Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Official GWS Thread  (Read 196158 times)

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Looks like I will at least have to DOUBLE my time on the water next season, that's how worried I am about an attack.
Gonna make sure my ab card is full next year too.
Bottom line...the Tax Man can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, so why sweat it?
<=>

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile

blue, maybe I should leave names out of it. I don't know. I never do.
at some point tho, names come in to it. For the record, I'm a fan of
your whole schtick. keep catching fish and posting pics for us! It sounds like
you might have a lung issue, best wishes on that one.

regarding the permit thing, there would be a limited number a year, like 10.
they could auction them off or some thing. highest bidder. or just put a really
high price on them. I think a tarpon permit is really expensive in florida.
it's the same kind of deal. They would still be protected. But there would
be a pressure relief valve of sorts.

malibu, if it sounded apocalyptic, I think you have to ask if that's
how you read it. It's hard to separate how one reads things from how they
were written. everybody interprets things differently. I do tend to be a little
hyperbolic, mainly because I don't have the patience to make a point gently.
don't let that cloud the message.

best,

j

john m. airey

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

blue, maybe I should leave names out of it. I don't know. I never do.
at some point tho, names come in to it. For the record, I'm a fan of
your whole schtick. keep catching fish and posting pics for us! It sounds like
you might have a lung issue, best wishes on that one.

regarding the permit thing, there would be a limited number a year, like 10.
they could auction them off or some thing. highest bidder. or just put a really
high price on them. I think a tarpon permit is really expensive in florida.
it's the same kind of deal. They would still be protected. But there would
be a pressure relief valve of sorts.

malibu, if it sounded apocalyptic, I think you have to ask if that's
how you read it. It's hard to separate how one reads things from how they
were written. everybody interprets things differently. I do tend to be a little
hyperbolic, mainly because I don't have the patience to make a point gently.
don't let that cloud the message.

best,

j

No problem, sorry about that...Maybe I read it differently than you intended...
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I still can't place it...I'm guessing it's the Dux buoy. I see two birds on it...hmmm, no sea lions on it. the water looks choppy. There looks like a disturbance of some sort in the water to the left of the buoy, but maybe I'm just reaching too far. I'm not sure what I'm looking for...

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
What's that green square on the left of the buoy. opposite the DR on the right side?

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
1) Bill, don't forget there are a fair number of us that dive from our kayaks. Don't make us feel left out by not including us in the shark bait statistics! (I know that once we leave the confines of the boat we're no longer yakking, but my point is that we post here and worry there.)

2) The use of surfboards by the researchers to attract sharks seems nothing but ludicrous to me. Really so since some of them are surfers!

3) Don't get too carried away with the huge profits to be made from shark permits. Not fair to the guys who don't have the 36' boat, and certainly not a trend I'd like to start as applies to salmon, etc.
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Blue, why are your diving days over? Sorry to here that (I'd picture you taking a WS freediving :smt002).
From the lecture I went to by the Pelagic research foundation and from the book I recently read (Jaws of Death?), I gleaned that surfboards were a mainstay of shark lures. I certainly don't mean to disrespect the research or researchers, and I think I understand the fascination of seeing such an animal up close (never seen one myself except in the Monterey aquarium); I just don't understand what sort of knowledge has been gained by constantly luring in GW's to a boat and filming them. It doesn't seem like the a scientific method of study like tagging or counting. Also, it seems there was some animosity from the researchers toward the Great White expeditions, a cage diving company that operates at the Farallons. It seems to me that they were doing pretty much the same thing the researchers were doing - attractring sharks so that people can look at them. Sure there was money involved, but there is in any dive operation. And unless it's a hunting trip, that's what you're paying to do - look at beautiful fascinating creatures. Certainly the most exciting dive I ever did was a shark dive in the Coral Sea. It is WAY educational too.
Lastly, I think Blue and I would agree, you can't over-emphasize the troubling trend of sharks grabbing fish at boats. If anyone trusts the aim of a 15' hungry great white to just grab the fish and not touch the kayak or it's occupant, I think they are being naive. And with the narrow less-stable boats such as my Nomad, the only way to fight a bigger fish without tipping is to hang your feet over the side. I'm hoping my next ride will be different...
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Malibu2

You been out to Dux much?

