Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Sheep, Copper, and Verm - Epic Day!  (Read 2245 times)

mtitch12

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Took advantage of the nice conditions last week and took the yak out. Scored big with my first norcal and also personal best sheephead (22 lbs). Also got my first copper (19.25 inches), 3 reds (biggest 20.5 inches, also a PB), a ling, and a nice blue.

I finally put together a video of the day. Here's the link:

"Only need three more years before I can think like a fish."

Matt Titchenal
Hometown: Sonoma, CA
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/MattTitchenal
Instagram: @MattTitch

NCKA DOTY 2018 - 1st Place
NCKA DOTY 2017 - 3rd Place

Member of NCKA DOTY Committee 2019

Gannet Dive Team
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Congrats on the current 1st place on DOTY!

Good luck with holding that spot through Dec.

Nice seal action at least you know whitey wasn't around  :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Hell yeah dude!!!

:smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Awesome fish, and an amazing day!!

Congrats again!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
ThatÂ’s a great day.  Congrats.  Thanks for sharing the video. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Hell Yeah....
WTG . Nice fish for sure and video as well.
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

dirkbeachman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
bro you're stoning em on every shot!  Looks like an amazing day- wish I'd been out there w/you!
can't believe you passed on a ling for a sheepshead, yeah, I know doty. After that's settled let's go get some epic lings and reds!
thanks for the great vid!

mtitch12

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Congrats on the current 1st place on DOTY!
Good luck with holding that spot through Dec.
Nice seal action at least you know whitey wasn't around  :smt001

Thanks! Haha yeah I'll do the best I can, but I know there are some really good divers like BigJim who will definitely overtake me if I don't upgrade my lower scores... All that sea lion action made me nervous  :smt005

Hell yeah dude!!!
Awesome fish, and an amazing day!!
Congrats again!!
ThatÂ’s a great day.  Congrats.  Thanks for sharing the video. 
Hell Yeah....
WTG . Nice fish for sure and video as well.

Thanks guys!

can't believe you passed on a ling for a sheepshead, yeah, I know doty. After that's settled let's go get some epic lings and reds!

Haha it was an easy decision! The video doesn't do it justice but that was a monster ling (probably a 40 incher). Not sure if I would have had a shot at him because he was swimming away at a fairly good pace. We'll have to go back and see if he's still there...

Matt Titchenal

Gannet Dive Team
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

Road Runner

• Salmon
  • View Profile NorCal Skin Divers Dive Club
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Great day! That copper is a beaut.

What was that fish at 0:45?
NorCal Skin Divers Dive Club http://www.norcalskindivers.com/events.html

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Sand
Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Wow, you cleaned up!

Was that N Coast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
Haha yeah I'll do the best I can, but I know there are some really good divers like BigJim who will definitely overtake me if I don't upgrade my lower scores

You have plenty of room to upgrade for sure!!

I will have a hard time catching you even if you don't do any upgrades though...you have some SUPER solid fish!!  :smt007

I will be actively trying for Ling/Cab upgrade but that won't be a ton of points...if get lucky may get a few points for a bigger grassy or olive...I suck at scallops and hate shooting greenling so doubt I will get any points there.  :smt005 :smt044

I spent a LOT of time trying for a big striper or butt (23 dive days lol) and the three butts I came up with didn't even make my top fifteen.  :smt013 :smt005 :smt044

This is our first year doing top 15 format instead of all species counting, and I for sure had my reservations...but a top 15 like yours (with quality sheep, red, copper, black, olive etc) is an excellent example IMO of a winning top 15.  :smt001

Anyway, congrats again on such an awesome day and I look forward to seeing what you come up with before 12/31 at midnight!!

:smt001

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats on the PB fish.  You got ball diving with "shark baits" swimming around you.  Thanks for the report, picture, and video.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

mtitch12

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Great day! That copper is a beaut.
What was that fish at 0:45?

Thanks! That was a 6-7 foot shark. Not sure what species...

Wow, you cleaned up!
Was that N Coast?
Thanks! It was in Monterey County.

