Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:40:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pressure when freediving  (Read 8298 times)

Travis

I notice when I have been snorkeling that when I get down 15 feet or so the pressure starts hurting my ears badly and pushing on my mask.  I tried to pop my ears but it didn't help any.  What do you guys do about the pressure?    And how deep can you go before you damage your ears?

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I pop my ears.  That's about the only thing you can/should do.  Some people have problems clearing their ears.  How are you doing it?  Plug your nose and blow?

-Allen

Travis

I will have to try it again next time.  When you pop your ears does it lessen the pressure on your mask too?

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I don't wait to pop, I start popping my ears as soon as possible during descent. If needed, I just let a little air out my nose to relieve mask squeeze. Might have your mask on a little too tight.

polepole

• Administrator
Yes, blow air our your nose to reduce the pressure on the mask.  In fact, you should learn how to clear water from your mask by tilting your head back and blowing air through your nose ... the water will drain out the bottom.

On a good day, I can blow the air out my nose and it will reduce the pressure on my mask AND clear my ears (I don't have to plug my nose).  On other days it doesn't work for me.

-Allen

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm sure granitdive will have something to add about the dangers of equalization problems.

Low-volume masks help w/ the mask squeeze, but if you can't equalize your ears, you probably can't safely dive deeper than 10'.

I've been down a little over 20' freediving, and over 60' w/ scuba.  I had a reverse sinus squeeze once freediving in about 12'.  But other than that, no problems.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Gotta equalize, something thats probably easier to learn in a pool than out in the mess.  I start right away and hold onto my nose most of the time, if not the entire time.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Sometimes it's not a matter of learning, just what's physically possible.  My dad washed out of scuba school because he was unable to equalize (30 years ago), and I know granitedive has equalization problems that aren't just a matter of not doing it right.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I had the same trouble when I started diving. The trick I discovered is that the strongest pressure buildup seems to be right at the first atmo of pressure, right about 10-12 feet under. I used to wait until I "had to" equalize, then clear. What I found worked much better is to equalize less pressure, more often. It's easier on my pain threshold and my ears clear everytime. Like scwafish, I swim around with one hand on my mask most of the time though. I used to practice a lot when I worked at a dive shop, and over the years it got easier & easier (living at 2000ft helped too).
-Sean
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
One thing you might try doing to make things easier on you to equalize pressure is practice. On a regular basis, whether you are in front of the tv at home, or whatever,  plug your nose and gently blow, as if you were driving to Tahoe and trying to clear your ears, but don't do it hard. Do it to kind of stretch out your Eustachian tube. That's the part of the ear where you feel the squeeze. I think that with any activity, the more you practice the easier it becomes. Kind of like stretching your hamstring. Do it every day and you stay somewhat limber. If you get that part used to constantly fluctuating, it should be easier to clear when you dive.
I start clearing as soon as my head goes under water until I reach my max depth. If I am cruising structure, and it takes me up then down again, I clear again.
Also, try taking Sudafed before your dive. This will help keep your nasal passages clear and make it a lot easier on you as well.
Hope this helps.
<=>

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
I second tote on the sudafed thing...keeps everything nice and decongested.  Much easier to equalize when the sinuses are nice and clear.

I also hold my nose on the way down so I can equalize until I get to my max depth... then I'm fine.  

The position on the way down, especially in murky water, is to have one arm out front to guard against hitting my head on anything and the other hand holding my nose.
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Quote from: Tote
Also, try taking Sudafed before your dive. This will help keep your nasal passages clear and make it a lot easier on you as well.
Hope this helps.

Excellent idea Tote.  I'll try that next time.  

For clearing, I hold my nose on the way down and clear (blow) as needed.

Stuart

polepole

• Administrator
Meds?  Whoa!  Not recommended for scuba at least that's what they tell you when you get certified.  Something about the pressure affecting the way the meds might work.

May be different for freediving, but I don't know one way or the other.

-Allen

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
They don't reccomend meds for scuba diving because they can wear off while you're down.  Imagine equalizing your ears at 90ft and then you get congested and can't depressurize them!  That's a one way ticket to hell.  Meds can't wear off in the 1 minute you're down on a freedive, so I wouldn't worry as much.  Still, if you're truely congested, you're more likely to have a sinus squeeze or other type of pressure injury - even with decongestants.

Quote from: polepole
Meds?  Whoa!  Not recommended for scuba at least that's what they tell you when you get certified.  Something about the pressure affecting the way the meds might work.

May be different for freediving, but I don't know one way or the other.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Well, you are still diving to a pressurized depth and the meds can still wear off.  Just be aware of that 2 hours later when you start to have a harder time clearing your ears.

-Allen