Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:18:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 18, 2024, 09:36:02 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:50:22 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:21:34 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 06:47:15 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 05:06:27 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 04:14:59 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 01:34:22 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 11:23:51 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 11:17:48 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:34:09 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Help choosing a pfd  (Read 3122 times)

Crayon

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I like the Chinook and it does not interfere with the seat

Odonata

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I have a Chinook and also a Ronny.  I don't fish the ocean (except off the beach, non-yak), and also do some packrafting.  The Ronny is light weight for use on my packraft, and still has pockets for camera and box of flies.  The Chinook is nice for surf fishing because I can load up with carolina rigs, weights, fly boxes, etc. and I can also use it in my kayak.

(yes, I look a bit overdressed surf-fishing in waders and a PFD, but I have balance / neurological issues and rip currents are no joke)

Embarrassingly I also picked up an older V-8 (my first foam PFD) and I really don't like the fit; it tends to ride up on my back after a while.  But for short trips in the morning to get an hour or two of paddling in it's ok.  I'd agree with the advice to try out a few.  It's a bit like hiking boots or climbing shoes, very personal decision.

Tinker

I bought Astral PFD's for the grandkids - they're still young and the Astral line has more than enough floatation for their weight.

I just looked at them, and the Astral's are almost twice as thick in the front as the adult Sholquist and Kokatat PFD's in the closet.

I don't know if that would affect your ability to get back on your kayak or not, but it's worth considering.

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
stohlquist high back --5 years--heck even higher end motorcycle jackets zippers fail sometimes... not this pfd though,saltwater tough ass item imho and no zipper failures..tons of sand and grit and trips on it..unreal...

worth every penny to have it--trip after trip
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
That is a ton of info to process. I plan to fish local lakes. Possibly the delta at some point but likely not alone and not in horrible weather. I am a really strong swimmer and have no problem getting out of the water with or without a pfd. I have been eyeing the Stohlquist and I hadn't heard about the minimal requirements and that astral shoots to squeak by so I will have to look at that more. My only experience with the Chinook was I tried it on in Montana and it was on clearance at Cabelas for $65 and it was really hard to pass up. It just didn't feel good and I know if I don't like it in the store I sure as hell am not going to wear it in the field. I guess I should have mentioned I have pretty broad shoulders if that changes things at all. I don't have a gut as well. I am checking into all of these suggestions as I really only want to make this purchase once. Thanks again.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I really like Stohlquist Keeper over the Fisherman.  Its their newest model.  No regrets selling my old one.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=77739.0
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

BaitMaster

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I have a chinook...

I ordered it online during the week, so I could take the yak out that same weekend. So, I have limited experience with other brands and models.

I'm 5' 8" 130lbs with broad shoulders....obviously, no belly bulge, lol.

I strap it up tight and can fish all day comfortably.

Limited experience, but my 2 cents.

What's your body type?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

When I'm NOT fishin'...I'm Wishin'

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I have a chinook...

I ordered it online during the week, so I could take the yak out that same weekend. So, I have limited experience with other brands and models.

I'm 5' 8" 130lbs with broad shoulders....obviously, no belly bulge, lol.

I strap it up tight and can fish all day comfortably.

Limited experience, but my 2 cents.

What's your body type?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Just b
6'0 220lb V shape with pretty broad shoulders. No gut. The chinook just felt bulky and awkward on me My chest is pretty prominent from working the glamour muscles too much. I ditched a fly vest for a tiny chest pack I use more as a sling in a way due to my distaste for having too much crap on me. Just funny like that  I guess.