Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:11:37 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 12:09:28 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Biggerthanyours  (Read 1698 times)

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Hi all,

My name is Stephen, user name “biggerthanyours”. I live in Clovis/Shaver Lake, CA. I purchased a couple of used Hobie Outbacks for fishing with my brother Tom and I am setting one up now for Striper, Salmon and Steelhead fishing. My brother Tom (why I got two kayaks) lives in Sacramento and I enjoy fishing with him on the American River. I also plan on using the kayaks for trout fishing. I really prefer fly fishing in the river, but not opposed to using baitcasters or spinning reel casting for success.

I am also interested in fishing the Delta for Stripers, the ocean for Halibut, Rock fish, large Lingcod and Salmon on a kayak. But, I do noÂ’t know the better areas to fish, the different techniques and gear required to create or allow for success. Any assistance and learned knowledge and experience will be greatly appreciated. [emoji848][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome to NCKA, Stephen (and Tom).  Come on up to Shelter Cove for a guided trip if you'd like, and I'll show you what's up with big game ocean fish from a kayak.  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
What equipment and gear is necessary or required to fish the ocean at Shelter Cove?

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: biggerthanyours
What equipment and gear is necessary or required to fish the ocean at Shelter Cove?

Immersion wear - wetsuit or drysuit with thermal protection under it.
VHF radio
GPS
Compass
PFD
Hat...
Fishing gear that's heavy enough to land powerful fish in the 20 to 40 pound range or more.

I provide the tackle and bait and show a method that catches all species.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to NCKA Stephen  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Welcome to NCKA!

Try fly fishing from a kayak!
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I recommend that you go with LoletaEric if you've never been there, he is a guide there, a long time member, and knows all the right spots.
BTW, welcome!

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
welcome local member :) when the weather cools down a bit, I'll be hitting San Luis Reservoir for some striper...you are more than welcome to join in on the hunt

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Right on!
Hey do you have any close up photos of your seat setup? Looks really comfy!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Right on!

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Right on!

Worked great this past few days of the American River, in Sacramento. We went in at

My brother and I were fishing for Striper. He was in his two man raft with a friend. I was fly fishing in a 12’ Hobie Outback with a large Striper fly when I got hit. The fish hit hard and took out a lot of kine well in to the backing, then proceeded to drag the kayak down and then up the river until it finally broke my 7 wt Sage rod.

Never saw the fish. I fought the fish for 30 minutes with my fly rod bent in half. I wasn’t worried he would snap off, as I had a 15 pound tippet. My fly rod was bent to the front of the kayak and I could not stop or slow it down from towing me down, then up the American. It was a 30 minute fight when the pole snapped and I fought it for another 20-30 seconds with the remainder of the rod when it finally broke me off. I never saw the fish, but it was very large and strong. I had half the leader line in the guides, but never caught a glimpse. I have caught 18 pound Salmon in the Klamath River on that same rod and could slow them down, but I was on the bank. I have never hooked a fish that strong on a kayak, so really have no idea if that’s typical. Not sure what I hooked, a large Striper, Salmon or whatever. Also, not sure that I did the right things, when fighting the fish.

If anyone could assist my experience, please do. This kayak fishing is new to me, but I enjoy the new challenges. Throwing a fly line sitting is not easy and tiring. Peddling and guiding the kayak while fishing moving water is tough also. Plus, I turned the rudder sharply in the current and rolled myself out of the kayak, shell shocking me. It rolled quickly and threw me off balance and I entered the river quickly. The night before, I was out on the river after dark, fishing by the light of night and the city lights. Luckily, I didn’t fall out then. I learned a valuable lesson quickly, but it really made me nervous about maneuvering rougher water. I did go through some rougher water and under the Watt Avenue bridge later with no mishaps.

How do you normally fight large fish from a 12’ Hobie Outback? The fish did pretty much what it wanted to do. I had little impact on what it chose to do. Plus, it was difficult to manage the current, fighting the fish and riding the hirer seat with a sudden change in direction. The river has many swirling sections in the river where currents come together. It’s similar to rides at a theme park. I was seriously worried about hitting the water.

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

I recommend that you go with LoletaEric if you've never been there, he is a guide there, a long time member, and knows all the right spots.
BTW, welcome!

I second THIS
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
What size anchor is needed for a 12Â’ kayak for river fishing?  I fished the American River this past few days in Sacramento and the 5 pound that opens to a claw would hold the kayak.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:43:26 PM by biggerthanyours »

biggerthanyours

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I went this past weekend to the American River to fish for Stripers. I was throwing a large Striper streamer, when the fish hit it hard and took off down stream well in to my backing. I palmed the reel and held tight trying to stop or turn the fish with no luck. It drug my 12Â’ Hobie Outback down stream for some time, before turning back upstream. After about 30 minutes it changed directions again and broke my 7 wt fly rod. I could not stop or turn the fish. I fought it for 20 seconds after the rod broke with the remainder of the rod, until the line finally snapped. I had 15 pound tippet, so really wasnÂ’t concerned about the line breaking.

How do you stop large fish on a kayak? Is there a specific technique to catching larger fish on a kayak. I was a little concerned about rolling in turbulent water while getting drug through the riffles, especially if it changed directions suddenly. Can anyone enlighten me on better techniques or things to be aware of or concerned about while fight a large fish.

I never saw the fish, but had leader up in the guides. He was probably still five feet under the surface. I am guessing it was a large Striper or Salmon.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Sounds lke a blast.  I've never caught something truly large and only in open water.  I recall just hanging the heck on and praying all my knots hold.  I've seen peddle guys gently adjust their position to keep the fish in a fightable position, preferably in front.  In a river I am sure there are so many other forces controlling position.  How long is your rod and what kind of turn the fish around power does it have?  Again, I know not much about your challenge other than the fish may have won that battle.  Only more lunkers will show you the biggerthanyours way... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything