Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 2018 JAOTY Rules  (Read 2840 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Hi All,

The 2018 JAOTY competition will follow the same rules as last year:

•   Junior AOTY ("JAOTY") is limited to members under the age of 18 on January 1, 2018. Entrance is free. Prizes are TBD but will be awarded to at least the top three.  Fish entered for JAOTY are not subject to the AOTY rules except for the "Retention Rule".  This is to encourage participation by Junior anglers in fishing of all types, whether it be via shore, kayak or boat.

So the only rule that applies for JAOTY is the rule that the fish must be legal to be kept. We do not wish to encourage picture taking of fish that are not legal for retention as it could result in excessive handling.  Other items for JAOTY:

1. There is no specific rule that the Jr has to catch the fish from the kayak.  Obviously the preference is that they go on the kayaks with you, but take a kid fishing in any way you can!
2. The Waterway Rule does not apply, except that fish should be caught within our borders. 
3. Mouth open, posing, measurement, etc rules are not strictly enforced.  We would like you to please try to take high quality pictures of the fish so do your best but we're not strict on this for JAOTY.
4. Please take a kid fishing!

Thanks,
bmb

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Awesome stuff!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I'm sorry to see you haven't taken my suggestions into consideration.  If the reasoning is because it's too late for this year, then I would suggest you put them into play for next year.  If you don't remember my suggestions, I would be glad to put them into an email or PM for those parties interested.

Bret

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
I'm sorry to see you haven't taken my suggestions into consideration.  If the reasoning is because it's too late for this year, then I would suggest you put them into play for next year.  If you don't remember my suggestions, I would be glad to put them into an email or PM for those parties interested.

Bret
Yes, we did see the suggestions and considered them.  They were a bit too late for this year but will evaluate them for end of the year. 

NoSoupForU

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I kind of figured that would be your response.

scubaluis

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010

Bret
Yes, we did see the suggestions and considered them.  They were a bit too late for this year but will evaluate them for end of the year.

there is no entries yet, why not improve it while there is chance and not have any issues at the end of the year. 
you should have the kids on the pictures
but then again, that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

PS
any changes to the rules are to improve the quality of the competition.

Luis
"If you can not laugh at yourself, make fun of other people"

Stealth Fisha 500
Jackson Kraken
Ocean Kayak
Hobie Adventure
Wilderness System Tandem

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Having kids be in the pictures is not the issue being debated.  We definitely encourage kids being in the picture, but sometimes its tough to get a measurement with kids in the tankwell.  Like my pics for example for Olivia. 

We go based upon the honor system for that.  The prizes aren't big enough to entice anyone to "fake" a kid submission, and the blowback from the community would be steep.

Our goal with the competition is to get people to take kids fishing - no matter where and what, and in what capacity.  At this point, we don't see any reason for a rule change, but we did discuss it.  The "placing" of kids doesn't really matter to us - you can say that we're enforcing the participation prize stereotype or whatever, but that's the way the rules have always been and there's no impetus for us to change them at this point.  We still want people to bring kids fishing and to increase overall participation that way.

The committee has taken over the competition because the previous JAOTY judges haven't felt the love from the community for all the hard work that they do.  We're willing to take the heat, even without the payoff.  So yes, please do bring up any issues you have with the competition directly to us, or post them up at the end of the year.  We'd love to work on it when its the right time.

Thanks,
Ben

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
 Thanks for organizing this.  :smt006  I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into it, and I’m looking forward to getting my kids out on the water this year.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Emma loves the pole/reel set up she got last year. got to busy to finish out the year and be in the top three. her last year this year. she loves the competition for the same reason we like to do AOTY. Thanks for getting this together for them.
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I personally give a kid more credit if they catch their fish from a kayak. Because it's generally harder, and this is a kayak fishing club. This friendly JR competition is mainly for bragging rights anyways--so, if my kid catches a big fish from a kayak, I'm gonna brag about it, like a proud parent should.
I'll analyze the history of JR AOTY entries to see if we should institute a bonus next year (and the effect it would've had on previous years). Btw it's easy to adjust the length by adding an inch bonus...but I'm not sure if we even have the ability to award an extra 10 bonus points (or 20 bonus points, etc) for fish caught on a kayak.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

scubaluis

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
Sin Coast,
that would be awesome, 1 bonus inch if fished from kayak, how about another bonus inch if there is picture with of the kid holding the fish. isn't that what the parents want? a pic of their kids holding the fish anyways? unless the kid is at home....

"If you can not laugh at yourself, make fun of other people"

Stealth Fisha 500
Jackson Kraken
Ocean Kayak
Hobie Adventure
Wilderness System Tandem

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
True, although many people suggest it's a bad idea to post lots of pics of their kids on the internet. Because, you know...there's a lot of weirdos out there (hole intruders lol).
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Who you calling a weirdo??

:smt002

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

NoSoupForU

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I think he was referring to Andy.   :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

Rider

• Sea Lion
  • It's all about the experience
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
I’m glad the JAOTY is still happening and the focus is still on getting the kids out on the water and not the competition. Thank you to everyone keeping it going.

I love seeing the kid fishing pics.

Parents, embrace and cherish this time you have with your little ones as they will soon be on their own path and may be too busy or not want to fish.
#fuckyourfeelings #dontbeadick #whatadick

anything