Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trinity 10/30  (Read 1229 times)

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
First session of the year, a little bit towards the end of the run, but picked up this guy in the lower river. First LANDED fish on the Spey, stoked to get the skunk off the rod from last year.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Good looking fish,I try to do that to all my new gear but most of the time the fish don't cooperate
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice Rainbow.  Thanks for the report and picture Wizz.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Way to score on the Spey Matt!  I've only fiddled with a Spey a couple times.  They're fun.

I've mostly ignored the T this year due to lackluster reports and my own lack of success.  The few times I fished it this fall were hardly comparable to any other year I'd fished it, and that's comparing it to the last 11 years of fishing that river.  It just seemed...empty.  I'm used to an all-day effort producing at least 3-4 adults, some Chinook jacks, and several halfpounders.  But the last all-day effort I put into it last month only produced two small adults, and I never saw a fish roll the entire time I was out there.  Definitely not the Trinity I know and love.  Did you see any halfpounders in the lower river?
aMayesing Bros.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I hooked one half pounder and two smolts additionally. No one fishing other than me. That's one if the reasons I prefer the lower river to the junction city/del Loma, plus it's a much shorter drive from the house.  :smt003

"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Hell yeah, that section turns into a ghost town by this time of year.  I fished the hell out of it my last two years of college (2008 and 2009), when I was helping a grad student conduct hook-and-line sampling of halfpounders and adult steelhead.  Getting paid 8 bucks an hour to float in a drift boat and catch halfpounders  :smt003.  Every winter, I'll still make a pit stop at Kimtu Beach and fish the uppermost run with the huge rock.  Almost always came away with a few halfpounders there, and every now and then an adult.  Chances are good I'll hit that spot this next weekend when I head over for the crab opener.
aMayesing Bros.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
That's awesome. I'm sure I'll see you otw for the crab opener but let me know if you're hitting up the trinity. We could even do a half day float from Hawkins to salyer or salyer to SF confluence if you can squeeze it in.

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Grats on the first steelie on the spey rod. There are easier ways but few as rewarding. I'll be heading up in about a week, either Trinity or upper klam/rogue.
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Grats on the first steelie on the spey rod. There are easier ways but few as rewarding. I'll be heading up in about a week, either Trinity or upper klam/rogue.

Quick question: if I'm using the skagit/mow tip system, what length leader for the floating tip and does it need to be tapered? With the sink tips it's 4-6 feet of straight maxima correct? Thanks

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Although I don't use the mow floater, 6-9ft sounds about right. I would probably just put a 9' tapered leader or make a 2 piece leader like 15/10lb. maxima.  Depends on what you're throwing too, big bushy skating flies like skaoppers or muddlers, I would probably just run 6-7ft. straight, small traditionals I would probably go tapered. Bottomline if it's not turning over the way you like, cut it back.

I fish skagits exclusively for T tips and bigger stuff (i.e. winter) much more fun to cast a rage/scandi for floating or close to surface work with poly tips.

My guide friend told me there are alot of steelies below happy camp on the klam, hopefully the rain will put them on them on the move and I can find them higher up next week.
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

anything