Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:32:29 AM]

[Today at 11:27:54 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GS5 - Sunday, May 15th - REGISTRATION IS OPEN ON PAGE 21 and closes 4/15/11  (Read 138959 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Thanks, Berg, for the reality check.  I guess I came in hot on that one because I'd just spoken to Jack and I'm determined to not let this be a roadblock to a successful trip.  I appreciate you coming with your ideas, and you're right that we don't know that our group was responsible for the bathroom 'incident'.  Keep the ideas and suggestions coming on this, guys - I'll be meeting with Jack in mid February to sort this out and it'll be important to come with a plan that works for all.  You're right, Eric, that Jack was scrambling to have to catch up to so many folks for cash.  If we get him paid up front it'll help alot.  Another issue for him was washing of gear in the bathrooms - he mentioned that he can setup a separate area where we'll have hose access, so he does want to make it all work.  I look forward to meeting with him as he's a cool cat.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I did go through 4 of our sites and pick up trash that was left last year. We need to take responsibility for the area and keep our reputation clean.
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Native kayaks, Seeker rods. Seigler reels, b2 Squid, Promar. Stohlquist, Lingcod jigs.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Who 'floated in under the radar?" I'm betting in wasn't a bonafide NCKA member.
I say NAME THEM AND SHAME THEM! How many people didn't pay? Maybe we can all chip in and set it straight with Cap'n Jack. That would be the right thing to do. jim

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Quote from: Saltydog
Who 'floated in under the radar?" I'm betting in wasn't a bonafide NCKA member.
I say NAME THEM AND SHAME THEM! How many people didn't pay? Maybe we can all chip in and set it straight with Cap'n Jack. That would be the right thing to do. jim

I like that attitude and that's kinda how I feel.  Thanks, Jim.   :smt001

To be diplomatic, I'll refrain from focusing on last year and try to formulate a fool-proof plan for this year.  Whoever may or may not have caused stress for Jack, and regardless of whether they were NCKA, I need to look at it like it will reflect on me, so I will invest much in making sure this gets smoothed out.  I'm confident that I can set it up so that Jack's happy and we get the usual VIP treatment at the campground/deli and all around town.

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I have my doubts the NCKA guys went under the radar.  Jack is a hound (or bulldog?) when it comes to getting paid, and the honesty of the group goes without saying.  I am sure Eric will aliviate any of his fears.

Count me in!  I am not sure if I will be bringing the family.  I know I will NOT be bringing the trailer!  That was an adventure in itself!  White knuckle, seat on my pants adventure coming over the hill  :smt003

I can not wait!  It will be epic once again!  I hope I can stay a few extra days this year for some more fishing and diving.  I love that place......

Let the Shelter Dreams begin  :smt007

Matt

redwoodfox

not trying to step on any toes here, but just cause someones NCKA don't make them any better than anyone else. People are people. Some good some bad, some honest some not. I think Eric has it right, focus on the future not the past.

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
I'm in.Am I still a loose screw?
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
yeah a central wash area would be awesome....big tub and a place to hang gear while you wash your stuff down (kinda like they have it set up in the rental area at MBK (for those that have been there). I get that Jack was pissed but I can't imagine he wants to pass up the NCKA cash cow (I bet the ppl in the store would agree).  We just need to work together. Maybe Craig has some suggestions for stuff he did at Albion. Not sure if there were any issues there (or an pre event contingencies set up). Same with Eric for the FW events. Just thinking out loud. I do like the idea of a group 'police for trash' after the event.
-Eric Berg

LoletaEric

• Manatee
OK, central wash area is good - serves our needs, alleviates Jack's stress about wet bathrooms with sand/seaweed/fish scales... 

As for the store - he owns it too, so he holds the cards.  He's dealt with packed houses alot over the years during epic fishing, and the usual clientelle has trailers and powerboats, so I'm a little puzzled about how it became such a cluster for him.  He did mention that we took up way more space than the usual car/tent camper, so maybe I should have him make our spots double-size, charge more, and allow people to regulate how many share a site...  More thinking out loud...

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Here's some background.  Er, wait, let me grab a coldy...   :smt003
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:55:24 PM by Black Ab »

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Wow, alphabetical order.  I like your style.
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

