Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Delta Launch Locations  (Read 80307 times)

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
This thread was originally created in 2006. Lots of changes have been made since that time. I'm sure many of the county and state access areas have been closed due to budget cuts. The Delta Meadows ramp for example. Launch prices have probably changed also.

This thread is meant to be a resource for the NCKA community. All members are welcome to post changes and are encouraged to add new locations.

Enjoy,
Al
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:13:33 AM by Alfredo »

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Walnut Grove: New Hope Landing

New Hope Landing is on part of the Mokelumne River. Nice launch ramp and parking lot. Sign says $10 to launch or $5 to park. Nobody in the office to confirm kayak price. The water there looks nice with trees and growth along the river.

New Hope Ramp and sign

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Walnut Grove: Wimpy's Marina

Wimpy's is next door to New Hope. $10 ramp fee also.

Wimpy's Ramp

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Walnut Grove Marina is located on the opposite side of Dead Horse Island from New Hope. Also on the Moke.
The sign posted stated $10 launch. I went in the store and asked the nice lady how much for a kayak. She says "One of those little plastic boats?...$5". I forgot to check out the ramp. I'm sure it looks the same as the others.

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Way to add to the community knowledge base!  Good job, Al !
dwest -  just a guy. (Occasionally posting quasi-fictional-hopefully-amusing stuff under the pen name StocktonDon.)

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Way to add to the community knowledge base!  Good job, Al !

Thanks Don... I have a few more to add.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Cliffhouse Fishing Access is on 160 near the Rio Vista bridge. I drove right past this one and had to turn around to check it out. The is a Sacto County park with a self pay box, $4 for parking. This was one of the best non-boat ramp launch areas I found today. Easy walk down few stairs, across some old drift wood and to a small beach. Direct access to the Sacramento River with good vegetation along the banks. Looks like a great area when the wind isn't blowing.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Brannan Island SRA near Rio Vista. Just noticed my state park pass has expired. The kind lady at the gate let me in for a 30 min no-charge visit.  This is a very nice park. Camp grounds looked good, day use area along the slough was nice. The boat ramp was the biggest and best looking one I visited today. This ramp launches into Threemile Slough. From there you have access to the Sacramento River and the San Joaquin river if you want to go that far. Kayakers just pay for parking/day use, no launch fee.

Brannan Island web site

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I stopped at two marinas on Bethal Island. First was Russo's Marina. Very nice facility directly across from Franks Tract. Good parking with a nice ramp. $10 launch fee. It was interesting to see over the levee into all that water in Franks. I can see why this is a popular location for the bass tournaments. I'll be back to try this place.

A little father down the road is Sugarbarge Marina. Looks like a nice restaurant or bar from the outside. Ramp fee is also $10. Don't think access to Franks is any better here than from Russo's.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Whiskey Slough Marina is of course on Whiskey Slough. It's a funky little old marina with a good two lane ramp. According to the sign it's $8 to launch. I took a drive along the slough up to Twentyone Mile slough and Turner cut. There are some interesting tullies that could produce some bass. A few bass boats and jet skies on the water.

Here's the ramp. Check out the old boat in the back.

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Impressive work.

I am going to have to get friendlywith Google Maps.

Makes me wonder if the Delta deserves its own area on this forum.  What do you think?
dwest -  just a guy. (Occasionally posting quasi-fictional-hopefully-amusing stuff under the pen name StocktonDon.)

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Al: Inspired by your maps I added these links to my Catalina trip planning:

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?pc=server&lat=33.40833&lon=-118.22167&type=1&zoom=50&scale=250000&height=498&width=498&icon=circle_red_10_10_-5_-5|33.40833|-118.22167|http://www.tempbreak.com/index.php?cwregion=bzmtlat=33_24.50mtlon=118_13.30|^Avalon_Bank&latlontype=DMS

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?wip=2&v=2&style=r&rtp=~&&msnurl=home.aspx?%26redirect%3dfalse&msnculture=en-US

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=16&Z=11&X=28&Y=288&W=3&qs=%7cAvalon%7c%7c

I tend to focus my kayak-type activity in the areas of the Delta where the various rivers enter, or where there are large 5 mph zones That keeps me out of most of the powerboat madness.

Like the bass, I try to be in out-of-the-way places not attractive to the cruisers, speed boats, water skiers, etc.  I do fish the busy areas once in while - but almost always from "o-dark thirty" to before noon.

Reality also led me to maintain my own modest motorboat, occasionally aka yak tender.

I am enjoying your posts.  Keep up the good work!

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Georgiana Slough Fishing Access is located a few miles south of Walnut Grove. Take Andrus Island Road south along Georgiana Slough.  This is a Sac county park, no fee...that's right..free access. I was surprised to see a nice parking lot and a mowed picnic area. Good looking slough with rock levees and lots of growth. According to my map the area a little farther south is good for stripers. It also looks like small mouth territory. There is a dock and an interesting ramp for small boats. The big boats can't launch here.

The boat ramp. Looks ok to me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:02:09 PM by alfredo »

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hogback Fishing Access is located on Grand Island Road along Steamboat Slough. This is a Sac county park that has self pay parking fees. Very nice ramp launches into a cove that has LMB potential. The cove then leads to Steamboat Slough for striper action.

The Hog Ramp

Steamboat Slough

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
Awesome posts!  Anybody even thinking of trying the delta now has all kinds of possbilities!