Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:57:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Your Weekly Safety Reminder  (Read 4621 times)

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Glad you made it back safe! I never go without a bilge and pool noodles both have saved my ass more than once. Fixing a scupper hole might be pretty tough and how would you feel abouut the safety on the ocean. You might be able to fix it and use on a lake or river but relying on the ocean is a different story. I know it sounds like an expensive option but how important is your life. The ocean is unforgiving and if shit happens you might not be so lucky next time.

Yea I know, I'm going to talk to OK to see what they think. This is from their website though, in case anybody else would like to know.

http://www.oceankayak.com/customer_support/kayak_repair/welding/
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Bringing a tow rope is another must have item.  I've used mine several times assisting folks.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

VK

Bringing a tow rope is another must have item.  I've used mine several times assisting folks.

yep +1

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Had a tow rope, but still, it was pretty heavy. Don't know what good it would have done.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I keep a good sized piece of rope tied to my heavy duty fish/dive clip, in case I need to use it as a ladder step to get back into my boat. So far I haven't needed to deploy it that way, but it works in practice self saves!

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Had a tow rope, but still, it was pretty heavy. Don't know what good it would have done.
Change to lighter rope, I added 3 ft of shock cord to make towing smoother.  I am coming from first hand experience.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Dang man, glad to hear you're ok. And thanks for sharing your story! I carried a bilge pump in my kayak for 3+ years before needing it. Then had to use it 3 times in 1 month!! Each time to help a fellow kayaker. That was 5 years ago and I still bring a bulge pump with me every time. It's a relatively inexpensive investment.
http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1491-pumpkuhl.html

If you're ever fishing down this way, let me know. I'd gladly loan you one of my kayaks. And if somebody was potentially sinking, I'd help them out even if I didn't know the person. Because that's how we roll.

Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Change to lighter rope, I added 3 ft of shock cord to make towing smoother.  I am coming from first hand experience.
No, the problem was that my kayak was full of water and weighed upwards of 400 lbs. pretty hard to tow behind another kayak.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Dang man, glad to hear you're ok. And thanks for sharing your story! I carried a bilge pump in my kayak for 3+ years before needing it. Then had to use it 3 times in 1 month!! Each time to help a fellow kayaker. That was 5 years ago and I still bring a bulge pump with me every time. It's a relatively inexpensive investment.
http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1491-pumpkuhl.html

If you're ever fishing down this way, let me know. I'd gladly loan you one of my kayaks. And if somebody was potentially sinking, I'd help them out even if I didn't know the person. Because that's how we roll.

Dang that's a scary story. So it was COMPLETELY swamped and you were able to pump it out? Yea, I'm not leaving home without one again. Would have saved a lot of heart ache. Yea, I don't know who everyone fishing around me was or if they are a part of the community, but I learned something. The only help that was offered to me was an empty beer can for bailing. From now on, I am going to TELL people what to do to help me. "You, take my rods, and FF, and whatever else you can." "You, stay with me until I am rescued and then wait with my stuff until it get towed back." People often want to help, but don't know how and don't want to get in the way. You have to tell them, be bossy. That goes for ANY emergency situation by the way. Thanks for the offer, I may have to make it down there and fish sometime.

-Matt
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Good advice here - a pump is a good item to have, and flotation is probably more important. 

It's disappointing to hear that there were people out their with no PFD's or wetsuits, and it's ridiculous to hear that people around you did not focus on your emergency.  I'm confident that the people around you were not members of this community.  Don't want to go off on this here, but just being a member here doesn't necessarily make you a community member.  Some participation is required, and those who make an effort to communicate here will know that there is an active and committed dedication to safety at NCKA. 

We care about each other, but we also care about our ability to continue enjoying this sport.  When we see people around us completely failing to follow basic safety like having a PFD or a VHF or not dressing for immersion while offshore, we need to say something.

Glad you are OK, and thank you for sharing your experience.

Here's a vid of completely swamping a yak with flotation in it. 

I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Glad to hear you are ok. A couple things you need to do before your next outing.

1) toss your homemade pvc kayak cart in the trash and buy a wheeleez kayak cart that cradles your kayak instead of going through the scuppers. The few dollars you saved by building a pvc kayak cart just cost you a kayak hull.

2) buy a bilge pump and store it somewhere you can access quickly. I have mine velcroed under my mod pod, so it is there as soon as i open the hatch to check for water.

3) stick pool noodles between the scuppers and the hull, that way the center of your kayak is still free for rods and gear.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
F that was scary reading that, possible fix... I would probably get a tube. Smaller then the size of scupper n marine epoxy the B$&?h in religiously.. Maybe seal it too.

THIS^^
I would weld it first, then glue something like a PVC tube inside then seal the hell out of that as well.
As far as getting assistance from another kayak to empty your yak, it all depends on how prepared THEY are.
I've had to 'T' rescue kayakers in the past and had I not practiced it beforehand it would not have gone as well as it did. If you have a completely swamped kayak with zero floatation inside, this is the quickest way to get the water out.
Make sure your hatch is open and kayak upside down. The person in the water gets on the stern of the kayak and pulls down as the rescuing kayaker lifts the bow onto their kayak. Once the open hatch breaks the seal of the water the water inside will come pouring out. It won't all come out, but enough will come out to make the kayak manageable once it is righted. This will give the rescued kayak enough stability to get back on and deal with what's left inside.
Here is a great video showing what I mean. The actual video could be better, but the idea is sound.

<=>

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the videos guys, those are really helpful. I think if I could have tried that T rescue without flipping the other yak, that would have saved me from calling the Coast Guard. It pays to go with someone you can rely on instead of relying on random people, that's for sure.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Glad you are ok and thanks for sharing your experience so we can all learn from it!!

FWIW, I keep my bilge pump inside my center hatch, lashed to the scupper column with a bungee and tucked in between scupper and hull...out of way so still have all the room to shove my gear (fins, guns, weightbelt, floatlines, fish etc) but always right there and can't slide out of reach cuz is tied with the bungee.

Also, it is there 100% of the time...I don't take it out of kayak...that way I can't forget it.  :smt001

Best of luck with the repair!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

Also, it is there 100% of the time...I don't take it out of kayak...that way I can't forget it.  :smt001

I do the same.
I can't remember if I have ever used the pump for my own boat, but I have certainly used it to assist another kayak. Pump, towline, and spare paddle are all part of the hull. I hope they all stay there and only come out for annual maintenance :).
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.