Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: HMB Jaws Launch Friday 7/20. Good or bad?  (Read 1474 times)

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Friday 7/20, I'm thinking of launching at HMB via jaws and was wondering what I should expect.  NOAA is predicting a 3.8 ft swell at 5:45 A followed by a 1.5ft swell at 11:30A.  (My first time at HMB was idyllic: Swell was around 1ft if I remember correctly and it was pretty mellow.)  Windy.com is predicting winds in the 8-10mph range 6A - 12 A.  My first target fish is salmon and if the bite is off I'll try for rock fish and halibut. 

My question: at HMB what should I expect from a  4 ft swell and 8 mph wind.
 My target areas are around the green and red cans.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Depends on your skill level, the boat, your readiness. Are you meeting up with others? That would be a good way to go. Post a hookup notice and see what comes of it.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Depends on your skill level, the boat, your readiness. Are you meeting up with others? That would be a good way to go. Post a hookup notice and see what comes of it.

I'm a ocean beginner, I have a paddle kayak that's hella slow(or maybe its me  :smt002), and I'm ready.  I'll post a HookUp  - good advice, thanks!

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Brahhdah Mike, those winds sound kinda "sporty" as they say.  I think they may be coming from the SW as always lately, at least they'll blow you back...what is the time interval 3-4ft @ ? :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
The wind forecast is from the SW, which actually helps coming back into the harbor.  Also, the tides are rather high this weekend, so Kings rock and the other rocks along the reef directly to the right of the jaws could be submerged throughout the day.  A 3-4 ft NW swell will make that area sketchy for breakers, so you're better off going straight out to the green can and trolling around there, then coming straight back from the green can being careful to not cross the reef.  Looks like good conditions to me, but not sure about the salmon bite.

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Brahhdah Mike, those winds sound kinda "sporty" as they say.  I think they may be coming from the SW as always lately, at least they'll blow you back...what is the time interval 3-4ft @ ? :smt006

Hey Eddie,

This is what I saw on Swellinfo.com.    Sorry its a little hard to read.  Why does the time interval matter?  https://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/half-moon-bay-california

6 am S 7 mph
WNW 3.7 ft @ 9 sec
 SW 1.3 ft @ 16 sec
 59° Partly Cloudy

9 am
 SSW 4 mph
WNW 3.6 ft @ 9 sec
 SW 1.3 ft @ 16 sec
 63° Partly Cloudy

12 pm
 SSW 5 mph
WNW 3.5 ft @ 9 sec
 SW 1.3 ft @ 16 sec

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The wind forecast is from the SW, which actually helps coming back into the harbor.  Also, the tides are rather high this weekend, so Kings rock and the other rocks along the reef directly to the right of the jaws could be submerged throughout the day.  A 3-4 ft NW swell will make that area sketchy for breakers, so you're better off going straight out to the green can and trolling around there, then coming straight back from the green can being careful to not cross the reef.  Looks like good conditions to me, but not sure about the salmon bite.

Thanks for the warning Nolanduke.  A few weeks back during my first trip out I was advised to not hangout near that right-hand side of the jetty. Are there ever good conditions to fish that reef? - Seems like it could be a quick and productive rock fishing excursion.   

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
The timing makes all the difference. 4ft every 4 seconds would be miserable. 4ft every 30 seconds would be so spread out it would seem flat.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The timing makes all the difference. 4ft every 4 seconds would be miserable. 4ft every 30 seconds would be so spread out it would seem flat.
Rule of thumb is the seconds should be twice that of the swell.  4ft @ 8 seconds or longer is my max, and I'm sure I've experienced 3-5ft at 7-9 seconds, that is chum time for me but I'm getting better at being on a tumultuous sea but would avoid it if I could.  The wind also makes everything wacky. Nothing over 5-7kts for me if I can help it.  Longer seconds will smash me on the improper beach landing because longer time between swell builds bigger waves once to shore.  2-3ft a 12 seconds is nice on the water but can build quite a wave for a beach landing. :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Thanks for the warning Nolanduke.  A few weeks back during my first trip out I was advised to not hangout near that right-hand side of the jetty. Are there ever good conditions to fish that reef? - Seems like it could be a quick and productive rock fishing excursion.

It's a pretty shallow reef and given how it has breaks sometimes, I generally avoid fishing there.  Once you get to the other side of the first reef, it gets deeper and the rock fishing is decent.  Look at navionics or even Google Earth and you can get a good idea of the structure around there. 

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Hey Eddie,

This is what I saw on Swellinfo.com.    Sorry its a little hard to read.  Why does the time interval matter?  https://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/half-moon-bay-california

6 am S 7 mph
WNW 3.7 ft @ 9 sec
 SW 1.3 ft @ 16 sec
 59° Partly Cloudy

9 am
 SSW 4 mph
WNW 3.6 ft @ 9 sec
 SW 1.3 ft @ 16 sec
 63° Partly Cloudy

12 pm
 SSW 5 mph
WNW 3.5 ft @ 9 sec
 SW 1.3 ft @ 16 sec
Swell looks good, wind looks good...be ready for fog just in case...compass...

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I've learned a lot from this post.  Thank for watching out for myself and other newbies.

Fog? I'm hoping it will be way above water level.  If its at water level I'll stay on shore.

I'm got a bad itch...HMB may have the cure.   :smt003

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
7/21 looks flat and no wind. If you could wait a day, go Saturday instead if you're concern about the swell condition.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
In general my worst fishing at HMB has been on winds out of the south. So I try to avoid it if possible when I know the condition is like that.  Be safe first and foremost, dress to go in(not that you may want to), stay within a reasonable distance of your partner if you do go over. One , if not both of you should have a radio and know how to use it.  Bring water, 2-3 bottles easily, and snacks you can open without touching them, as your hands will be funky as hell most likely.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
be safe out there. HMB jaws and right outside boater seem to punch it and go. A ton of big wakes!! from both side!! It definitely can put you in an awkward position so hopefully you can handle the waves!! You could wait to launch later as well so all the morning traffic is gone. First light or 6 - 7 am, its like a bass tournament!! all the boats gun it to their destination as fast as they can.

anything