Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: clothing and pfd's  (Read 3395 times)

robohalll

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
So I’m reading old post and the safety threads and I think I decided to get a wetsuit instead of dry or semi dry suit. Seems safer but less comfortable.  Then there’s the pfd at first I was considering an inflatable but after going through some old discussions I think I’ll go with the regular ones with minimal pockets in front mesh back.   Im curious how many of you wear the inflatable.  By the way the cold water immersion video is a must watch.  Any insight would be welcome, thanks
Prowler 13

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Most people started out with a wetsuit because they are cheaper than dry suits and when gearing up for your first time there is a lot of stuff to buy.  People that go often and want more comfort and have the money to spend will naturally switch to a dry suit, or dry something (lots of combos these days).  However if it's a question of safety, i'm putting on the wetsuit and dry top/splash guard, polarfleece and PFD.  It's pretty hard to sink in a wetsuit, and no question that a 5mil keeps me warm while in the water.  So what i'm trying to say is, buy both I guess  :smt044
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I wear an inflatable with a farmer John 6.5 mm wetsuit.

You'll get use to the wetsuit. If you never wear a dry suit you'll never know what you're missing. It's more of a luxury item than a nessecity.

But I dive from my yak at least 90 percent of the time.

I would go with a standard PFD as opposed to an inflatable if I were you.

My inflatable also has no pockets for a radio, assesories etc.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Up here in Oregon I wear an Excel revolt 4mm surfers wetsuit and as a stocky futher mucker at 5'10 and 235 I'm plenty comfortable even at 6 hrs on the water. The waters a little colder up here. Just remember if you gotta tinkle you either gotta land and half undress or go and sit in it :smt044
I have honestly not had to peepee in my big boy suit...yet.. but have checked the car door jam for a leak a few times right after landing... in a hurry.  :smt002

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
I wear a 5/6 with titanium liner and a relief zipper.

It's fine for up to about 4 or 5 hours OTW. When I do 8 hours plus
& while trolling, it can get uncomfortable. I often dive for Abs then hook and line for fish. I use a kayak fishing PFD.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Up here in Oregon I wear an Excel revolt 4mm surfers wetsuit and as a stocky futher mucker at 5'10 and 235 I'm plenty comfortable even at 6 hrs on the water. The waters a little colder up here. Just remember if you gotta tinkle you either gotta land and half undress or go and sit in it :smt044
I have honestly not had to peepee in my big boy suit...yet.. but have checked the car door jam for a leak a few times right after landing... in a hurry.  :smt002

Let me add, I don't go in the water unless it's unplanned..... and usually it's the spin cycle at the end of the day OTW....... but I need to check the washing machine because it seams like my spin cycle don't get the excess water out! It ads it!!  :smt044

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

I just pull my farmer johns down to my waist, lay flat on my back, whip it out and let the Belagio fountain fly over the side.

Easy peasey warm lemon juice squeezey  :smt005
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
You can sew in a relief zipper.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
You can sew in a relief zipper.

It's a must have, or at least it makes things so much more easy and comfortable on a long day,

I've done 2 myself and then paid $75 for a professional job on a 3rd suit, I liked mine better but there you have it.

robohalll

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the advice, especially the detailed instructions on how to perform the Bellagio del martillo . I didn't know that  you could sew in a zipper,  but for me it would be kind of awkward have a zipper on my knee
Prowler 13

hdpwipmonkey

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

I just pull my farmer johns down to my waist, lay flat on my back, whip it out and let the Belagio fountain fly over the side.

Easy peasey warm lemon juice squeezey  :smt005
😂😂😂

Ray
2015 Hobie Outback "USS Floating Banana"
Ocean Kayak Malibu II XL "Mello Yello"

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I just grabbed an NRS 2.0 farmer john on Amazon for $70. It's a lot thinner than most wear I think, but it's very flexible and comfortable. I believe it's sufficient for fishing wear I fish.

When I launched at bodega last week it was 34 degrees, I had the wetsuit, NRS booties, NRS pants and jacket with a thermal top on under the jacket. Eventually got hot and had to lose the paddling pants and thermal, definitely nice to have the wetsuit, and it'll be perfect for summer I think, should keep me warm enough should I have an off yak excursion as well.
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I just grabbed an NRS 2.0 farmer john on Amazon for $70. It's a lot thinner than most wear I think, but it's very flexible and comfortable. I believe it's sufficient for fishing wear I fish.

When I launched at bodega last week it was 34 degrees, I had the wetsuit, NRS booties, NRS pants and jacket with a thermal top on under the jacket. Eventually got hot and had to lose the paddling pants and thermal, definitely nice to have the wetsuit, and it'll be perfect for summer I think, should keep me warm enough should I have an off yak excursion as well.

$55 + 10% off if you sign up (http://www.outdoorplay.com/NRS-2-Farmer-John-Neoprene-Kayak-Wetsuit).

I have this, front zipper, easy access.  I wear a waterproof jacket on the outside as well as waterproof pants.  Good for winter, easy for warmer weather.  I burnt out if it's too hot.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
My favorites the NRS FJ as well, since it has a relief zipper. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

robohalll

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

interesting i would have thought that it would be too cold for just the 2.0  ,  where do you usually fish?   i think untill i get comfortable ill stick to napa river and slowly work my way to the ocean.

is that size chart on the outdoor play site pretty accurate?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:51:26 AM by robohalll »
Prowler 13

anything