Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:08:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tomales Bay Leopards and Rays From Shore  (Read 985 times)

925Yakker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Hey gang! I'm spending the day tomorrow with my eleven year old fishaholic nephew. He has never caught anything larger than a little planter trout, and i would love to see him hook into something that will rip line off the reel  :smt044. I grew up fishing sharks at the ARW, but that was a strictly night time affair (never had luck with big leopards during the day), and I wouldn't feel good about bringing him out there at night nowadays.
So I'm thinking a day trip to Tomales Bay for some old fashioned bank fishing, but I have no clue as to where to begin. If any of y'all know of a spot where we might have a decent chance at hooking into a ray or shark, it would be appreciated. Not asking for any honey holes (unless you're feeling extra super generous, than PM me  :smt003).
Thanks everyone!

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Between Nicks Cove and Marshall there is this little point and beach. Room to park on the side of the road and a little trail to the water. It usually produces.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

kokoloco

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I used to fish for sharks from Hearts Desire Beach or the beach just north of HDB on the other side of Tomales Bay with much success.  Good luck wherever you end up.  We used squid or anchovies.
Emperor of the World

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Another place I would try would be Bolinas Lagoon.  I know there are big leopards and rays there, I've seen a few in the shallows.

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I used to fish for sharks from Hearts Desire Beach or the beach just north of HDB on the other side of Tomales Bay with much success.  Good luck wherever you end up.  We used squid or anchovies.

Was going to say the same thing, nice and sheltered from the wind.
Another place I would try would be Bolinas Lagoon.  I know there are big leopards and rays there, I've seen a few in the shallows.

+1.... famous on YouTube!

Use a heavier set up and might want a harness.  :smt002
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:56:24 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Bolinas Lagoon is a great, kid-friendly spot. Lots of room to spread out and you can move easily along the shore. Look for spots along Highway 1 that have rip-rap along the bank. These spots usually have much better access to the channel and deeper water. There are some big leopards there and 48"+ fish are a real possibility. Just make sure to gear up appropriately. Have fun !
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

925Yakker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the good info! Y'all are the best.  :thumright:
Had a fun day with the boy, and even managed to get him hooked up to a bat ray of about 15 lbs, his largest fish by about 14 pounds.  :smt003 Judging by his excited chatter for the rest of the day, I think he's officially "hooked".
Thanks again gang!