Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: *New PG&E Smart Meters  (Read 1933 times)

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
they just installed them, now *they say i'm gonna save $$$. Then they say the >old ones< were not calculating the actual amounts used.
I called them to ask when all this money saving is gonna kick in? and then i told them it better not be a "you've used more" Gas&Electricity this period then ever before thing. They replied,"the older meters have been giving us a deal, the new ones will be more accurate"

My question.......does anyone out there, have one of these things in action and was there a difference in used utillities?

i know there is a lawsuit filled by a group of so-cal'rs already, just looking for NorCal'rs who might know more.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:15:21 PM by FisHunter »
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Adam-

I think you better tighten your belt and get ready to throw down a little more $$$ for utilities. It's never a good thing when a big company says that we've been getting a break. Let us know how it goes though.

Freddie

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Just build a greenhouse!  :smt044
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
This is the year to take advantage of good tax credits for energy savings upgrades. Up to 1500.00 bucks back on Water heaters, insulation, windows. Saltydog was briefing me on the credit last week. Let us know how it goes Adam. We have been burning wood for heat since Nov. and our utility bill is still over 100 bucks a month.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
Let us know how it goes though.

if you are a PG&E customer? you're gonna get your chance to save $$$ too......the places that have filled the lawsuit are the places they've slowed conversions. You can see when your area is slated for upgrade in their website.

No more deals for nobody!!  this is NOW the Real_amount that you're using.......if you do not pay, you will be cut off. that simple!  :smt013

Pacifico

• Oye! Que Vida!
  • Sea Lion
  • 12 seconds! That's all I need!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I live in a small apartment (2 bed room) and they've just switched us over a couple of weeks ago.  I think I average about $50 a month although it's been a bit higher the last few months because of the cold.

For those of you who live in average size 3 bed room homes....what do you typically pay?  Of course there could/will be a lot of variance, but I'm hoping to buy soon and wonder what the difference may end up being.
Rub-cifico

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
This is the year to take advantage of good tax credits for energy savings upgrades. Up to 1500.00 bucks back on Water heaters, insulation, windows. Saltydog was briefing me on the credit last week. Let us know how it goes Adam. We have been burning wood for heat since Nov. and our utility bill is still over 100 bucks a month.

Water heater change-outs seem to be one of the rebate items that can actually recoup investment and save money fairly soon. Windows . . . iffy . .  . there is a LOT of argument in the construction trade publications about when and if they pay back due to their high initial purchase/installation cost. This can be reduced a lot by doing the install yourself - but buy the book on how to do it right. Insulation varies, but will definitely make you more comfortable and reduce energy use . . . it's just a matter of weighing actual costs, rebates/credits versus savings and how it that equals our (or not).

Our electrical bill doubled in December - I think that it was the 4 kids home for school break, cooking, baking and running EVERYTHING.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile

For those of you who live in average size 3 bed room homes....what do you typically pay?  Of course there could/will be a lot of variance, but I'm hoping to buy soon and wonder what the difference may end up being.

In Contra Costa it gets pretty cold in the winter and our PGE bills run $200-300 for a 4 bedroom house. With the new smart meter our bill went up to $350. I have heard from neighbors that their bill went up several hundred dollars on the new meter. We feel lucky it went up only $50.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
I live in a small apartment (2 bed room) and they've just switched us over a couple of weeks ago.  I think I average about $50 a month although it's been a bit higher the last few months because of the cold.

i have a 2 bdrm/1 bath house, the size of an apartment. We =get it down to $30ish in the summer & in the winter over $100.
I want to compare it to prior bills of the same months and see if they show "how much you consumed on the old meter and how much on the new one".

Water heater change-outs seem to be one of the rebate items that can actually recoup investment and save money fairly soon. Windows . . . iffy . .  . there is a LOT of argument in the construction trade publications about when and if they pay back due to their high initial purchase/installation cost. This can be reduced a lot by doing the install yourself - but buy the book on how to do it right. Insulation varies, but will definitely make you more comfortable and reduce energy use . . . it's just a matter of weighing actual costs, rebates/credits versus savings and how it that equals our (or not).

Our electrical bill doubled in December - I think that it was the 4 kids home for school break, cooking, baking and running EVERYTHING.
[/quote]
I got an est. for all the windows to be upgraded. After doing the math, it would take over 20 years to break even. That aint worth it to me, i'll just pay the $$$ during the cold months and enjoy the $30 bills in the spring,summer&fall.......unless the meters really do save me some money, but that i doubt! :smt012

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Our December PGE was $375.00 :smt013 $275.00 electric, the balance is gas. We have a 4 bedroom 3bath, with a huge family room in the basement that has a gas fired wall heater.

Like Craig, we've been heating with our woodstove since November, been through 2 cords of oak/madrone at $300.00/cord.

Both girls were home in December, so with the Christmas lights, their bedroom lights on till 2 or 3 in the morning, their computers on constantly, 800 loads of laundry, but $275 freakin bucks for electricity???

Rich

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Damn yo! That's a lotta $ to spend on bills.
Our PG&E bill is between $60-140 per month. Never been close to 200. Even when I was living w/3 women! But then again, I live near Monterey...where it never gets colder than 50* and never hotter than 75* And I have a greenhouse  :smt044
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~