LoletaEric

• Manatee
"...early this century, a group of hearty, fun-loving, tough, individualistic yet uniquely fraternal kayakfisherman created what would become a tradition along Northern California's Lost Coast.  They called it Gimme Shelter, a name with many meanings including, of course, the obvious - 'get me to Shelter Cove for some of the west coast's best fishing!' - but also it came to mean 'I want in on a gathering that, through camaraderie, competition, sportsmanship, adventure, and, just pure passion for life and the outdoors, can provide shelter to any of us in our hectic lives.'  The spirit of this gathering was created by the founders.  It was Abking, Swellrider, MBYakker, Sailfish, Sin Coast and sackyak.  It was an NCKA hookup with a focus on salmon in early March of 2007.  No fish were caught that weekend, but the group bonded on the water in tough conditions, and the adventures continued along shore and in the camp.  The next year around the same time a thread popped up for Gimme Shelter II - it was planned as a great hookup like so many other NCKA events and chills, but, even after much hype and a mini-epic lead-up thread of its own, it was cancelled due to hurricane-like weather.  A few dozen people were disappointed, but enthusiasm for the event's future was not altered.  The next year, 2009, the GS3 thread came alive - a few years of shortened rockfish seasons had led to a new phenomenon - people were so anxious to start the new rockfish and lingcod season with a bang after a long winter of deprivation that the idea of meeting along one of California's most remote and productive coastlines became an obsession!  The thread took on a life of its own and it was apparent that the Gimme Shelter series had formed.  That year we were lucky enough to have great conditions and we had an informal tournament, but, honestly, it was much more than just a fishing competition. There was talk of putting 10 or 20 bucks into an MBF - that's 'Money Between Friends' - type of competition, and, tournee or not, people were glad to be there.  Having received some generous prize donations, the call was made to make it a free tournee.  Anyone who competed could bring either their fish or a good photo of it to the potluck at The Tides Inn - because we'd filled that fine, ocean-front establishment - and enter it for a chance at a prize.  Overall length of longest fish was the determining factor for the prizes that year, and we had some wonderful surprises.  With no salmon season, the anticipated winning fish would be a lingcod, but some special things happened that year.  First, on pre-fish day, Friday, Domenic caught a beautiful Pacific Halibut!!!  39" and 25 pounds, and a PACIFIC HALIBUT!!!  Everyone was stoked, and it made anticipation of the next day's tournee that much better.  Tournee time came - we had around 55 competitors I think.  There were so many nice fish caught, and the numbers were ridiculous!  I'd say the 50-something of us caught and/or released a thousand or more fish that weekend!!!  The tournee title went to Jedmo with a 56" Wolf Eel - that was a shock and so cool.  34 and 32 inch lings made up the balance of the top three, and I think all the other fish that placed were lingcod, with quite a few over 30" caught for the weekend.  The tournament and potluck that followed were everything that we know that great NCKA events are, and the rest of the weekend, with ab diving, spearfishing, beach discovery, checking out the Lost Coast and surrounding 4000' ridge, was awesome - so many happy people having such a great time!  It had to be followed up, there was no option!  Early in 2010 the GS4 thread started up.  This year would be different  - there was pre-registration, t-shirts, a $1000 yak for a grand prize, other prizes!  This had become a bonafide tournament!  Another bonus of GS4 was that we had a salmon season!!   :smt007  We had high hopes of many salmon being caught, but only a couple shakers were caught during tournee time, and a beautiful 14 pounder was caught by Bird during Friday's pre-fish.  We had 85 paid competitors and went with AOTD format - that's Angler Of The Day, and it uses AOTY rules for the most part.  Big Jim won the new OK Trident Fishing yak, and so many people were in awe of how that all went down - Jim's demeanor was nothing short of ideal in terms of humility and grace, and the prevailing feeling was that he deserved it more than anyone!  The tournee, potluck, prizes, winner(!), diving, gatherings, uni, family time, and all the rest of what was GS4 were totally awesome.  When the dust settled and all the "Sledgers" had cleared out, NCKA had put its mark on not just Shelter Cove, but really we had created a dream.  

Now it's time for GS5.  It's time to live the dream again."   :smt004
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:20:59 AM by Black Ab »

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
OK, central wash area is good - serves our needs, alleviates Jack's stress about wet bathrooms with sand/seaweed/fish scales... 

As for the store - he owns it too, so he holds the cards.  He's dealt with packed houses alot over the years during epic fishing, and the usual clientelle has trailers and powerboats, so I'm a little puzzled about how it became such a cluster for him.  He did mention that we took up way more space than the usual car/tent camper, so maybe I should have him make our spots double-size, charge more, and allow people to regulate how many share a site...  More thinking out loud...

I am sure he will come around. It would be great to block off 1/3 of the place and say it holds X number of ppl/campers/cars. Those that want in can split the cost up to the # of ppl/vehicles allowed. If people want their own space (and/or don't want to share) they can book separately. Which I am guessing will be people with large families and/or campers.

I am happy to lend a hand if needed/wanted.
-Eric Berg

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Quote from: EWB
I am happy to lend a hand if needed/wanted.

Your help is wanted and appreciated - I just need to figure out how to utilize yours and others who are offering.  Thank you!   :smt001

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
you bet Eric...and at least this year my wife won't be 8 mo preggers!
-Eric Berg

anything