Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pedal powered kayak  (Read 9331 times)

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I demo'd a "WAVEWALKER" kayak (www.wavewalker.us) today and I was very impressed! No affiliation with seller etc. Fast, stable, well made. These will sell for $2500. Looks like a fantastic fishing platform to me, but not for the light of wallet. Marc the seller is passionate about his product and pointed out the differences between his and the mirage drive. His has  prop that raises and lowers, retractable rudder, and the best part is the recumbent position you pedal from. VERY COMFORTABLE! I am sold and trying to talk the wife into a $5000 nut.

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
They are pretty heavy compared to the typical fish SOT, but pedal and handle like they are much lighter. It's just going to be a bitch getting them up top of the suburban.

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Steering is very responsive and it will turn completely around in a 12 ft circle. Can pedal backward for brakes which the hobiew cannot.

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I may buy the two demos on Monday. Cashing in many brownie points.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
How stable are they looks like you are sitting pretty high, where do you stow the rods?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Where can these be demo'd..ect...I don't have the " BlinG " to buy one, just whant to check one out
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:21:09 PM by danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Saw some on the water at WCSKS this weekend.  I didn't have a chance to demo one.  These things can get up and go ... and I mean FAST.  By far the fastest kayak (if you can call it that) that I've seen.

-Allen

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I looked at the website, no video or anything...kinda of goofy looking but ifthey work well I wanna see it!  There was a guy at Mendo a few years ago with a similar catamaran that also moved at a surprising pace.

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
How stable are they looks like you are sitting pretty high, where do you stow the rods?

Very stable in my opinion. Seller claims potato patch no problema. No fishing accomodations on these demo units, seller claims that fishing needs will be addressed on productioon models.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Looks like this would be a nice kayak for certian types of things. Good for lakes with no weeds or light ocean with no kelp. A big issue I can see is you have a prop which could get really fouled with plants in the water or even your own line when you hook a fish. And since you have no direct access to it while in the kayak it could lead to an iffy situation. This weekend I was at Forebay and there's tons of weeds. It was easy for me to pull the Mirage drive up and clear the weeds (I also do the same with kelp in the ocean.)  Props also, because of their speed when they rotate, can cause damage to it or other things. You'll definitely have to watch your surroundings alot. The center of gravity does look pretty high too... not to mention the price tag!! But for a fast cruising watercraft it does look fun!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 11:41:15 AM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Looks like this would be a nice kayak for certian types of things. Good for lakes with no weeds or light ocean with no kelp. A big issue I can see is you have a prop which could get really fouled with plants in the water or even your own line when you hook a fish. And since you have no direct access to it while in the kayak it could lead to an iffy situation. This weekend I was at Forebay and there's tons of weeds. It was easy for me to pull the Mirage drive up and clear the weeds (I also do the same with kelp in the ocean.)  Props also, because of their speed when they rotate, can cause damage to it or other things. You'll definitely have to watch your surroundings alot. The center of gravity does look pretty high too... not to mention the price tag!! But for a fast cruising watercraft it does look fun!

Drive assy does retract from on board fairly easy. Seller claims weeds come off with reverse turn of pedals. Looks to me like it will not fish in heavy kelp but will get your ass there much quicker. Retract drive and switch to paddle in the veggies. Looks high sided, but seemed very stable. I leaned quite a bit in both directions and she stays upright. IS HEAVY though, will be a bitch to get up on my suburban.

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Update,
The new boats are safe at my work and I am already looking at Mods. :smt007 We will splash them at Spicer Reservoir a week from tomorrow (Sept 29th), replete with manybrews, tequila, rods, camping gear and hit my favorite island for 3 days of camping. I will post up some trouty pix after we get back along with a full report on the boats.

b3d

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Be sure to post a review after your trip.  I am curious how the prop drive works out. 

Also, watch out for those afternoon winds at Spicer.  After years of bank fishing at spicer, on my first kayak outing last summer I realized why there are so many sailboats stored near the launch.

Brian 3d

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Be sure to post a review after your trip.  I am curious how the prop drive works out. 

Also, watch out for those afternoon winds at Spicer.  After years of bank fishing at spicer, on my first kayak outing last summer I realized why there are so many sailboats stored near the launch.

Brian 3d
Even the lady at the ranger station warned us when we told her we were paddling to the back of the lake. The wind comes up like clockwork from west to east at about 10:00 AM. Our plan is to break camp and be underway back to the ramp at 8:30 and we should be ok. If not we will hug the shoreline and see exactly what these boats can do. Besides, by that time the beer will be all gone and that's at least 50#'s lighter.

b3d

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Sounds like fun. 

If you are heading to the back of the lake in the afternoon, I would think about taking a large kite and doing an impression of a kiteboarder except from a kayak.  I have a large two line foil kite that I have wanted to try on windy days.  If I can improvise some sort of dagger board it would awesome to be able to tack into the wind on those long paddles back to the ramp.

Good luck, with 50 lbs of beer, you might be doing this  :pottytrain3: more than this :fish

:occasion14:
Brian

anything