Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 07:37:53 AM]

[Today at 06:39:27 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Freediving for dungeness  (Read 8121 times)

Travis

Would it be legal to freedive and take dungeness crabs by hand like the so-cal guys do for lobsters?  I looked in the regs and it seems to be legal to take them by hand.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Yep.  Unfortunately dungys love big open sandy beaches and so does the tax man.

pescadore

Big River (in the river) is a good spot in Mendocino.  No big fellas in there either.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Dave, in the river itself?  I have heard that you can crab inside the mouth, but wasn't sure if it was in the river or past the breakers.

bigeyedave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Out in front of the Navarro river is good too.  We would drop a bag of squid or rockfish  parts on a rope and buoy and then go ab dive.  When you are done you roll in and drop down the rope to the bag and grab em.  Like taking candy from a baby. :baby
Dave

Travis

Quote from: bigeyedave
Out in front of the Navarro river is good too.  We would drop a bag of squid or rockfish  parts on a rope and buoy and then go ab dive.  When you are done you roll in and drop down the rope to the bag and grab em.  Like taking candy from a baby. :baby
Dave

How deep do you drop the crab bait down?

pescadore

Quote from: scwafish
Dave, in the river itself?  I have heard that you can crab inside the mouth, but wasn't sure if it was in the river or past the breakers.

Sean, people fish crabs from outside the mouth, off the beach, to about 2 miles up river.  I'm not a big crab diver, but I've dove for them right under the Big River bridge with success.  There's a marine wedge that forms on the bottom, giving crabs access way up the river.  If they're not around, or if they're all shorts, it's can be kind of boring.  Like diving in a desert.

On the north side of fort bragg is a surfing beach called virgin creek.  I've seen guys do really well there, but it has to be absolutely flat.  And Big Brother could be hanging out, but there's lot of surfer bait around on the outside to distract him.

Travis

Quote from: scwafish
Yep.  Unfortunately dungys love big open sandy beaches and so does the tax man.
 Is the tax man the guy I am thinking of with the big sharp smile? :smt017

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Is the tax man the guy I am thinking of with the big sharp smile?
I'm afraid so....
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

bigeyedave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Travis,
We would set the bait in about 20-25 feet of water just off shore about 100 yards straight off the river mouth.  The crabs are surprisingly fast out on the sand.  You could also drop a  trap or two off your yak, then go dive and come back and pull them.  You could also dive down before you pull the trap to grab any stragglers that are hanging out on the outside of the trap.
Dave

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
When halibut diving I often see them. I've grabbed them a couple of times but it breaks my concentration. If sharks like sand areas then I'm in big trouble = 90% of my red triangle diving.
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

JZumi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Another place to freedive dungies is the jetty  at Doran Beach.  Very easy access and the diving is super easy.  When you get bored you can recover a bunch of hoop traps; they litter the place.

Travis

Another place to freedive dungies is the jetty  at Doran Beach.  Very easy access and the diving is super easy.  When you get bored you can recover a bunch of hoop traps; they litter the place.

Is not The Taxman seen frequenting this area?  I remember someone saying they have seen him cruising around that area on many occasions.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Ano Nuevo to the Farrallons to Bodega is the Red triangle. It is called this for a reason. As much as I LOVE to freedive, I totally avoid this area. All my diving is from Fort Ross north. I just factor in the number of sitings and number of attacks in a given area, then figure how much is a crab or an ab or a fish worth to me. This rules out the traingle for me. I had a friend get nailed by the Tax Man at Tomales. I know he is everywhere, but I would rather avoid the concentrations.
I seem to have fun in the areas I dive and feel pretty comfortable. That's what it is all about for me.
I can't see the Triangle being any more fun than any other place I dive, and I know I would not feel comfortable diving there.
<=>

pondsurf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I have been crabbing at Doran several times this year but never thought of diving down to look at who is outside my traps. Hmm. I have dove the rock two times in the last couple of weeks for abs and have picked a couple monsters. I guess that is why they are out there since no one wants to pay the tax man. I only take one or two dives and then back on my yak. It is very close for me to get out there and back. I have switched off from diving Tomales and Bodega this year. I have not seen and hope to never see Mr. Whitey.
When the Lord takes your sins, you never see them again. He casts them into the depths of the sea, forgiven and forgotten. I even believe that He places a sign over them that reads no fishing allowed.

anything