Haha yeah I'll do the best I can, but I know there are some really good divers like BigJim who will definitely overtake me if I don't upgrade my lower scores
You have plenty of room to upgrade for sure!!
I will have a hard time catching you even if you don't do any upgrades though...you have some SUPER solid fish!!  :smt007
I will be actively trying for Ling/Cab upgrade but that won't be a ton of points...if get lucky may get a few points for a bigger grassy or olive...I suck at scallops and hate shooting greenling so doubt I will get any points there.  :smt005 :smt044
I spent a LOT of time trying for a big striper or butt (23 dive days lol) and the three butts I came up with didn't even make my top fifteen.  :smt013 :smt005 :smt044
This is our first year doing top 15 format instead of all species counting, and I for sure had my reservations...but a top 15 like yours (with quality sheep, red, copper, black, olive etc) is an excellent example IMO of a winning top 15.  :smt001

Anyway, congrats again on such an awesome day and I look forward to seeing what you come up with before 12/31 at midnight!
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what you get in the next month too. This day is definitely a perfect example that anything can happen out there. One of the reasons diving/fishing is so fun! My goal this year was to finish top 5, so I'm super stoked that I got lucky enough with some quality fish to have a chance to win.

Can't say I agree with the new "top 15 rule", because it effectively penalizes divers that put in the time to successfully hunt more species of fish, which is really the spirit of DOTY (at least it seems like that from my limited experience). But it is definitely working in my favor right now, so I'm not complaining  :smt005

Congrats on the PB fish.  You got ball diving with "shark baits" swimming around you.  Thanks for the report, picture, and video.
Thanks! Yeah that was definitely on my mind out there. The sea lions seemed to be very comfortable though so it kind of made me think that there probably wasn't a shark around. Who knows though!

Matt Titchenal

Gannet Dive Team
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what you get in the next month too. This day is definitely a perfect example that anything can happen out there. One of the reasons diving/fishing is so fun! My goal this year was to finish top 5, so I'm super stoked that I got lucky enough with some quality fish to have a chance to win.

Can't say I agree with the new "top 15 rule", because it effectively penalizes divers that put in the time to successfully hunt more species of fish, which is really the spirit of DOTY (at least it seems like that from my limited experience). But it is definitely working in my favor right now, so I'm not complaining  :smt005

We went back and forth on the top 15/10 format vs all species counting for a long time before I finally gave in.  :smt005

Top 15 was a good compromise IMO from the idea of top 10...top 15 still requires divers to push themselves but doesn't MAKE divers shoot a species they don't want to or can't...

Here is a snippet of my thoughts on the issue from a thread a few years ago:

I feel very strongly that all DOTY species should count towards total points. One of the COOLEST things about DOTY IMO is that it really challenges divers (in particular newer divers) to push themselves outside their comfort zone...and I think it would totally suck to have a diver get their first halibut, sheephead, verm, monkey, olive, grassy, scallop or whatever and not have it even make a difference in their score or show up on their list of fish...

Also, by only having a player's top ten species count you remove the incentive to travel and hunt species outside of your geographic comfort zone. For example a diver in mendo could focus on species that are relatively easy to find in their local reefs: Ling, Cab, Abalone, Scallop, Black, Verm, China, Grassy, Blue, Greenling. Could pretty easily get those 10 species in one weekend of diving and there would be zero incentive to look for a halibut or a sheephead or an olive or any other DOTY fish.

There are pros and cons to any rules to any comp...but I think top 15 is a LOT better than just top 10...

Maybe next year the rules will change again, who knows, but for this year you have been crushing it and I am stoked for you!

:smt001

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

Formerdiver

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Epic Day out there Matt......just because the sea lions are looking friendly doesn’t mean they aren’t around  :smt044

mtitch12

• Salmon
  • View Profile
There are pros and cons to any rules to any comp...but I think top 15 is a LOT better than just top 10...

Maybe next year the rules will change again, who knows, but for this year you have been crushing it and I am stoked for you!

Thanks I agree that 15 is a lot better than 10! Thanks for posting the backstory on the rule change. I was curious about that.

Epic Day out there Matt......just because the sea lions are looking friendly doesn’t mean they aren’t around  :smt044

Haha noted! That is a spooky pic...

Matt Titchenal

Gannet Dive Team
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

anything