Only once this past summer. I trolled around the buoy several times...In previous summers, I've been out to the buoy on numerous occasions. I'm still stumped though!
 Andrew

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don't know how long coastside et. al. have been around, but it's possible GWS were "stealing" fish all along,
we just didn't hear about it as much or as easily as we can in the internet age. It would be a good thing to
track tho.

also tote makes a comment like, "the tax man can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, so why worry about it".
well, I'm glad we got guys like tote around, but the point is that we CAN do something about it. If humans want GWS
dead, then they'd be dead. We are choosing to let them live.

So the question is whether or not the numbers should be controlled such that they pose less risk to
the crazy risk taking fools like us that head out into the ocean on kayaks, swim in the ocean unprotected, sit on
surfboards, etc, instead of sitting home and watching TV?

Personally it'd make me feel a lot better to know a couple GWS were executed every year. That's pure emotion tho.
I've always liked the pinnepeds, obnoxious as they are. I've been chased out of the water by a pinneped at flat
rock, north of mavericks. Big big bull sea lion. foggy. scary. I still like those guys.

no life flights or skilled surgeons for this gal:

died the next day.

Reading about the 20' mother orca that killed a 10' great white at the farallons and let its 10' calf eat the sharks
liver gave me a nice sense of mammal-centric retribution.  If any orcas are reading this post, thanks man.  :smt003.
not that orca's aren't scary too, but I think there's only one recorded orca possible hit, on a kneeboarder in big sur.

finally, if the sharks start to figure out that those surfboards don't taste good, then I'm all for using surfboards with
nobody on them to teach them this fact.  I say that as a long time surfer.
I think it would be an excellent idea to tow a kayak around aNo and see if
it gets hit. I'd like to know. If the shark hits it, you'd think it would be more careful the next time, I mean it's going to
lose some teeth on that yak.  hmm, I wonder if we can get sean to try this?

This is one reason I got a yak in the 15 foot range, I'm hopeing the larger sharks have had time to figure out what's
worth hitting, hopefully I'm too big for the stupid drunk teenage sharks, I'm the size of a solid bull elephant seal, only
the very largest of GWS will hit me, and there's got to be fewer of those things and they are hopefully wiser.

john m. airey

Gowen4bigfish

if you look a the height of the chop of the water. and then look at how high the buoy is out of the water it is clear that buoy is twice as  high out of the water than it should be.

My guess is the buoy and the two birds on it spotted a GWS, and my second guess is it must be a damn big one if it's got a bouy trying to get out of the water.

Looks like the boaters are trying to get the hell out of there too.  :smt003
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 11:49:23 AM by Gowen4bigfish »

Gowen4bigfish

On a more serious note; if you look back to the eary 1900's lets say 1920-1940 less than half the population in the USA didn't even know how to swim, gusesstimate   and when the surf craze hit most of that was happening in the warmer water in S.Califoria not quite GW territoiry. Now in the last ten years with the availability of cheap wet-suits there is way more surf-dude's & gal's,spearfishing, abalone diving,etc. in the cold water.

Last year I went abalonie diving on opening day in Mendocino and then next day we drove up to Fort Bragg to go deep sea fishing. It was crazy how many people we saw on the way up to Fort Bragg who were abalonie diving. I'll guess that weekend and just that weekend there where close to a thousand people in the cold water area of N. California. So if you really think about how many  people are in GW area waters compared to what it used to be in earlier years, and yet there was only four reported attacks for the whole year. I would clearly say we are not on the dinner list and my guess is a 4,500 lb fish can eat a lot of food. So it really is a no brainer that these attacks are clearly a mistaken ID on the GW's part.

Given how many cows, goats, llamas, elk, horses, people. get shot durring deer season every year  they do a hell of a better job hunting than we do. Thank goodness!!

Gowen the thread killer. :smt068
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 05:25:16 PM by Gowen4bigfish »

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Malibu2

You been out to Dux much?

