Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 40 Inch Club: NorCal Lings, Butts, Salmon, Stripers  (Read 47612 times)

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Finally made the club!!!   42 inches  30.5 lbs
Welcome........we've been watching you........you have the force behind you now  :smt007
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Fish_ON

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
As a brand new member of this board, this thread is inspiring.  While I doubt any fish like this is in my near future...you never know.  Always prepared and hopeful.  Do any of you pack heat?  Is that even legal on a kayak in Cali?  Shit those halibut over 40 on the deck have to be a couple of armfuls...even with a bat/gaff/net. 

Thanks for sharing.

Fish_ON

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
We do not pack heat.  A firearm should not be used on our waters to subdue monster gamefish! 

As a brand new member of this board, this thread is inspiring.  While I doubt any fish like this is in my near future...you never know.  Always prepared and hopeful.  Do any of you pack heat?  Is that even legal on a kayak in Cali?  Shit those halibut over 40 on the deck have to be a couple of armfuls...even with a bat/gaff/net. 

Thanks for sharing.

Fish_ON
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

Thanks for sharing.

Fish_ON

dude, no. :smt012
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Fish_ON

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Sorry guys, I am new and just asked a question.  I don't even own a gun.  Just thought a huge fish on a kayak might be more than a little difficult to handle.  I have also seen shows of BC/Alaskan fisherman using this practice....yes, I know that the fish get much bigger and they do it on motorboats.  Which is why I asked the question.  Certainly would have appreciate some tips on how you might handle such a situation instead of the tone that I got.  Again, my apologies...I didn't mean to ruffle feathers in any way.  Cheers.

Fish_ON

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
No worries Ty.

The firearms on a kayak issue is one that had had a lot of heated discussions in the past...

Gaffs or VERY BIG nets seem to work fine for the fish we get out here, without having to add the extra danger of a loaded firearm on a kayak.

You can also now, legally, harpoon halibut instead of gaffing them. But gaffing and then getting on game clip and then beating over the head seem to be the most common and preferred methods.

For diving I'm a fan of underwater wrestling and then ripping gills out until fishy calms down.

:smt001

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Gaff or Net & a gentle wooden shampoo will subdue most any fish we see in these waters.  You are always the best judge of what you feel your fish will do based on how it is fishing & how tired you feel it has become during the landing process.  Always expect the unexpected. 

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
No worries Ty! That just happens to be one of those complex emotional discussions that pops up a couple times per year...so people probably don't want to rehash it again :-)
This thread is basically just for pics and WTG's. Specific questions like how to handle a large halibut from a kayak can definitely be asked--but preferably on a different board, like General Fishing Tips etc.
And yes I know I'm being a hypocritical threadjacker right now haha...so I'll just say Nice Butt Matt!! (that can be your new screen name too hahahaha).
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
You are always the best judge of what you feel your fish will do based on how it is fishing & how tired you feel it has become during the landing process.  Always expect the unexpected. 

The butt at the end of this vid was 2.5 inches inches short of 40 inches, but even after I ripped all her gills out and thought she was calm she went apesh*t when I threw her in the tank well.

:smt005 :smt044

Luckliy I had secured her on the stringer already otherwise it would have been heartbreaking.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Fish_ON

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks guys!  I guess part of the adventure of wrestling a big fish from a kayak, if I am ever that fortunate, will be to figure it out...or not LOL.

Fish_ON

johnrice

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks guys!  I guess part of the adventure of wrestling a big fish from a kayak, if I am ever that fortunate, will be to figure it out...or not LOL.

Fish_ON
if you cant figure it out , just shoot the sum bitch

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Fish_ON
if you cant figure it out , just shoot the sum bitch

NCKA humor at its best...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

JJQ

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I finally made it!

Up till now my biggest fish have included a 38" salmon, 38" lingcod & 38" California Halibut.  None surpassing the 40" mark.

Last Saturday I went out searching for salmon in Monterey and after several hours of trolling called it quits.  On the way in I decided to try for a halibut at the same area I caught one last year.   I dropped down my 8oz iron and started pounding the bottom.  It wasn't 10 minutes and something slammed my jig.  A couple big head shakes and I new what I had and it felt heavy!  Took a deep breath, reeled up a bit putting tension on the line, grabbed my gaff getting it in position, opened my big game clip and started reeling it in. 

I was only in 60 feet of water so it came to color pretty quick.  Big Cali Butt!!!  I brought it up to just below the surface.  As it circled next to my kayak I grabbed my gaff and stuck it right through it's guts.  It didn't move at all.  I set down my rod, put it on the clip, grabbed my bait knife and went Kiet on it's gills.  As soon as I pulled the gaff out it went nuts so I dropped it off the side tethered to my kayak on the game clip and let it thrash around, pumping out its blood as the water turned red.  It quickly calmed down (died) and I slid it on the back of my boat.

Pat (SinCoast) was supposed to fish with me but sent me a message on the water flaking out so I was quick to send him a text and picture bragging about the 25 lb halibut I had just caught.  At the time I didn't realize how big it was.  As soon as I got home I weighed and measured it and holy shit!  40 1/2" long and 32 lbs!!! New personal best halibut and new personal best fish!  Take that Pat!

Here are the pics,
Josh

VK

bwodun

AWESOME JOSH!!!!! great fish, congrats, cameron