Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:10:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: highway 17 revisited  (Read 2131 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
With rockfish season about to start, a lot of you in the south bay will surely be heading over the hill on highway 17 to Santa Cruz and points beyond. I live near the summit and am up and down in the Los Gatos direction multiple times per time, and I make plenty of trips in the other direction too (especially during fishing season...). The road is always dangerous, but seems especially so right now. Anyways, here's a couple of stories from first-hand experience.

1) Recently, I was heading up the hill following a small red pickup that was itself followed by a large truck. The road at Big Moody turn (the last big sweeping turn before Redwood Estates) was dry, except for the very end of the turn, where the road was wet. When it hit the wet patch, the pickup spun around and immediately flipped upside down. The truck missed the pickup by inches. I had to slam on my brakes and barely missed crashing too. Nobody was hurt, but it was literally within inches of sure death for the driver and passenger of that pickup. There's a lot of similar wet spots on the highway right now, so you need to be especially cautious.

2) Last summer I was heading to Santa Cruz to fish. It was pre 5:00am and I'd just passed Scott's Valley, going southbound in the right-hand lane. A car came at me at high speed on the wrong side of the highway---that is, he was going northbound on the southbound side of the divided highway. As I was trying to figure out what the heck had just happened, I met another car doing exactly the same thing. If there had been any traffic on the road (and there sometimes is, even that early), there would almost certainly have been a head-on collision.

Be careful out there...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Yikes!

Especially that second incident  :smt009 .....No bueno.

Thanks for the reminder
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
It's everywhere.  I saw two people road raging passing on blind corners on 299 last weekend coming home from Shasta.

This s a great reminder to be safe and expect the unexpected.  The most dangerous part of our sport is getting to the launch, then getting from the launch to back home.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I seen a lot of weird accidents on that road and i learned to be very cautious when i drive on it. I make sure i stay under the speed limit and watch out for any potential road hazards. Like other drivers. Be safe on any road you drive on! Peace.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Terrible how some people have no patience on the road. Having experience in a auto service dept. I have seen to many people driving on tires with no tread. Which causes hydroplaning on small amounts of water at high speeds.   :smt012
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I always look at the scratches and gouges on the divider in the curves and wonder wtf did people do to cause that?!  If driving the speed limit, 17 is pretty much a cake walk to me.  There are only a few spots where if your going too fast it could be dangerous for you.  However what I worry about most are the idiots that wont pass a Semi, but instead drive side by side with them through the curves and everything.  :smt013 

People racing on the wrong side of the highway is plain nutz!  However on Highway 9 it's worse than that... Sara used to come home at 11:30-12:00 at night and at the top there are kids pretending they are starring in Need for Speed Tokyo Drift.  And refused several times to even let her pass, doing donuts around her and shit like that.  :smt011  Cops do absolutely nothing when called...
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
on a positive note, Santana Paving came out in the last month and did a great job patching all the huge holes on the main arteries in Bonny Doon. Driving on the mountain roads is easy peasy these days.
The big slide blocking Bonny Doon road to Highway 1 was finally removed a few weeks back.

Now if the county could just get Highway 9 open between Felton & Encinal....
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I had a very bad bike crash in the 80's on 17. Still gives me the willies to drive it. I go 5 to pacheco threw hollister and out to watsonville. Visit my Mom and Sister on the way to hide the reluctance (fear) of that roadway....
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I seen a lot of weird accidents on that road ...

Weird is the perfect description. I've lost count of the number of vehicles that I've seen upside down on 17. Not sure why that's the case, but it seems that if you even tap a guardrail, there's a very good chance you'll flip over.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:59:18 PM by NowhereMan »

rshu

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
@nowhereman Thank you for the reminder, we can always remember to slow down and be safe...

I work at the Redwood Estates fire station on occasion, and some of my scariest moments being a fireman have been while working traffic accidents on hwy 17. Setting out traffic cones in a blind turn on a wet road is not fun! Sometimes, even a big fire engine can't protect us from dangerous drivers, drunks, and speeders around those turns.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
@nowhereman Thank you for the reminder, we can always remember to slow down and be safe...

I work at the Redwood Estates fire station on occasion, and some of my scariest moments being a fireman have been while working traffic accidents on hwy 17. Setting out traffic cones in a blind turn on a wet road is not fun! Sometimes, even a big fire engine can't protect us from dangerous drivers, drunks, and speeders around those turns.

Be safe out there Rog!!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

san miguel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
growing up in california and living on this side of the hill....i drive a big azz truck now for the mitigation of idiot drivers.  it's everywhere...everyone's in a hurry and out for themselves. 

a similar accident happened a few years ago near scotts valley when a drunk driver rear ended someone northbound.  a friend of mine rescued a girl somehow that was involved in the crash as she was crossing westbound.  while they were crouching in the median next to the k rail another car flew over their heads from the northbound divider into the southbound lane.

leave earlier...drive slow!

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
2015 TI
2017 Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Setting out traffic cones in a blind turn on a wet road is not fun! Sometimes, even a big fire engine can't protect us from dangerous drivers, drunks, and speeders around those turns.

Compared to that, dealing with sharks on your kayak has to be a walk in the park...

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
rshu---good reminder re:  blind turns.  closest I ever got to wrecking on 17 was a pre-dawn trip heading north.  Came around a blind turn, no shoulders and there was a stalled 60's vw bus in my lane.  Lucky no traffic so I could abruptly  loop around it. 

My practice is to set the cruise control at 50mph and stay in the right lane.  EZ Does It.

Bushy

ps great topic title

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

anything