Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: School me on WAF?  (Read 6075 times)

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Fishing is one of those things that you agree on before marriage, just like kids.  My wife had to agree to having a Boston Whaler in our future to get the ring.  ;) 

I'm generous with her too though, she's picking up a '66 Mustang tonight...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Frankfishing

Fishing is one of those things that you agree on before marriage, just like kids.  My wife had to agree to having a Boston Whaler in our future to get the ring.  ;) 

I'm generous with her too though, she's picking up a '66 Mustang tonight...
Now that's LOVE!

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I must be a lucky man. I just bring her with me :smt001
A great WAF point getter, take all the fish off her hook and rebait for her!
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Oh man, based on some of the advice above I should never get to fish.  But I do.

I did not even fish when I got married :smt011 .  But, I did buy my sailboat before half became the operative word with regard to finances.

My wife and daughter do not fish but they like to see me happy and I do my share around here to balance out the time.  We have good communication and I let them do what they want and we do share family time (just not fishing for them and maybe not so many plays and musicals for me)  :smt005 .  Compromise is the operable word.  I get to fish about once a week (probably since the ocean is so close to home that I am usually home by noon) but I do get to go on some longer trips and sometimes fish two times in one weekend (when they are out of town).

Marriage and having a kid is one of the best things in life just like fishing.  A good balance is important.  As long as you picked a good one you will be able to work things out to everyones advantage.  And do not forget Scott's advice about alternate activities for the wife and kid while you are fishing.  :smt044

Congratulations.   
Etienne

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Oh yea one more point. 

The time you spend online on this site will reduce your WAF budget just as much as if you spent the time fishing  :smt012 .
Etienne

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Also once you withdraw WAF it does not seem to go back in at the same rate. Carve out a day to go fishing, then don't for whatever reason, you loss at least 1/2 the WAF.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Also, in response to the question "How long will you be?" or its variant "When are you coming home?", you MUST always give an answer that will make her jaw drop.  "I'll be home before sunset" is not inappropriate.  That way when you come home at 2PM, its like you totally cut your water time short just for her!

If you violate the above rule by underestimating your ETA home, then its not a bad idea to pick up some flowers.  If its sunday, make sure you know of a florist that's still open. 

On a final note, whenever fishing HMB, none of us have any real excuse NOT to pick up some aesthetically pleasing vegetation along the 92 corridor.  Fellas, there are just WAY too many nurseries to be caught slippin'. 

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
If its sunday, make sure you know of a florist that's still open.

....there's always the local cemetery...just make sure you take the "sorry for your loss" card off the bouquet  :smt002

Frankfishing

If its sunday, make sure you know of a florist that's still open.

....there's always the local cemetery...just make sure you take the "sorry for your loss" card off the bouquet  :smt002

What did I tell you! Don't listen to Mooch! Take off the "sorry for your loss" card is classic Joel!

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The WAF economy also suffers about 2-3000% inflation, which means when you earn WAF you want to spend it withing a couple weeks or it's value will fall by half or more.  If you're stuck with a broken leg, at least buy some of the more expensive pieces of gear with whatever WAF you can earn on a gimp leg.

I already have too extensive a garden/collection, stopping by nurseries costs me WAF.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
This "WAF" topic never seems to get old  :smt003 It's always funny to read about everyone's own personal experiences with positives and negatives on the WAF....I really believe that it can be a best seller  :smt002

I wish I could dig-up the past WAF topics and put 'em into one and then sticky it. It's just too funny worth reading again and again  :smt005

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 06:42:41 PM by Mooch »

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Also, in response to the question "How long will you be?" or its variant "When are you coming home?", you MUST always give an answer that will make her jaw drop.  "I'll be home before sunset" is not inappropriate.  That way when you come home at 2PM, its like you totally cut your water time short just for her!

If you violate the above rule by underestimating your ETA home, then its not a bad idea to pick up some flowers.  If its sunday, make sure you know of a florist that's still open. 

:smt005 LOL! :smt005  But you can always seek the advice of Budweiser:

"Remember, it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission..."
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
This "WAF" topic never seems to get old  :smt003 It's always funny to read about everyone's own personal experiences with positives and negatives on the WAF....I really believe that it can be a best seller  :smt002

I wish I could dig-up the past WAF topics and put 'em into one and then sticky it. It's just too funny worth reading again and again  :smt005

Joel -

Like I said before, although books are old school, a NCKA book could be very entertaining. Adam could do the underwater photo art, there could be a chapter on WAF and you could write the "anti-WAF" chapter. We could revive Molbasser for a chapter on smack talk. It could take fishing books to the next level.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament