Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Question for the tech savy people  (Read 755 times)

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
What is required to make a mobile friendly site?
I've seen sites the ask if you would like to make mobile friendly after clicking on them. Is this a difficult thing to accomplish?
Does this need to happen from the start, or can it be done after a site is established?
Also,
How difficult it is to add a web cam to existing site to show 30 sec clips recorded every 20-30 minutes?
Thanks for any advice
;0)
Hobie Outback (dune)

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
As you probably guessed, there isn't a simple answer to your question about mobile-friendly sites. Here is an introduction to the terms people use and what they mean: https://learn.onemonth.com/responsive-vs-adaptive-vs-fluid-design/

Back in the dark ages, people made completely separate "mobile versions" of their sites that often lacked functionality and were frustrating to use. Now the preferred way to do it is with responsive design-- the styling of the site changes based on the size of the device screen, and provides a relatively consistent experience across phones, tablets of various sizes, and large monitors.

The best strategy for you is going to depend a lot on what platform/framework is being used to build the site in question.

I don't have any experience with webcams.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Realistically speaking, it's probably "easier" (if more time consuming) to build a site from scratch with mobile friendliness in mind.

For my company we opted to hire a web design company to do it for us. It's not too expensive (relatively - if you're not looking for anything fancy they can basically just copy and paste your website information to an existing format they already have). It was a lot more expensive for us because we have been doing a lot of work on our branding and making sure we stand out.

If you go the route of building a new site from scratch with mobile friendliness in mind - plugging in a live webcam would be a trivial matter.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
You would have to add parameters for when the layout breaks from a desktop to tablet to mobile, and design what each layout would look like. 

More simple way - majority of website builders (wordpress templates, squarespace etc) have responsiveness ready to go and handles it all for you.  Like Rbark said it may be the easier route even though it's from scratch.  Squarespace is pretty noob friendly, wordpress lesser but still doable.

For live streaming you should probably host your stream on youtube then you would be able to add the embed code for the video in the website.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
You would have to add parameters for when the layout breaks from a desktop to tablet to mobile, and design what each layout would look like. 

More simple way - majority of website builders (wordpress templates, squarespace etc) have responsiveness ready to go and handles it all for you.  Like Rbark said it may be the easier route even though it's from scratch.  Squarespace is pretty noob friendly, wordpress lesser but still doable.

For live streaming you should probably host your stream on youtube then you would be able to add the embed code for the video in the website.

This.  Use wix.com, for the most part you don't have to be tech savy (unless you want some real heavy duty customization).  The live streaming via youtube is a very good idea.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I'm a web developer/designer so I think I can help answer this. If you're building the site from scratch, choose a responsive ready framework like Bootstrap or Zurb Foundation. They provide css classes that help layout your site on different devices.

As for the web cam, there are HTML5 based plugins that you can use to embed into the site. The user will probably have to accept to enable the plugin. For example, if you're building an app using Angular, there are plugins like this:
https://github.com/jonashartmann/webcam-directive

The easy route is to use website builders like Squarespace, Duda, Wix, etc. that already have responsiveness built in. It's mostly drag-n-drop so you don't have to mess with code.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Alternatively, use wordpress.com, which is free and you don't have to be tech savy either (i.e. good for starting point to poke around and see what you can do).  WordPress is also good if you want to expand (i.e. make it more business like) in the future.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I would not opt to do the web streaming due to the bandwidth constraints.  If you're talking about the cove, bandwidth is expensive.

anything