Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Got all the way there and forgot my..........  (Read 1524 times)

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Just wondering if anyone else is as absent minded as me at times. It seems I am always forgetting something, even when it is foremost on my mind.
This last trip to the ocean I stopped by Broadway Bait on the way and picked up some 'lunker lights' knowing the water was going to be dirty and thinking this might make a difference. Of course I left them in my truck and realized it when I was all the way out.
Next day I was out there ab diving when I reached back for my anchor...left it in the truck..Doohhhh!
Fortunately I had a pair of Brush Grippers from Bass Pro Shops that I use to clip off to kelp.
It seems there is always so much gear and it is always changing depending on what I am targeting, I always end up forgetting something. And yes, I even have a checklist.
What's the worst thing you forgot to bring on a trip?
<=>

blondstallion

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
The worst thing I have forgot is my paddle.  I actually did bring two halves of a paddle, but they were the same two sides (my wife and I have the same make and model paddle).  I was able to bum one from some woman at Lawson's Landing, so all was not lost.

But I always do seem to forget something - lures, fishfinder, battery, fishing license and beer.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I launched out of SC Harbor, paddled half way to the buoy and realized I forgot my license in the car.   :smt013

I've also forgotten my front hatch and paddle at the house on 2 separate occasions.  I guess thats what I get for doing everything at the last possible :smt021  minute.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
When I went to Mendo last week I forgot my FF head but I had the battery.

Mike

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
I bet I got you all beat!  :smt005

My friend is VERY hesitant to paddle in saltwater because of Mr. Whitey. I finally convinced him to go out in Bodega Harbor and drift for some halibut. We got to Lucas Wharf to try and make some live bait. We both threw our castnets for almost 45 minutes with nothing to show but one big flounder which had to be released. So we head down the road to Tides Wharf to give the nets a try. Same story there. We both throw our nets for at least another 45 minutes then head to Spud Point to give it a try. (BTW - on previous trips I've always gotten shiners or smelt in a reasonable amount of time at Lucas or Tides, so this is getting frustrating). We put in serious work at Spud Point for at least a half an hour. All the way up and down the pier - for nada. Disgusted, I decided to give Tides Wharf one more try, this time with some bread to attract the smelt. Monte is seriously annoyed and just wants to get out and paddle & fish with swimbaits. I tell him I have way more confidence in live bait and convince him to try Tides Wharf one last time. We go back there and finally manage three smelt. We go all the way back to Spud Point and start unloading. We both get almost all of our stuff unpacked when I realize I FORGOT MY FRIGGIN' PADDLE! Needless to say my buddy was pissed and still won't let me live that one down!

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I often forget to bring my:

fishing license
sunglasses  :smt004
my "lucky" green hat  :fish4
billy club  :smt075
banana  :smt077

.....and SOMETIMES  bait  :smt002

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Not a kayaking one but, one from my past life as a climbing bum...

Buddy and i were going climbing up at Lover's leap for the weekend. Met at my house at 4:30am and hit the road.  
We're shooting the crap about the routes we want to do, have done, epics, all that.
We're pulling into the parking lot, and talking about our first route of the day (after a warm up route of course).
I'm saying, yah yah i brought all those special sized gear, what rope did you bring?
Rope? What rope? I thought you brought the rope?
your kidding?
nope.

Of course neither of us had the $ to buy a new rope...

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Steve, that almost sounds as bad as me almost forgetting to bring my kayak.  I already had the paddle, seat, and fishing gear in the truck packed the night before so all I needed to do is strap the kayak on top in the morning.  I got half way down the block thinking I forgot something and looked up to see that I forgot the kayak. That's what happens when I don't get enough sleep. :shaking2:
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Here's what I've forgotten,

Abalone Diving:
Forgot my wetsuit and had to drive down to Bodega to rent one.  

Duck Hunting:
One trip, I forgot my shotgun at home.  

Another trip, I was loading up in marsh and realized the shells were in the truck.

And yet another trip, I almost drove home w/o my gun.  As I U turned back to retrieve it, the whole time I'm wondering if I ran it over.  Luckily, I did not.

Kayak fishing, I'm golden so far   :smt001

Stuart

Kokayak

• Salmon
  • View Profile http://kratvillephoto.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
What's with guns and duck hunting? Two year-ago my brother forgets to bring his gun. He brings it in from the truck at my house so it wouldn't get stolen and then the next morning as we are putting our waders on to head out in the marsh he starts asking me where I put his gun. He saw me carry mine out to his truck and thought I had his! The only thing funnier was the next time we went out he brought the gun but didn't have the little green key that unlocks the safety on the newer Remington 870s. I almost pissed myself in the blind I was laughing so hard. His revenge was that I missed the only two birds we saw.
And you could hear me screaming a mile away as I was headed out for the door....

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Oh yea, almost forgot one. The same trip to the ocean I forgot the set of keys to all the locks I have when I go out, i.e., trailer hitch, yakima racks, cables to lock the kayaks. As luck would have it all 3 kayaks had cables with locks going thru the scupper holes and the keys for the locks were at home. Stopped by Mendozas Hardware in Mendocino and they were gracious enough to let me borrow a pair of bolt cutters. Lopped off the 2 locks I needed to and it saved the trip.
Thinking about carrying a pair of bolt cutters all the time for such circumstances or in case I have an access gate closed on me.
<=>

Travis

Quote from: Tote
Oh yea, almost forgot one. The same trip to the ocean I forgot the set of keys to all the locks I have when I go out, i.e., trailer hitch, yakima racks, cables to lock the kayaks. As luck would have it all 3 kayaks had cables with locks going thru the scupper holes and the keys for the locks were at home.

That sounds like a nightmare I have.

*<><Aliens

I would have to say the two most important things i hate to forget is my knife and my needle  nose pliers. Without those to items i have the worst time cutting bait and removing deep set hooks. :smt013

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
This ones not kayak related.  My other hobby is astronomy.  I have a few telescopes ranging from my 3" refractor to my 20" truss tube obsession.  Prepared my Meade 10" SCT for thats nights star party up at my clubs local dark sky site.  Un loaded the scope from the truck, the battery, the chair, my lens case, star charts, water jackets etc. Removed the scope from its box and walked it over to the invisable tripod that wasnt set up.  (20min drive home found it on the living room floor) Doh...
  Kayak related.  Not to terribly important, but forgot the anchor one trip to Loch Lomond in Santa Cruz.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade