Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: WTB: Backpacking trout spinning rod  (Read 1736 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I'm on a rod buying mission after breaking two of them in the last 5 days.  One of the rods I broke was a small, inexpensive telescoping backpacking rod that I'd broken once before and Sasquatch resurrected for another season but it's given up now. 

What are you guys using for backpacking rods these days?  Not looking to break the bank, something with light action that will go with a shimano sedona 2000 for flipping lures in the marbles and trinity alps. 

Something that is light, compact, and durable would be great.  Telescoping or a 4 piece?  I had an old 6 piece Eagle Claw once that I didn't like but that was like early 90s or so, but i'm assuming that backcountry spinning rods have come a long way since then.

Thanks.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Purchased a few of these in different sizes. Great little rods. On occasion the eyelet holders will slip loose. They put minimal adhesive on them. I just re-glue them and they are great.

http://www.ebay.com/p/portable-carbon-telescopic-spinning-casting-pole-saltwater-sea-fishing-rod-2-1m/1244139733?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

They sell another one that is slightly shorter with little more flex that I prefer for my smaller trout lures.

The one I posted is a little stiffer for bait.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:20:42 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Purchased a few of these in different sizes. Great little rods. On occasion the eyelet holders will slip loose. They put minimal adhesive on them. I just re-glue them and they are great.

http://www.ebay.com/p/portable-carbon-telescopic-spinning-casting-pole-saltwater-sea-fishing-rod-2-1m/1244139733?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

They sell another one that is slightly shorter with little more flex that I prefer for my smaller trout lures.

That's similar to the one i had.  My daughter caught a 14lb catfish in clear lake with it.  They hold up pretty good.  Until they don't.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile

That's similar to the one i had.  My daughter caught a 14lb catfish in clear lake with it.  They hold up pretty good.  Until they don't.

:smt001

They have larger for that purpose. I just use these for trout.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:32:17 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
inexpensive, splurge, inexpensive , splurge ??? Geez.   :smt002
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I know, I know...

Just don't tell mrs oyster boy.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
I know, I know...

Just don't tell mrs oyster boy.

:smt003   :smt006
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Best pack trip trout rod I have I spent $9 for.  It's a 'Spiderman' telescopic rod from Walmart.  Bought for my grand son and after taking him on just one trip, it's now my go-to rod for hikes.  I've been using it now for at least 5 seasons and it works like a champ. 

While it is a spinning rod, it also does well with a micro spin cast reel

Spiderman rocks!!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:02:37 AM by Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry »

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I've been a big fan of the 1-Piece UglyStik trout rods, and usually dont mind carrying it.  But saw a 4 piece backpacking version and switched to that and love it.  Fits inside a backpack (hah) and is able to handle some nice sized fish.  But seeing the telescoping ones Alex posted makes me think I should try it for the price alone!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

LBSteve

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
 I ride my Adventure bike into the back country to trout fish. I use the St. Croix Triumph Travel Spinning Rod and love it. Also I love this and its a bit cheaper, https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Pack-Spin-Piece/dp/B0000AUY91/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488045355&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=eagle+claw+spin+fly+fishing+pole

It works very well and keeps you away from the water a bit as to not scare the fish.
I only want to be the man my dog thinks I am.

san miguel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I ride my Adventure bike into the back country to trout fish. I use the St. Croix Triumph Travel Spinning Rod and love it. Also I love this and its a bit cheaper, https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Pack-Spin-Piece/dp/B0000AUY91/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488045355&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=eagle+claw+spin+fly+fishing+pole

It works very well and keeps you away from the water a bit as to not scare the fish.

sorry to hijack....but where do you ride/fish possibly camp?  i try and make it out to henry coe once in awhile but it's a nice mission.  always looking for some folks to ride/fish/camp in the backcountry. 

LBSteve

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
sorry to hijack....but where do you ride/fish possibly camp?  i try and make it out to henry coe once in awhile but it's a nice mission.  always looking for some folks to ride/fish/camp in the backcountry. 

I ride up above Bass Lake. There are some small streams and High Country Lakes back in there. Just take a look at Google Earth. I just pick a spot and go. Some of those streams get Zero pressure and have some nice rainbow and browns.
I only want to be the man my dog thinks I am.