Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:43:02 PM]

[Today at 07:32:12 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Delta Launch Locations  (Read 80698 times)

isaacgainz

• Sand Dab
  • Isaac Gainz
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
8mile west til dead ends turn left go all the way down and throw yak right off last dock

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Isaac Gainz

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Reminder: This thread was originally created in 2006. Lots of changes in the Delta area have been made since that time. I'm sure many of the access areas and fees have changed.

This thread is meant to be a resource for the NCKA community. All members are welcome to post changes and are encouraged to add new locations.

Thanks, :smt006
Al

norcal2017

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Russo's Marina ($12) and sugar barge ($15) launch fee went up.

Baitsoaker

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
wondering if anyone knows of any stealth type drop in locations for bethal island/franks tract area....places that are safe parking...I know theres a few marinas but was looking for something other than norm...any info appreciated...thanks

non fisher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
https://eastcountytoday.net/antioch-marina-announces-new-kayak-facilities/ 

check the comments, looks like not everyone is as happy with a new state of the art kayak launcher as I am.  haters. :smt044

I think we can all agree that will kayaks more than other boating the launching and recovery is the worst part.  So I'm brain storming on how to make a cheap, probably stealth, kayak launcher out of....???....plywood, pool noodles, indoor/outdoor carpet, 5gal plastic buckets???

More on that later.

non fisher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
recent photos of ramp with my boat (soon to be for sale!)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Interesting dock, but it looks like it might be a bit challenging with a heavy sot fishing kayak. And definitely not AI-friendly...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014

check the comments, looks like not everyone is as happy with a new state of the art kayak launcher as I am.  haters. :smt044

I think we can all agree that will kayaks more than other boating the launching and recovery is the worst part.  So I'm brain storming on how to make a cheap, probably stealth, kayak launcher out of....???....plywood, pool noodles, indoor/outdoor carpet, 5gal plastic buckets???

More on that later.

What’s the charge to launch there?
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
great thread!!  the Delta is daunting for a new kayaker.  a thread like this helps immensely.

non fisher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
[/quote]

What’s the charge to launch there?
[/quote]
IIRC some sign about $5/day parking but I've never paid or heard of any tickets.  Its one block from Antioch PD.  I wouldn't worry about Parking Pass unless the lot is getting full of trucks with boat trailers. AFAIK its in operation 24/7/365.  My only pet peeves/suggestions are:

1)People in cars obviously not actively boating like to park right up where I want to park for the 2 minutes it takes to drop my boat on the ramp.  They just sit there smoking and drinking in cars because I guess its the best view. 

2)No bathrooms within 200+yrds of ramp area, I guess because the area is supposed to be clear of anyone not launching boat (see #1).

non fisher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Big Break Regional Shoreline (just up river about a mile from Antioch marina and plastic pillows ramp)

https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=24148

As you can see its about 1/4 trail from parking lot to "ramp".   Trail is flat wide gravel for most of the 1/4 mile, so bring a cart.  I did it with just bow dolly but wished I had a cart.

Ramp is some plywood and or planks that go from firm mud to soft mud to muddy water.

Parking lot and ramp is FREE but lot has gates and park closes in evening (forgot exact specs).

While its not 24/7/365 like Antioch Marina and harder to launch and retrieve "clean", its much less crowded and less windy and less wavy and lots of nice shallow protected waters to explore.

I think there MIGHT have been a working water fountain and even faucet but don't quote me.

Posted as of today: 
    Big Break: Cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) is present in the water, and toxins have been detected. Avoid any contact with cyanobacteria or scums in the water, and keep dogs away from the water.
 :smt009

non fisher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Interesting dock, but it looks like it might be a bit challenging with a heavy sot fishing kayak. And definitely not AI-friendly...

Its soft but not too tricky to walk while "king konging"(carrying overhead) my fairly big and heavy Tarpon16i.   I guess you could also cart your boat over and slide from cart to pillows.   Main feature besides semi-soft pillows are the low hand rails on either side that make it nice and easy to Launch And Retrieve once seated.  If you got your scuppers plugged its easy to LAR while staying 100% dry from head to toe.

Main drawback of this Kayak LAR is often choppy water once past the boat ramps and high winds.   I've never seen ANY windsurfers.  They are common at the not too far away Palo Alto boat launch, and that has issues due to low tide/mud flats.   Once had a very worried windsurfer asking me "Where is the channel?!?!" because he was semi-stuck in mud and tide was going out.   Maybe the Palo Alto location gets high wind but it blows from West (land) so no big chop.  Windsurfers also common in SF Bay at SF/Daly City.

What is "AI-friendly"?

BillH

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2020
I would skip the pillows and launch off the dock if possible. I have a kayak (Ocean Kayak Malibu two) that cracks at the scuppers when you sit on it on the ground. As a rule, I never sit in kayaks unless they are in the water to minimize the risk of cracks as the bottom flexes.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
I found launching off of docks are more difficult that just shoreline launching. You have to be a very good balancer and quick to scoot ass off dock and into seat, without the yak sliding away. Looks nice though!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
I found launching off of docks are more difficult that just shoreline launching. You have to be a very good balancer and quick to scoot ass off dock and into seat, without the yak sliding away. Looks nice though!

a friend showed me a method where you use the paddle to secure things as you scoot across.  you start on your butt on the dock and end on your butt in the kayak.  the paddle is the "bridge" between the boat and dock.

now my hobie compass, i can damn near step in, and quickly sit down.