Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:45:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:25:09 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AI Kayak Dolly / Wheels  (Read 2158 times)

JimmyD

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
I have the hobie standard cart and not too happy with it.  It's a pain to load in the scuppers and I think I want the sand wheels.

What are you using?

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I use the Hobie Trax 2 scupper cart... with the smaller sand wheels.  Someday I'd like to upgrade to the bigger Wheeleez cart, but for now, I like being able to install/remove the cart while I unload/load the AI.

Also, even though it's a little wet, I prefer to loading the AI in a couple feet of water (especially at a boat ramp or rocky shore) instead of having to drag it out of the water to put it on a cart.  Then again, I haven't tried loading the AI onto a beach cart and strapping it while it sat in the water, so I don't really know if it's easy or not... but it doesn't seem like it would be easier than the scupper cart.

Are you loading the cart while in the water or out of water?
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I use the standard Wheeleez and love it.  I'd also like the bigger Hobie cart too though.  But if I only had one, it would be the Wheeleez. :smt002
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Hobie Heavy Duty Wheel Cart for concrete boat ramps.
Wheeleez Beach Cart for beach / sand launches.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:07:28 AM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Kurious

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Hi Jimmy,

Remember last time my cart tire stem went out when you and I were in HMB? I had to buy a big wheeleez hobie plug-in. Rolling around is a dream come true now. But taking off the big float cart off the AI in the water is impossible. I am thinking to reuse the load-on-top cart and somehow mount the Wheelez wheel to it. The shafts are bigger than the Wheeleez wheel. I need to find a place to buy stainless tubing or aluminum tubing of 5/8" or 1/2". OSH and HD don't have it.

I suggest you keep the hobie cart for pavement/ramp launching, easy to use, easy to remove. For sandy beach, buy a load-on-top wheelez.

Just my couple of cents.
Kurious George

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Not to thread jack, but for those that use the beach carts, do you muscle the fully rigged AI onto the cart while it's on the beach or do you strap the cart while the AI is in the water?
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Not to thread jack, but for those that use the beach carts, do you muscle the fully rigged AI onto the cart while it's on the beach or do you strap the cart while the AI is in the water?

I like to pull the AI out off the water into the beach.  Open the rear hatch.  Put one hand inside the hatch and another underneath the stern hull area and  lift up. Then place on top of Wheeleez frame.

Off course somebody helping you out is a lot easier. 
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
If I have the Full AI, I strip down the sail, and one outrigger.  Place the wheeleez next to the yak, behind the seat, but facing at sort of an angle pointed towards the bow.  The its an easy lift of the rear and slide over a couple feet, and lay down on the wheeleez.  Strap it up and then remove the second outrigger and aka's.  Actually I do the same with all my yaks without outriggers too.

Ichiro--RG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
I do the same as Al, off the water, removed the outriggers and carry it On top of the big beach wheeleez, big wheeleez is much easy whatever pavement your in.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
I have also used my Hobie Trax cart (with small wheels) to just pull the whole yak into the water to launch.  I leave the strap attached to part of it, then pop off one of the wheels which have a twist lock on it.  Then go to the other side, and grab your strap, then pop off the other, and the cart falls out  :smt002 

To pull out of the water, I leave one wheel on the cart, and lay it flat, push underwater and then find the scupper holes, and then sort of swing it into place.  Then pop on the second tire.  :smt004

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I use the heavy duty Hobie cart wit rubber tires most launches except for soft sand beach launches where I use a wheeleeze. If you cut the tube the is inserted into the scupper hole down to the minimum, it is much easier to install and remove in the water. The rubber wheels work on hard pack sand like shelter cove and HMB.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

JimmyD

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012

Hi Jimmy,

Remember last time my cart tire stem went out when you and I were in HMB? I had to buy a big wheeleez hobie plug-in. Rolling around is a dream come true now. But taking off the big float cart off the AI in the water is impossible. I am thinking to reuse the load-on-top cart and somehow mount the Wheelez wheel to it. The shafts are bigger than the Wheeleez wheel. I need to find a place to buy stainless tubing or aluminum tubing of 5/8" or 1/2". OSH and HD don't have it.

I suggest you keep the hobie cart for pavement/ramp launching, easy to use, easy to remove. For sandy beach, buy a load-on-top wheelez.

Just my couple of cents.

Hey George,  I'm thinking the same as you.  I don't want to try and plug in when I'm coming off the water.  I am simply too tired.  I think an on top cart with a strap is the way for me.

Thanks,
Jimmy

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Hey Kurious. If your still looking for some  aluminum tubing. Go by any salvage place or Goodwill and pick up a couple old crutches. They make great frame tubing pieces. You can pick em up for a couple bucks.

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I use a home made SS plug into scupper cart I made. Unloading is easy, just lift and set off to the side. It drops off. Loading is more of a challenge. If there is anyone around I just ask if someone will plug it in while I lift the back, but if I'm on my own. If I am on my own, I open the rear hatch for a grip spot. Lift to waist high and then take a knee resting the boat hull on my now parallel knee, thus leaving my hands free to plug in the cart. then I just unfold my leg allowing the boat to lower with control. I do the same thing when unloading it for the inside of my van  :smt004 Not easy peasy but doable. After a few tries it becomes routine.