Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:56:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:18:32 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTD 2008  (Read 4002 times)

InSeine

• "Whiskeys' for Drinkin', Waters' for Fightin'"
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
As usually the weather forecast was not as bad as what was reported.  We launched at first light to calm winds and a small swell.  We knew we had our work cut out for us when we pulled into the Fort Ross parking lot to find that Patrick and Allen where already launching.  Those guys are hard core.  Naoaki (uminchu) allen(alshobieoutback) and I launched and headed south from the Fort to join up with the legends to find they already had points on the board.  Once the group all arrived at ling alley, Nao and I ditched for our secret fishing grounds....082 on the GPS, where legends are made.  :smt044 Nao hooks up a nice brown and I follow up with a big red.  We fished North till about 9AM with a handful of decent rockies and I had a barely legal ling.  We then moved in shallow and met up with Justin and Adam in the kelp to hunt down the elusive cabazone.  Fished till 12:30 and got off the water just in time.  Saw white caps as we left the loading zone.  The BBQ was classic NCKA food fest, with fresh fish tacos, tri-tip steak etc.  Thanks to Allen and Patrick for taco fixings, Adam for tri-tip and Mike for more steak.  I hope I didn't forget anyone.  And now for what you are all waiting for.  The winner of the 2008 AOTY is (drum roll)  Allen (otobepelagic) with a 33in ling and 19in rockfish for a total of 198 pts. 
OG

InSeine

• Salmon
  • View Profile
OG

InSeine

• Salmon
  • View Profile
OG

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Nice report Jim,

Glad the weather cooperated for everyone.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Great Job Jim!!!

Really wish I could have been there and thanks for the post..

Congrats to Otobepeligic as the Man to Beat this Year,

Looks like another stealler NCKA Meet...

Any chance of having a round 2 AOTD this Year?.... :smt003
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Pacifico

• Oye! Que Vida!
  • Sea Lion
  • 12 seconds! That's all I need!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Greate report!  Congrats Otobepeligic!

How many end up joining?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 11:50:32 PM by Pacifico »
Rub-cifico

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Now that's what I'm talkin' about Allen!!
Great job!!
What was the secret weapon for the ling slaying????
Looks like you all had a great time.
I WILL be at ELK now that I am semi geared up.. ( Revo baby!! )
<=>

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Great report - that looks like a blast!   :smt007

Way to go, Allen!

Congrats to Otobepeligic as the Man to Beat this Year,

Truth, but Patrick is poised to pounce...  I have a feeling that Allen's ready for that and has an awesomely proud anticipation of it.   :smt001

Great report, Jim.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Had a Great time thanks Jim for Hosting. I figured it would take 3 species so I started up at lake Sonoma hoping to get a LMB and a smallie real quick then join the boys at Ross 1 rockfish and I would be doing pretty good. Got a 18" LMB on my first cast right next to the ramp then paddled 15 min to get to my smallie spot I got a good hook up right away but it came off just as fast, then I couldn't buy a smallie the LMB were bitting pretty good and I couldn't get past them tried everything in my box for more LMB :smt013.
It was getting late so I trolled the shore with Mooch's fav and lost a steelie after one jump, snagged a Bluegill and picked up a couple dink smallies but one was 12" I thought cool 252pts and it's only 8am and I'm headed to the salt. Well getting to the coast took forever I got behind every slow driver out there and I figured I wouldn't get in the water till about noon so I opted to try for butts knowing I could pick up a small rockie as a back up, fished Bodega rock and conditions were perfect just the drift I wanted but just got 1 underbutt and a suprise Salmon that put up a great fight in the shallow water. The wind was starting to pick up and I had no idea of the time so I hit the jetty for a small rockie got a monkey face eel but the only rockie I caught was 4 or 5" was going to take a pic just in case but I left my camera in my splash pants back in the car. Got to Jim's at about 2 and the boys were nowhere to be seen so I figured the weather was pretty good at Ross and I shoulda stuck to my orignail plan :smt013. The boys showed just before 3 and it was good to see everybody and have a killer meal the tacos were killer and Adam's TT was tasty. Thanks again Jim it was a fun day the drive home up the Sonoma Coast and the River was awesome. Adam what did you say to those cows?? Last shot for AbK :smt002
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:43:17 AM by mickfish »
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

sharky

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile monkeyfacenews
  • Date Registered: May 2007
thanx, great report..i gotta make it up there soon.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Congrats Patrick! Wish I could have made it but Ive got some mending to do soon, we did a hike to Tennesee cove for some surf-casting-one nice hit- but would have much rather joined the crew. Great report and pics!
Mike- you get an A for effort and plan!
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Sounds like good stuff right there.  Allen, congrats on winning, are you going to Elk?  Wish I could have come but I'm taking it easy this weekend letting my knee heal before the Elk derby.  I really like the format of this derby alot.  Good of Jim to put this together.  JTF
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
Thank You Jim for putting on a great event.

The alarm was set for 3:00 am but I got up a little after two and turned it off......many, many years and hundreds of different adventures later it's still the same.......anticipation is it's own timekeeper! We made the coffee, packed a lunch and checked the buoy reports......hmmm .......still looks crappy out there.Thinking we might need some sort of live bait we checked our improvised crawdad trap in the water agency canal next to the driveway for nada, guess the little buggers don't like 3" perforated pipe with inverted plastic bottles for entrances or maybe it was the polish sausages inside.
        As we turned onto River Road my cell rings and it's Adam hot on our tail. After passing through Jenner I pulled over at one of the bluffs to get a look (more like a listen) at the ocean conditions expecting to hear thundering surf and to taste the salt spray from the wind, boy were we surprised. Arrived at the park, unloaded the gear and waited for "first light". Adam showed and after he unloaded the concensus was time to launch. We  pushed off and proceeded out the cove as Jim, Naoaki, and Justin were driving down the hill right behind us. A bit later Al arrived on his Hobie Outback.
        We started fishing in about thirty-five fow and landed the "red' in about ten minutes and the "ling" not long after...... on the teaser with a strip of squid. Soon after I landed another starfish.......damn, yet another dollar to Patrick! The water visibility and color was amazing, clear....almost a light blue (Oh Boy yet another anticipation entering my brain). I stayed in shallow for another two more legal lings (released) and then made the move to the cove hoping to score a certain elusive devil fish. While there I landed my fourth legal ling (released) that had the coolest gold and black colors. I'm not sure but I think some sort of permit is required to harvest the amount of I kelp snagged up from the depths.
         All too soon it was time to call it and hit the beach. Earlier in the morning I had taken the preparation of stowing my helmet in the forward hatch.....thank goodness for the calm conditions, that's where it remained. After landing Jim and I had a small discussion regarding the probable winner ..........Mike (Mickfish) must have done it if none of us had completed the salt water tri-fecta.  After loading our vehicles it was off to Jim's for a veritable feast. Fresh fish tacos, cold ones, and a few good fish stories put the final touches on another GREAT day on the water...........you gotta love this site.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:58:31 PM by otobepelagic »
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Nice shot of Naoaki and Hunter...

Should make the Cover of " GQ KayakFisherMan ".... :smt005

Nice Talking with you and Toledo today...

Thanks for the Gear....... :smt006
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

anything