Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:33:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:26:01 PM]

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lake Berryesa tips  (Read 1682 times)

KillBait

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
My family and I are camping at Lake Berryesa on the Steele canyon campsite, in the end of July. I've never been to Berryesa and would like some pointers for fishing. What's best this time a year to fish for? What type of rigs or tackle is used? I don't have much gear to fish fresh water so I will be purchasing some new toys  :smt007
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:22:08 AM by KillBait »

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
are you going to use live bait or artificial? What are you wanting to fish for...Bass, eagle lake trout or panfish?
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Do you have a downrigger or any way to troll deep?
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

KillBait

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I will be using mostly artificial. I've heard that minnows work really well for panfish, but I don't know of any place that sells minnows. I will be buying a little of everything so I can catch different species. I have a few days to fish and want to fish a different species every day.

I just bought some banana weights, deep six and dipsy diver. No downrigger......yet  :smt003
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:23:11 AM by KillBait »

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You can troll for trout and kokanee if you can get deep enough. You can try a kastmaster on the surface for trout. Guns and fishing in Vacaville and I think Sweeney's in Napa sell minnows.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

KillBait

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
You can troll for trout and kokanee if you can get deep enough. You can try a kastmaster on the surface for trout. Guns and fishing in Vacaville and I think Sweeney's in Napa sell minnows.
I just checked sweeneys website and they do sell.minmows. It is also close by so I will definitely swing by before I get to the lake. Thanks!
What's good for trolling Kokanee? Apex watermelon? Crimped anchovies?

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I fish large minnows in the coves to catch lots of bass and pan fish. then I'll paddle with one around in the deep water keeping a minnow around 10'-15' deep for the trout. I dont have a downrigger so I havent picked up very many kooks. good luck out there!
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:24:32 PM by traildad »

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I just checked sweeneys website and they do sell.minmows. It is also close by so I will definitely swing by before I get to the lake. Thanks!
What's good for trolling Kokanee? Apex watermelon? Crimped anchovies?
Usually Kokes are 35-55ft (or deeper) this time of year there, but it depends on how warm the water is.
I used to do okay using Sling blade w/ Kokanee hoochies, but I haven't caught any there last a few years...
If you can find them, let us know!
Good luck!

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I thought the drought killed the koke and king salmon fishery there. For bass, I would go find shallow flats or coves. They will hit anything on surface now.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I thought the drought killed the koke and king salmon fishery there. For bass, I would go find shallow flats or coves. They will hit anything on surface now.
Bryan was there a week or two ago and said he caught some Kokanee. I didn’t see them and first he said he caught mackinaw. They might be there still.

KillBait

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Kokanee killer with shoepeg corn. Works for trout and kokanee if you can get it to the right depth.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Pro-Troll-Kokanee-Killer?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ZbaBRBUEiwA4VQCITm7Hc3vRbTAa1x6oi2fO3jzN34AZH1QIy4j28cXO0y1QTkbaON41RoC-NMQAvD_BwE
What are three good colors for this?

Also, what rig is good for live minnow and what size hook?

I appreciate all the feedback guys!

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Kokanee killer with shoepeg corn. Works for trout and kokanee if you can get it to the right depth.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Pro-Troll-Kokanee-Killer?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ZbaBRBUEiwA4VQCITm7Hc3vRbTAa1x6oi2fO3jzN34AZH1QIy4j28cXO0y1QTkbaON41RoC-NMQAvD_BwE
What are three good colors for this?

Also, what rig is good for live minnow and what size hook?

I appreciate all the feedback guys!
I’ve only used the pink one. I’m not a trout expert by any means. I’d say put the minnow on a hook and add enough weight to get it down. Power bait works also. There are thousands of trout lures to choose from. Berryessa is a great Bass lake. I know even less about Bass fishing. I bet the guys at Sweeney’s will have some good advice.

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
For live bait I use Carolina rig with small mosquito or octopus hook

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
The kokanee and king salmon fishery at Berryessa is practically non existent since the drought. I've heard of one of two being caught but without photo evidence, I'm assuming it was a smaller eagle lake rainbow, as the are very chrome and streamlined like a salmon.

Anyways, I fish Berryessa a few times a month and can give some pointers. Steele Canyon has tons of fishable areas nearby. After leaving the launch if you go south into the creek work the points and steep banks with a drop shot (I like the 4.5 inch roboworm in the Aaron's magic color) for bass. Ned rig in natural colors does well also.  Also up Capell Cove there are tons of flooded trees that I throw senkos into with success, just be prepared to horse them out so you don't get broke off in the trees.

For trout you can troll the coves but even better than that is Skier's Cove which is right at the entrance to the Narrows and the coves on the southeast side of the lake.  It's a long ways away but the Narrows and those coves are a prime locale as well.  I'd try and get down at least 30 ft and troll speedy shiners, cripplures, and j7 rapalas in silver or chrome to imitate shad. I'd keep going deeper up to 60ft until I start hooking up. I change speeds a lot but try to stay in them 1.5-3 mph range. I usually vary my speeds between 1.5 and 2.25. Suddenly slowing down or speeding up can be what triggers a bite from a trout following your lure. Making wide S turns makes the lures rise and fall depending on which direction you turn and can trigger strikes also.

My favorite place to fish the lake is the big island which is slightly north of the middle of the lake. Troll anywhere on the eastern side in water that is 50ft to 150ft and deeper. The southern end of the big island is loaded with smallies in the rocks and there is a tiny "cove" with some flooded trees that I've pulled 4 lb largies out of. A quicker way to get to the big island is to launch from Oak Shores which is free and will take a 15 minute at most drive from Steele Canyon. (They are pretty bad with getting the gate open by 7 am but it shouldn't be later than 7:30 at most)

Good luck and if you have other questions feel free to send me a PM.