Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: clothing and pfd's  (Read 3397 times)

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Quote from: Dalong Boat
Quote from: FishingAddict
Those waders will get you in trouble.
My plan is to ditch the waders while in the water.

Sorry, DB, but I'm not reading you here.  Are you saying you'll take the waders off once you're in the water if it comes to that?
Might as well cut the feet off and wear dive boots if you'd ditch the waders at least the water has an exit as you try to yard yourself out of the water

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: Tinker
You don't simply wear a drysuit, you cover your insulating layers with the drysuit.

So when you're in the water for 5, 10, 15 or 30 minutes or more you're confident that no water gets in your drysuit?  Congratulations - your drysuit is in better shape than my 3.

...and I don't agree that poly layers under a drysuit are enough for cold water.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I should of looked here before I bought these waders. Its clunky but I stay dry and warm.

https://www.amazon.com/Hodgman-Mackenzie-Cleated-Nylon-Boot-foot/dp/B00PCAHIFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485322905&sr=8-1&keywords=hodgman+mackenzie+waders

I didnt even think of getting a wet suit because I didnt want to get wet at all...

Those waders will get you in trouble.  Here's a true story from last year. 

2 kayakers fishing in the ocean decided to head in because conditions were getting nasty.
1 kayaker wearing waders gets hit by a wave goes overboard and his yak turns over.
His waders gets filled with water, he uprights his kayak, tries to get back but fails because to extra weight of water inside his waders and exposure to cold water.
Tries 2nd time but is now exhausted and out of strength and fails 2nd self rescue attempt.
His buddy could not help and calls the USCG, Mayday.
USCG sends Helo and DFW sends a patrol boat. DFW boat deploys inflatable to rescue kayaker.
DFW inflatable helps kayaker and tows him back to launch place.
Paramedics and Fire Dept. were waiting at the beach to check rescued kayaker.  He is in good shape.

Thanks. I thought about that scenario the other day. My plan is to ditch the waders while in the water. Probably easier said than done, I must admit.

Dude! No waders! Don't be that guy  :smt009

Also, in doing this you can possibly put someone else's life in jeopardy while they are trying to save yours.

Safety first

Edit: I see where you say you'll be using a wetsuit instead. Good for you  :smt001

But instead of deleting my original post. I'm leaving it up for anyone else that may have the same idea.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:48:34 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I should of looked here before I bought these waders. Its clunky but I stay dry and warm.

https://www.amazon.com/Hodgman-Mackenzie-Cleated-Nylon-Boot-foot/dp/B00PCAHIFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485322905&sr=8-1&keywords=hodgman+mackenzie+waders

I didnt even think of getting a wet suit because I didnt want to get wet at all...

Those waders will get you in trouble.  Here's a true story from last year. 

2 kayakers fishing in the ocean decided to head in because conditions were getting nasty.
1 kayaker wearing waders gets hit by a wave goes overboard and his yak turns over.
His waders gets filled with water, he uprights his kayak, tries to get back but fails because to extra weight of water inside his waders and exposure to cold water.
Tries 2nd time but is now exhausted and out of strength and fails 2nd self rescue attempt.
His buddy could not help and calls the USCG, Mayday.
USCG sends Helo and DFW sends a patrol boat. DFW boat deploys inflatable to rescue kayaker.
DFW inflatable helps kayaker and tows him back to launch place.
Paramedics and Fire Dept. were waiting at the beach to check rescued kayaker.  He is in good shape.

Thanks. I thought about that scenario the other day. My plan is to ditch the waders while in the water. Probably easier said than done, I must admit.
How did I miss this? Best post of 2017!

Dalong Boat

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016

[/quote]

Also, in doing this you can possibly put someone else's life in jeopardy while they are trying to save yours.

Safety first

Edit: I see where you say you'll be using a wetsuit instead. Good for you  :smt001

But instead of deleting my original post. I'm leaving it up for anyone else that may have the same idea.
[/quote]

Safety first

[/quote]

hahah yea wetsuit fits so Im good to go.

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
+1 on the wetsuit.  it sucks ass when it rains though.  a wet wetsuit out of water sucks. 

i do know some who use waders,   apparently when taking a dip, it compresses  pushing all the air up, and doesnt really let water in because the top of it may be above water.  i dont advocate for the use of waders, but thats what  i was told.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I use waders duck hunting. More comfortable in the water than a wetsuit and booties when putting out decoys and standing in water for hours. I do cross deep water. I know the risk, and I am ok in those specific conditions. Out fishing I wear a farmer john, and always a pfd.
I have dumped in waders, it sucks. You don't want to be that guy...
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Tinker

Quote from: Tinker
You don't simply wear a drysuit, you cover your insulating layers with the drysuit.

So when you're in the water for 5, 10, 15 or 30 minutes or more you're confident that no water gets in your drysuit?  Congratulations - your drysuit is in better shape than my 3.

...and I don't agree that poly layers under a drysuit are enough for cold water.

Send yours into Kokatat to get it inspected.  Dry suits are supposed to be DRY suits   :smt003

I was once a Coast Guard swimmer, wearing a dry suit over polypropylene base layers, and that makes me absolutely confident that my base layers under my properly fitted dry suit will keep me warm for a lot longer than 30 minutes in 40° water.  Just sayin' and DAMHIK.

No offense was intended.  Different strokes and all that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:35:27 AM by Tinker »

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
If you can afford a dry suit, get one. Otherwise, a wetsuit will do just fine. (Preferably with a relief zipper).

I started with a wetsuit and moved to a drysuit so I could stay warm, dry, chaff-free, and comfortable during LONG days of salmon trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

I snorkel and spearfish for pike in Montana while wearing a drysuit with a dry glove system and a neoprene hood.  I start in the spring when the water is in the high forties, spearfish through the warm water in the summer, and continue as the water gets cold into October.  I typically spend about 6 hours in the water in a day of spearfishing.  I layer up enough clothing under my drysuit to stay warm even after many hours in the water.  At the end of the day, I can drive home in the clothing I was wearing under my drysuit.  So I can say that a drysuit will keep you dry for many hours in the water, and if you wear enough clothing under it, it will keep you warm for many hours in the water.

I used to spearfish in the mango Kokatat Goretex drysuit which I also use for whitewater kayaking and kayak angling.  I'd wear a 3-D camo suit over it so the bright color wouldn't scare off pike.  Now I spearfish in a black OS Systems stream count drysuit.  They both work very well.

Drysuits used for kayak fishing can get leaks from the spines and teeth of fish, particularly if you let fish give you lap dances.  The leaks can be hard to find.  If your dry suit leaks, send it back to the manufacturer for repair.  It will be money well spent, and a lot less expensive than buying a new drysuit.  Then, stop doing lap dances with fish.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:39:36 PM by pmmpete »