Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 18, 2024, 09:36:02 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:50:22 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:21:34 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 06:47:15 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 05:06:27 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 04:14:59 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 01:34:22 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 11:23:51 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 11:17:48 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:34:09 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Help choosing a pfd  (Read 3122 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I've got the stohlquist fisherman and it's ok. But the next one I buy won't have pockets in the front (or anywhere else) as those are easy to snag when trying to self rescue. I'm going for the flat chest look next time....
Guess I got what I deserved
Kept you waiting there too long, my love
All that time without a word
Didn't know you'd think that I'd forget
Or I'd regret ...

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I really like my Stolhquist Keeper pfd.  The flat thin back is designed for the newer high back seats.  I've owned the NRS Chinook and Stohlquist Fisherman and Keeper is my favorite specially the pocket design.  It's flatter but has more storage room.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Probably best to avoid an inflatable vest if you're heading out into the open ocean. You want a fail-proof foam vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

I have the NRS cVest, works great for me.  If I have to do it again, I would do another cVest with the Chinook a very close second.  I think a high back is a must.  You can find either on sale now online.

Do you find yourself using the pockets? I ditched the fly vest wading because I just found myself loading all the pockets and it was just a pain to lug multiple boxes of flys I likely didn't need and every other piece I just didn't need. I now carry Fishpond  San Jaun like a sling pack on my left with a 900 fly cabelas box in it and that is all.  Do you guys really need the front pockets on these if you are sitting in a yak?
I use the pockets on my Chinook vest. If you're heading offshore, it's possible you could get separated from your kayak. I try to be prepared in case that happens.

In pockets:

-iPhone (in waterproof case)
-Safety whistle (and sometimes a fish whistle, too)
-Compass
- Little baggy of swivels, snaps, mooching bands, etc.

Clipped to vest:
-VHF radio
-Safety knife

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Probably best to avoid an inflatable vest if you're heading out into the open ocean. You want a fail-proof foam vest.

+1
Problem is you guys are putting words in his mouth that he specifically didn't say.  Not everyone fishes the ocean.

I have no plans at this time to fish the ocean.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
I've got the stohlquist fisherman and it's ok. But the next one I buy won't have pockets in the front (or anywhere else) as those are easy to snag when trying to self rescue. I'm going for the flat chest look next time....

Lol ... kayakers inside joke ... nice one.

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

+1

Problem is you guys are putting words in his mouth that he specifically didn't say.  Not everyone fishes the ocean.

I have no plans at this time to fish the ocean.

Good point, but my suggestion is applicable whether its ocean or not.  You just dont want to have a fail safety gear.

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Skimmed through and missed the part about not going in the ocean. My bad.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
To throw another 2 cents in, I bought a new pfd a few years back and put it to the test in rough water

The front flotation on it is bulkier so it got in the way, made it tough to climb back on my yak

Took a lot of tries to get back on board and thought I might have to take it off

Whatever you get make sure it isn't too bulky in front

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
To throw another 2 cents in, I bought a new pfd a few years back and put it to the test in rough water

The front flotation on it is bulkier so it got in the way, made it tough to climb back on my yak

Took a lot of tries to get back on board and thought I might have to take it off

PFDs are designed to have more floatation in the front so they can roll you over face up should you become unconscious.

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
Try on as many PFDs as you can. Buy one that is comfortable to wear. You will be wearing that for hours on end, and if it is not comfortable in the store, imagine how bad it will be at the end of the day. An uncomfortable PFD gets taken off, and is useless at that point.

If you want that PFD to be comfortable while sitting in a jackson kayak seat, bring the seat with you to the store when you go shopping.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Thanks to all. I am down to the Astral V eight and what ever they have in stock at Kayak city when I head out there in a week or so to pick up the yak.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005

PFDs are designed to have more floatation in the front so they can roll you over face up should you become unconscious.

That's true but if you look at different pfds some of them are fatter in front than others which spread the floatation around more gracefully.

This isn't a hypothetical, I've had three different PFDs and because I tend to fish rough water I've put all three to the test. Any pfd will keep you afloat, but if you're in the water the first thing you need to do is get yourself back on your yak.

Looking back on my experience with the 'fat' pfd I either had to take it off or unzip it to get back on my yak, can't remember. This was in rough water off of Stinson last year or a few years back between there and Muir, not a nice zone to swim but not frigid water. In seriously cold water it would be even more of a problem even if conditions were calm.

I don't know where this guy is planning to fish, my only point is if you're fishing from a yak you want a pfd that doesn't get in the way if/when you need to climb back on

Tinker

Your PFD must have enough floatation to make it easy to keep your head above water.  The issue I have with the Astral line is that they use the absolute minimum amount of floatation necessary to meet the USCG requirements for a Class III PFD, and Class III PFD's are not required to keep an unconscious person's head above water.

I'm a fly fisher, too.  I'd be happy to wager I carry far less with me than most folks because all of what I take with me fits into a 4x1x6" box.  I use Kokatat Bahia Tour PFD's.  The Kokatat has five pockets if I count the slash pockets and the radio pocket, and two lash points for an emergency knife.  The pockets are reasonably flat until I put the radio in its dedicated pocket.  That sticks out a fair amount, but since you're not heading out to sea, that wouldn't be a problem.

I carry nippers, hemostats, a small pocket camera, a whistle and a compass in the full-sized pockets; leaders and my car keys in the slash pockets.  None of it interferes with getting back on top quickly n rough seas.  DAMHIK.

I use it with a Hobie Revo and a OK Trident and it's comfortable enough.  I like to be as comfortable as anyone, but safety comes first.  Stohlquist, NRS and Kokatat for certain use more than the minimal amount of floatation in their PFD's, and that's what counts.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

This!
Guess I got what I deserved
Kept you waiting there too long, my love
All that time without a word
Didn't know you'd think that I'd forget
Or I'd regret ...