach at Santa Rosa Junior College...you guessed it...fish and wildlife conservation Job 4) Consultant for Stanford...fisheries again.  Pretty much a one trick pony  Leah once asked what we talk about at work when were not talking about fish...the answer...fishing!

Also have 3 little ones and a buzzzzing household, but life is good, and the days are fun.

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Electrical Contractor - "Granite Electric" Pacifica (imagine that)
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

Davey Jones

Semi-retired always looking for more work, PT Home Inspector(Landmark Home Inspections, Alturas,Ca.)
 I am 50 years old, B-day Feb 24.  Red Jungle Fowl are my pet of choice, for the time being. I am planting Buffaloberry,Serviceberry, and Wolf berry with the hopes to hide my small house and feed off the land later, lol.
Built my house, paid my truck off, and own an Aegean Kayak(paid off) and my take home pay comes from selling properties in Mt.Hermon and Berkeley Ca.

jdyak

• Salmon
  • Joel fishing Linda Mar Creek 06
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
SDSU Information technology, ran an equipment rental company from 1990 and sold it in 2002.  Took a couple years off to find my way and now for the past 1 1/2 years I've been in the mortgage industry.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.  - Herculites -
2006 NCKA BAM 1st place Catfish Winner

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
23 years with the local Caterpillar dealer.

I think my blood is Cat yellow.

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
5+ years in the mortgage industry,... Wholesale account executivie....

Hate the job, love the pay.......What can I say? :smt006

Wish I could fish for a living....
Matt

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
These days along with a four hour a day job for the Fresno Unified school District as a extended day coordinator.  I’m actually make the rest of my living as a freelance writer and photographer and occasional kayakfishing guide and instructor. subjects are sports-paddling and fishing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 05:55:24 AM by Paddle and flies »
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

Windrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I’m a retired U.S. Navy Fire Controlman and use to shoot guided missiles and Gatling guns.  Now I teach ESL (English as a Second Language) to adults in order to make immigrants and refugees better citizens.  It’s a very satisfying job.

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
23 years with the local Caterpillar dealer.

I think my blood is Cat yellow.

hey Alfredo,

Caterpillar is damn famous as when I was in europe visiting my wife's family in slovakia the people we visited asked if we were able to get caterpillar boots for them here in the states. that is when i realized for a while now caterpillar has also entered the fashion scene: O )

Those work boots lok pretty tough but i always wondered if caterpillar actually licenses shoe makers or do people just use the name?

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
22 + years as a Electronic Technician in Agilent Technologies ( used to be Hewlett Packard Company ) based in Santa Rosa California....What can I say,  I LOVE MY JOB......but the work I HATE !!!! because  they are sending me to Malaysia next month to train people who taking over my job.... :smt011 jobless after coming back 'coz they laid me off :smt010  but I will be working temporary for EDD for six month ( Unemployment )....Now, I got  more time to go fishing.... :smt045

Kiel
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

Glen

I work as a utility plant operator / mechanic for Genentech.  The 4 /10 day shift really makes this job worth it!  Not to mention Genentech serves free beer every Friday :party. I guess that it was voted the #1 place to work in fortune mag.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
As others have said, my primary responsibility is to my wonderful family, Ema 11, Max 7. and my wife Jessi.  Ema and Max both fish and Ema is starting to Yak it with me.  Jessi could not be less interested..... 

Full time job in Student Affairs at UCSC with a BA in Speech and MA in Education.

I'm working on fishing for a living..... currently am a licensed guide (kayak fishing), represent marketing company for Ocean Kayaks for fishing, wirte a weekly fishing column for the Santa Cruz Sentinel and occasionaly write for other publications, and host the weekly "Let's Go Fishing Radio show" on KSCOAM in Santa Cruz---(streaming at ksco.com 7pm on thursday nights, or theletsgofishingradioshow.com...tune in).  So far all this goes to support my fishing habit only, can't really support the whole lifestyle, but in the future?  who knows.

Great thread.

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Those work boots look pretty tough but i always wondered if caterpillar actually licenses shoe makers or do people just use the name?

Years ago I worked at our store in West Sacramento. We would get foreign people off the boats in the port that would walk to our store, buy all they could and take it back with them to sell.

Cat products like hats, shirts, jackets, boots are a big market. We sell tons of the stuff. The sales dept gives even more away to their customers. Buy a new D11 crawler and get a Cat hat!

Cat is real picky on how their logo is used. They license the manufactures. They also have rules on how the dealers can use the logo on our materials.

Here's a sample, not my store:
http://www.shopcaterpillar.com

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:47:55 PM by alfredo »

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
....thought I'd revive this thread....

Here's what I really do at work  :smt002

anything