Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lake sonoma snake  (Read 9979 times)

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I throw them in the garbage.
Heard they taste like venison...really tough and sinewy. I don't plan on finding out anytime soon...

PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I read in a survival book once that when cooking snake, you want to roast it on a stick.  Do not boil it because the meat will disintegrate and fall apart.   :smt005
Etienne

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Did you ever see that show on the Discovery channel called "Survivorman"?  He cooked his snake on a stick, like a Kabob.  That dude is gnarley.  But they also have this show thats pretty much the same thing now called Man Vs. Wild, now this dude is hardcore, he is some ex-special forces guy.  He was lost in the french alps and caught a trout and ate the friggin thing alive.  Both shows give great realistic survival tips.  But yeah, I'd try the snake thing. 
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
I've never killed one but have skinned a few road-killed and have eaten it a bunch of times at festivals in the se states. its alright but not as good as rf tacos. Came across a HUGE eastern diamondback once, on a little island in the florida keys. The island was smaller than half a city block and this snake was 7 feet long and looked like it weighed over 20 lbs. Kind of reminded me of a GWS, total apex, not caring about me one bit. Hope its still alive and slitherin'.
BTW, that dog has got to have steel kidneys and liver to have survived 4 tags. Dogs are usually goners with a rattler. Kingsnakes are great for dealing with rattlers, they can smell each other and the rattlers scram 'cause they know what is up with that smell.
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
IN reply to Sin Coast. There are a lot of rattlers out there cause there is a lot of pray for them to eat Killing them just makes for more rats,mice and any other rodents around there. Yea you need to be careful around that type of country. As for the dog there are trainers that teach them to avoid rattlesnakes.

Nomad

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
A couple buddies and I roasted a freshly killed rattler over the fire while camping....couldn't ask for better fare. 

Sin Coast....let me know if there is any venison you are looking to get rid of.  I've been tempted to hang out in a guille suit in my neighborhood and poach a deer.  mmmmmmm.....bambi.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Nice image there, Nomad!
A dude in a guille suit...in Seaside. There are plenty of things to shoot in the Ord backcountry. Just watch out for the UXO (unexploded ordinance)!!!

I'm still not eating a snake. Shoot, I usually eat better when camping than at home! Tri-tip, and brats, and bacon-wrapped yellowtail...thats how I roll  :smt004 BBQ snake? HA!  :smt005

PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Snake is no different than any other meat.

It is all meat.

I bet if I gave you a snake taco and said it was carnitas you wouldn't bat an eyelash.....

I like it personally.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
Just like on the Discovery Channel!
Nice shots Ben!  I don't recall your Lake Sonoma post?!?! or i would have joined ya!   
Aint that lil camera SWEET!
Adam
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Nomad,

What about some of those wild gobblers in your neighborhood.  Heading home from basketball last Saturday we saw a flock of 30-40 birds and big ones at that.
Etienne

Nomad

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah, I have had them in my yard many times....I was scheming for weeks before Thanksgiving on how to get one without getting in trouble...again that guille suit would come in handy.  I guess they are safe for now.

bigeyedave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Nomad,
Pellet gun or bow.  They are both very good for quietly taking out turkeys.  :smt002  A few of us have done it.  Let me know if you need any help.  Spring turkey is just a month away.
Dave

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
C & R

Here's a rat snake I found climbing up a tree in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. After taking its picture, it slithered down the tree, straightened its body, and slid down the hill like a toboggan for about 10 yards! Craziest thing I ever saw. To top it off, my friend ran into it later and picked it up. It immediately bit her hand and drew blood.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:49:48 PM by ganoderma »
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
To top it off, my friend ran into it later and picked it up. It immediately bit her hand and drew blood.

.... :smt011 that's why snakes are called "snakes"....you just can't trust 'em  :smt011 I hate 'em all.....slithery bastards :smt013 They just freak me out  :smt009

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Great pic! I grew up in black rat snake territory. They'l bite once or twice, but tame real quick after that and they get HUGE! Up to 8, I think the record is close to 9 feet, tree masters real smart, I used to piss my folks off all the time bringing them home for pets. Sometimes we would find a nest of hatchlings, black or red rat snakes.
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

anything