Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Need advice on crab traps  (Read 1720 times)

taklarry067

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Hello all,
i have done crabbing with the hoops and have had spotty luck in the past.  I want to switch over to the traps.  i have seen many online but don't know which ones are good for kayaking.  I am hoping that you guys can give me some leads on what to get.  I am looking for light traps that are collapsible.  The Promar folding traps (round and square) look good but i want to hear from the experts.  Let me know!
Revo 13
Hobie AI
ocean kayak zest exp 2

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Go to Gus’ Bait and Tackle in SF on Balboa. Stephanie will set you up with what you need at a very reasonable price. She’ll help you too. Very friendly.

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Im no expert but I prefer the square collapsible Danielson pots. Inexpensive and durable .Price is important as inevitably you will lose pots occasionally. I weight each pot with (3) 20" pieces of 5/8" re-bar wired to the underside with stainless steel wire(available at harbor freight). This keeps them from moving around to much. I also weight each gate with a piece of coiled lead(available at tackle shops) wrapped around the horizontal bar of the gate. You can also buy the pre-weighted Danielson gates but that is more expensive and more work. I use the plastic bait jars with a brass snap-clip thingy wired to the top to make quick work of changing out the bait. For your bouy/spool I use a 14" piece of pool noodle spooled with 80' of 5/16" braided nylon line(50' will work in most places but sometime I like to go deep). For the newly required ID markings, I use a small piece of plastic with my name and fish license#written in black sharpie clipped to end of the spool with a key ring.

Buenas suerte amigo

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Im no expert but I prefer the square collapsible Danielson pots. Inexpensive and durable .Price is important as inevitably you will lose pots occasionally. I weight each pot with (3) 20" pieces of 5/8" re-bar wired to the underside with stainless steel wire(available at harbor freight). This keeps them from moving around to much. I also weight each gate with a piece of coiled lead(available at tackle shops) wrapped around the horizontal bar of the gate. You can also buy the pre-weighted Danielson gates but that is more expensive and more work. I use the plastic bait jars with a brass snap-clip thingy wired to the top to make quick work of changing out the bait. For your bouy/spool I use a 14" piece of pool noodle spooled with 80' of 5/16" braided nylon line(50' will work in most places but sometime I like to go deep). For the newly required ID markings, I use a small piece of plastic with my name and fish license#written in black sharpie clipped to end of the spool with a key ring.

Buenas suerte amigo
+1, November 4th...limits :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

superd270

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Good tips.
One question though: what's the rule on gifting crabs? I'll have 15 girls fm the church coming on Sat lunchtime and if I can hv 10 only, I'll be short. I plan on having them enjoy 1 each steamed right there at the parking lot.
Going Fishing?
Winds from the south, hook in
    the mouth.
Wind from the east, bite the least.
Wind from the north, further off.
Wind from the west, bite the
    best.

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Good tips.
One question though: what's the rule on gifting crabs? I'll have 15 girls fm the church coming on Sat lunchtime and if I can hv 10 only, I'll be short. I plan on having them enjoy 1 each steamed right there at the parking lot.
I think they have to have a fish license to be having crabs but as anyone here can tell you I aint no expert on rules either. What I can tell you is they might better say a parking prayer if they come after sunrise.

superd270

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
An extra day license will it be then and yes, they can surely pray for a big harvest.  :smt001
Going Fishing?
Winds from the south, hook in
    the mouth.
Wind from the east, bite the least.
Wind from the north, further off.
Wind from the west, bite the
    best.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I don't think you need a license to eat crab. But you can only catch ten, so you will be five short unless they use their day license to pull a pot and catch some more crab. You can't catch the crab and bring them ashore, transfer them to another person and go back out to catch more. You also can't come in with 15 and say 5 of them belong to that person on the beach. 10 is the max you can catch or possess in a day. You can take another person crabbing to pull and possess the extra crab or go two days so you can get 20 crabs.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I think 10 crabs are enough for 15 people, with sourdough and butter it is alot of crab meat :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Good tips.

“Don’t count your crabs until they hatch... I mean until you catch”
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

moon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Not sure if you already got your pots, but I just got the new Danielson's from this guy for $25. Great price.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/d/crab-pot-sale-whole-sale/6389336436.html
moon

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Not to thread jack but if you use the hoop traps,do you still need to attach an id tag?
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: Mienboy
Not to thread jack but if you use the hoop traps,do you still need to attach an id tag?

Rings do NOT require the ID tag.

traildad has it right - you can only take your limit...
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

anything