Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Safety tips for San Pablo Bay  (Read 1990 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I'm interested in fishing near China Camp for sturgeon. With all the high water and a big tide coming I'm wondering about safety in the open waters. I'd like to hear from people that have fished that area. I've anchored in pretty fast current at Sherman Island. What's it like in the shallow bay? Anything to be concerned about?
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Hit the search button for MUD WALK. hahaha That walk still haunts me to this day.
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I'm interested in fishing near China Camp for sturgeon. With all the high water and a big tide coming I'm wondering about safety in the open waters. I'd like to hear from people that have fished that area. I've anchored in pretty fast current at Sherman Island. What's it like in the shallow bay? Anything to be concerned about?
If you are off the water by the middle of the outgoing tide on a king tide there is water for the landing.  I recently did a mudwalk and was laughing because I could do it.  Up to my knees, shoes stayed on, kayak slid well.  7-8kts wind is doable for paddle style.  7.5lb anchor for me with 3lb chain.  QRAS for that sleigh ride if ever.........other than that, if you've managed the ocean, which I know you have, it should be easy peasy chicken dinner.
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If you are off the water by the middle of the outgoing tide on a king tide there is water for the landing.  I recently did a mudwalk and was laughing because I could do it.  Up to my knees, shoes stayed on, kayak slid well.  7-8kts wind is doable for paddle style.  7.5lb anchor for me with 3lb chain.  QRAS for that sleigh ride if ever.........other than that, if you've managed the ocean, which I know you have, it should be easy peasy chicken dinner.
The wind I'm wondering more about the chop etc. There's a lot of room to build with a NE wind. My neighbor was fishing the pier at McNears I think and said the launch was doable there. I use a grapnel anchor and I have chain I can add if I need it. Thanks

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

MANBEARPIG

• Half Man, Half Bear, Half Pig: Im super cereal!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I wouldn't release your anchor unless absolutely necessary.  You can fight and bag a dino on anchor.  Paddling back against the current might be a no go for you.  It rips pretty hard.  If you get separated from your boat, you'll be gone.....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison

bwodun

the biggest safety concern on SPB is the wind, it comes up fast and vicious and when the tide is dropping the wind waves become very high and can toss you quick. always be ready to bail.best to paddle up current so tide will take you back to the launch.  have spent a lot of time on anchor in the last 9 years on SPB, and if the forecast is over 10knts usually go fish somewhere more sheltered ie pet river, napa river etc, like this day, we bailed for shelter of the pet river, and this was top of the tide, was only going to get worse

, cameron

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Not being able to get back to the anchor would be unpleasant. Falling off and not getting back to the kayak could be deadly. Its not like rivers and sloughs that have a bank within swimming distance. Definitely a safety concern that is different from where I usually anchor up. I will wear my wetsuit for sure.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
just pick the right day.  i think on a nice day that SPB is safer than the delta, as there's a lot less likelihood to get hit by a tree.  you also have less boat wakes to deal with than somewhere like sherman island.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
the biggest safety concern on SPB is the wind, it comes up fast and vicious and when the tide is dropping the wind waves become very high and can toss you quick. always be ready to bail.best to paddle up current so tide will take you back to the launch.  have spent a lot of time on anchor in the last 9 years on SPB, and if the forecast is over 10knts usually go fish somewhere more sheltered ie pet river, napa river etc, like this day, we bailed for shelter of the pet river, and this was top of the tide, was only going to get worse

, cameron

I remember that day. If the wind is coming from the predominant which is NW it's easier to be on anchor on a swift outgo. If the wind is out of the south it gets pretty uncomfortable. If it's from the east you are going to get hit sideways from the wind waves. It's not bad but you need to keep an eye out for a tanker swell coupled with the wind which can make make them up to three feet or better. It's shallow there. The mud is what it is. Pushing down on the back of the kayak while walking in is not bad. The worst part is everything is muddy. There is a high faucet up by the bathrooms but I'm not sure if it's still on. The best part of the tide is the last of the outgo imo. You don't have to go far. I've caught two just to the east of the cut next to Rat.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:10:02 PM by ravensblack »
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
It can get sloppy in a real hurry.
Here's a pic, taken by Mooch. We were the last two to stick around. Right as we were getting ready to pull the plug I hook up. It was quite a battle...look at the slop around....only to find a mud marlin at the other end.
The current can be as fast, or faster, than any river you will fish. If you do fall off your kayak, you won't be getting back on.
<=>

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I checked the current at the Petaluma River entrance and Point Pinole and they are similar to readings up by Sherman island, .8 - 1.2 mph. However Pt San Pedro is 3.25 mph. That is major current. I wouldn't want to end up over there. Sunday is looking a little calmer the last I checked but it is a NE wind.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
The chop can get super nasty if there's an East wind.
NW usually no issues, and you can hide in the Lee of China camp
S you get stacked waves on the outgoing. But since everything is roughly moving parallel it is manageable. Again you can hide in the lee of san pedro point
East is the worst as you've got two flows at right angles. Even a few knots east wind can make for some steep cold chop.
And there's no place to hide.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
All said, on a 2-3kt day all day forecast, it is glass and sweet.  Tide flow is moving like tomales or any other bay, only been at paradise, san pablo, and tomales, tomales is quite a river when its jamming. After you do it, it is doable and familiar, not to discount all the peril. :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
All said, on a 2-3kt day all day forecast, it is glass and sweet.  Tide flow is moving like tomales or any other bay, only been at paradise, san pablo, and tomales, tomales is quite a river when its jamming. After you do it, it is doable and familiar, not to discount all the peril. :smt006
I agree. Being familiar and knowing what to expect is half the battle. I wish we could have a topic like this for all the different waters we fish. Thanks to everyone.  :smt006

anything