Only once this past summer. I trolled around the buoy several times...In previous summers, I've been out to the buoy on numerous occasions. I'm still stumped though!
 Andrew

You got it the first time around. This was the first thing I noticed when the season moved up toward Dux this year and I thought it was the work of one of the low-life commies

This was the typical scenario this year

But anyway next thing I know I'm hooked up to the 37lber and I have a bunch of pb's circling to see if I'll land it and after missing it, having it in the net then flop and run miss again etc and thinking oh well miss it again you don't deserve to win this one, I get another chance and there it is, boats honking their horns like it's new year's eve

That's what I call nice big salmon therapy

The play by play of what happened that was posted on Coastside made me regret I missed it and glad I wasn't there. You can pretty much imagine what it must've been like with a bunch of pbs sitting there watching the gruesome show in the middle of a big circle of blood. It all ended with a spettacolo breach and something that looked like a lung bobbing on the surface

I remember the day you caught that salmon...I went to Bolinas the very next day and was all set to launch, but the fog was so thick I could barely see across the mouth of the lagoon, and even though I had a compass, I didn't like the thought of being 2 miles out in the fog...The only shark I've seen from the kayak was a thresher jumping off Pacifica last summer. I saw a whale breaching on 2 occasions this summer, the first time being pretty close...Seeing a great white would be an interesting situation. I've talked to kayakers who have seen them at Pedro Point. Personally, if I was close to shore, I would love to see one not-too-close-up.

I had one day at PP this summer where something sizable swirled right behind me. No mammal came up to breathe any time after that, so I'm guessing it was a fish, and maybe a shark.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
No sea lions on the buoy.  those guys were gone, eh? 

Jmairey- I feel way safer on the yak than laying on my board with arms in the water also.  Lots biger and out of the water.  if  a GW hits my board, unless I'm sitting up he's likely to get a piece of me too.  On the yak that's much less likely.  Does make one think about extra flotation devices for inside the yak..... 

The thing is, when surfing, I'm way closer to the beach and figure I can always catch a close-out and prone in to the beach if neccesary.  Usually there's other guys around too.  I often am out alone on the yak, and though the GW can be right in the surf line, they are more likely to be out around the depths where we fish.  Lots less visible out there too.

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
allen, I think you are fooling yourself with the yak/surfboard comparison, but I hear you. to some extent it's about
rationalizing away the unrational fear. The key is that in all the surfer attacks, nobody saw the shark first. So you aren't
going to get a chance to do anything, it's just going to hit you, and either you are injured on the hit or you aren't. 
larsen was sitting on his board when he got hit at davenport, I don't think he was lying down or paddling.

There has never been a case where the shark attacked two people in the same place,
so it if it hits the one person, it's done for the day. you might as well stay
out and catch a few more,  :smt002.

A few boats have been nibbled on by sharks that seem to be territorial, like if they drift near the
shark while it's chewing on a whale carcass or something. that's one case where you can see it coming,
but it's also the least violent. If you don't sink, it'll probably let you leave. extra flotation: good idea!

what about getting sean to test a yak @ aNo? just ask him not to fill it with food.  :smt002.
foul tasting soap would be good. unless GWS like soap. they probably do.  :smt012.

blue, you are saying that the sea lion (it's a california or stellars, way more likely the former,  I think) was either shot by
a fisherman or eaten? is that the gist? I read a report about a stellar sea lion 1000 lbs, lept aboard a salmon boat,
bit a guy in the ass and pulled him off and under.  let him go and he was fine.  that was north of california.
there was that guy in santa barbara got bit by a sea lion, 40 stitches or so. so it does happen. 
The big males scare me sometimes when I'm surfing. They are really big up close. I've had a big dolphin blow out
the back of a wave and scare me poopless too. some of those guys are really big and really fast.

Does anybody know a single detail about thi 1989 death? I have emailed Ralph Collier to ask for more info. I can't believe
here we are all kayakers and we don't know anything about the only recorded fatality. that is lame.

owen, I agree that people aren't on the intended menu. but being on the unintended menu is still an issue. it's like being the
coconut when I'm aiming for a caramel. I do that coconut some pretty good damage before I toss him aside,  :smt003.
john m. airey

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.