Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Mountain Lake Trout Questions  (Read 1373 times)

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Going on a family deer hunting trip in Modoc National Forest (here to be exact https://tinyurl.com/ycq2t7ob) and will be camping along the banks of this beautiful reservoir with some of the best trout fishing in the area, according to a park ranger I spoke to on the phone. well, I can't leave the yak behind so it is going with me. My question is, I haven't ever really trout fished when I wasn't trolling from a boat, I'm not really set up to troll from my yak, and I don't have a fly rod or know how to fly fish. What should I be doing? Just a bobber and a grasshopper? anybody have any tricks or tips for sitting in the middle of a reservoir in the mountains and just floating?
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
cast lures towards the shoreline. kastmasters, spinners, etc.

also, any idiot can troll. i'm a prime example.  just put out a kastmaster about 100-150 feet back and paddle.

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile

also, any idiot can troll. i'm a prime example.  just put out a kastmaster about 100-150 feet back and paddle.

Yea I know I could MAKE trolling work, I just get pissed off and frustrated because I don't have a great place to put my rod without jacking everything up after 5 minutes of paddling....one good thing about peddle yaks lol. Kastmasters and Rooster tails sound like a great idea, I forgot those even existed lol. I haven't used one since I was a little kid.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
My buddy zip tied some pvc at an angle to his backrest as a quick diy fix. He was walking his pole with his paddle as well.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Yea I know I could MAKE trolling work, I just get pissed off and frustrated because I don't have a great place to put my rod without jacking everything up after 5 minutes of paddling....one good thing about peddle yaks lol. Kastmasters and Rooster tails sound like a great idea, I forgot those even existed lol. I haven't used one since I was a little kid.
if you've got a SOT, just jam the butt of the rod under your butt or leg. i do it often instead of actual rod holders as i like the rod being closer to me when i'm trolling for trout.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
...any idiot can troll. i'm a prime example...

You stole my line!
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014

if you've got a SOT, just jam the butt of the rod under your butt or leg. i do it often instead of actual rod holders as i like the rod being closer to me when i'm trolling for trout.

Same here. Even after having installed a gear track/ rod holder, I kinda prefer putting the butt end of the rod under one leg, and wedging the rest of it on the outside of my other knee, so the rod crosses the yak, and its tip ends up just in front of the paddle on the knee side.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

^^^^THIS!
<=>

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the tip, just the tip mind you. I love when a problem can be solved so simply instead of having to buy a bunch of bullshit.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
You can always drift an egg sinker and 24'' leader near the bottom with a worm.
<=>

Bigfoot

• Sea Lion
  • moochariffic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Black and yellow Panther Martin. 24" behind a couple split-shot. Under your leg. Limits on Donner repeatedly.
Bigfoot
Randall Ray Nelums
Cell (510) 305 0471

anything