Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 06:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:47:15 PM]

[Today at 05:06:27 PM]

[Today at 04:14:59 PM]

[Today at 01:34:22 PM]

[Today at 01:30:05 PM]

[Today at 11:23:51 AM]

[Today at 11:17:48 AM]

[Today at 07:34:09 AM]

[Today at 07:11:13 AM]

[Today at 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 08:37:46 PM]

[March 15, 2024, 07:02:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Help choosing a pfd  (Read 3121 times)

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I know they are a must and i know I need one. I am waiting on my Jackson CoosaFD and given my absolutely nonexistent knowledge of kayaks and what they entail I need some help. I have seen the seats for Jackson but have not really sat in one with a pfd. It seems that high backs are the way everyone goes. I tried on the Chinook fishing pfd and it just felt cumbersome. My wife has a s/m Astal 8 that I can squeeze into that feels a bit less cumbersome but I am not sure what the best is for fishing. Is there any specific things I should be looking for? Do I really need all the things the Chinook offers or should I look more for the astral? 

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Besides the obvious, what do you want from it? I have two decent pockets and a few smaller ones. I keep my camera on one side and fishing stuff on the other. I have a spot that I anchored a dive knife. I keep various tools and stuff in the small pockets. I clip my radio to the closure straps. I wouldn't change a thing.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I know they are a must and i know I need one. I am waiting on my Jackson CoosaFD and given my absolutely nonexistent knowledge of kayaks and what they entail I need some help. I have seen the seats for Jackson but have not really sat in one with a pfd. It seems that high backs are the way everyone goes. I tried on the Chinook fishing pfd and it just felt cumbersome. My wife has a s/m Astal 8 that I can squeeze into that feels a bit less cumbersome but I am not sure what the best is for fishing. Is there any specific things I should be looking for? Do I really need all the things the Chinook offers or should I look more for the astral?
I personally prefer the Astral style for the new high back seats.  Or any PFD with a thin back.  I use an Astral Ronny Fisher which I like very well but I wouldn't say that its the only one that would work for you. 

Stohlquist also makes a couple, the Coaster and the Keeper.  If you get a chance to try a PFD on before buying it I would recommend that.

I would say at a minimum any kayak fishing PFD should have a good lash point for a safety knife, and a good place to store a vhf radio and attach a whistle.  Anything above and beyond that is personal preference. I also like to attach my boomerang snips for easy access.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:02:40 PM by bmb »

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
The NRS Chinook PFD is very popular. I have one and like it.

My only complaint about the Chinook is the location of the knife tab. My knife (also NRS brand, go figure....) either overlaps the pocket or entry zipper d pending on how I orient it. You'd think NRS would have designed the knife tab on their PFD to fit their own knife, but I guess that's asking a lot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
The NRS Chinook PFD is very popular. I have one and like it.

The Chinook is fine for taller people.  For shorter people, with high back seats, the rear pad tends to sit right on top of the seat back and ride the PFD up, or be a big bump in your back with the lawn chair style seating.  I always recommend trying PFDs out in a kayak store where you can sit on the intended kayak, as no one can tell how it will ride until after you get it. 

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I am simply looking for something comfortable for the given jackson seat. It is not really easy to try on vests when I live so far away form a dealer and my kayak will be at home. I don't need much as I am a minimalist fly angler and I wil have all my baitcastng gear in the crate behind so I am not sure aside from a knife and whistle is needed. I tried on a cabelas vest style which I found to be way more comfortable than the highback chinook I tried on. I am not sure that having the low back will be comfortable in the seat though.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Anyone close to kayak city in Sac because that will be my only option to sit in a Jackson and try on vests. I will have to do it at the time of purchase so do they have a decent selection? Does the fact that I will mostly be in local lakes and maybe a few trips to the feather or the dleta change the type of pfd? I have no plans at this time to fish the ocean.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
If you don't need to store much safety gear you may consider an inflatable.  KC sells vests also and will usually give you an accessory discount with purchase.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:57:09 PM by bmb »

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Can you take your kayak to the store with you? I would think they would let you test it or return it after a trip to the parking lot.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
You really only need the seat, not the full kayak. 

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Anyone close to kayak city in Sac because that will be my only option to sit in a Jackson and try on vests. I will have to do it at the time of purchase so do they have a decent selection? Does the fact that I will mostly be in local lakes and maybe a few trips to the feather or the dleta change the type of pfd? I have no plans at this time to fish the ocean.

They have Jacksons on the floor, and a decent selection of PFDs. Go try it out, no need to bring your kayak.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

They have Jacksons on the floor, and a decent selection of PFDs. Go try it out, no need to bring your kayak.

Not planning to bring the kayak. Have to pick it up when it comes in in a week or so. Not close enough to just take a trip down for no reason.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I have the NRS cVest, works great for me.  If I have to do it again, I would do another cVest with the Chinook a very close second.  I think a high back is a must.  You can find either on sale now online.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Probably best to avoid an inflatable vest if you're heading out into the open ocean. You want a fail-proof foam vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

I have the NRS cVest, works great for me.  If I have to do it again, I would do another cVest with the Chinook a very close second.  I think a high back is a must.  You can find either on sale now online.

Do you find yourself using the pockets? I ditched the fly vest wading because I just found myself loading all the pockets and it was just a pain to lug multiple boxes of flys I likely didn't need and every other piece I just didn't need. I now carry Fishpond  San Jaun like a sling pack on my left with a 900 fly cabelas box in it and that is all.  Do you guys really need the front pockets on these if you are sitting in a yak?

anything