Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "donations" made to the sea......  (Read 20522 times)

bajareefer

• Salmon
  • big sur ling 07/29/09
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I was at Limekiln last week and it looked so nice and flat.
Then...came the launch. My first ever in this place.
I know that old timers here may already be smiling for you guys know all too well what must have happened. :smt013
   For new folks....let me say that this place has a steep, sudden fall-away of the beach as medium waves chomp into the drop off creating a suddenly serious condition!
       I set up and got ready to dig in and fly as the water swept past me...and then my paddle hit the sand and broke....
Oh well, still one to go and I dug into the depleting backwash and snap...the other paddle broke!
There I stood...
"stick in hand....
Up from Mill Creek without a paddle."
Steve

Cortez Marine....
Marinelife consultant

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Steve....better your paddle than any other part of your body  :smt002

bajareefer

• Salmon
  • big sur ling 07/29/09
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Mooch
 To be sure...
Those paddles were 17 year old asbestos ...I guess they were brittle like old PVC.
Of all the things I prepared for and double checked...it was the one thing I totally missed and took for granted...the paddle.
I just picked up new...modrn one at Aquatran.
Steve
Cortez Marine....
Marinelife consultant

Kayote

• Sea Lion
  • Monkey Faced Sarcastic Fringehead
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
In the last 12 months:

2 - Standard Horizon VHFs at La Jolla ($100 each). One lost to a fast handed tweeker on the beach, and one went plunk in 120 feet when I took off my vest to pee.

2 - Kershaw folding knives at $50 each. Dropped overboard.

My lucky gaff (Pesca Diablo) at Limekiln landing in August ($15). Which has since been replaced with Pesca Diablo II from Erik. Thanks Erik, by the way.

A Reefmaster underwater digital camera ($400 Plus). Destroyed by poor timing.

All in all, a pretty average year.
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go...........

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
2 - Kershaw folding knives at $50 each. Dropped overboard.

Kayote,

If you want to replace your dive knife, take a look at this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/SQTKET.html

I lost my original one that cost me $80.00   :BangHead:....I found this for less. IMO: a great price for a great rust-proof knife that will last you a life time....if you don't loose it  :smt002
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:10:52 PM by Mooch »

Kayote

• Sea Lion
  • Monkey Faced Sarcastic Fringehead
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Thanks for the link Joel.

At Elk you said all I do is take and take and take........... I'll take the knife too.  :smt044
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go...........

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Thanks for the link Joel.

At Elk you said all I do is take and take and take........... I'll take the knife too.  :smt044

....as long as you were not "dipping your finger" in the lumpia sauce, your allowed to take all you want  :smt002 :smt003

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Thanks Mooch for that Link to that Knife... Just what I was looking for.....

So Far, all I've lost is one Blinking Light on the port side of my Yak... :smt003

I'm way over due for a Major contribution.... :smt010 .......  Danglin
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

riobuster

Me and my son on my SOT yak, got to our dive site at point arena, son got in the water. I put on my weight belt and was reaching back for my fins and over goes the kayak :smt013 Luckily I didn't lose my fins and I was able to put them on with my sons help. I was tangled up in my anchor rope and couldn't figure out why I could not get untangled. My son (who had his mask on) found out that my spear shaft had stuck in my bootie and he had to fight to get it out of the neoprene. I lost my new mask, knife, and dive flag. I borrowed his mask and was able to find my mask and dive flag, so I only lost my knife. All in all I felt pretty lucky and I was very glad to have my son with me to help out.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
9/9 Davenport
rolled it in 1' surf. Bad timing. :smt011
donated to Davy Jones or some lucky beachcomber:
1-small box with 2 halibut bounce rigs
1-pair longs polarized sunglass w croakie
1-fish thocking stick #2

I got off cheap :smt003

pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Well, I knew that at some point I was going to lose something, but a G Loomis HSR 1025, net, and Abu reel was a little more expensive than I had hoped for.  :smt010

Being new, I'm trying to slowly build up to open ocean skills. I've been paddling in a lot of freshwater and I've started paddling the calmer days in the Carquinez Straight between Benicia and Vallejo. BTW, the striper bite has been great here lately.

This past Sunday I launched out of 9th Street and was drifting live bullheads. If you've been in the straight before, you know that some rather large car carrier ships come through occasionally and can create a decent wave to deal with. I had noticed a large ship moving through the channel, but it wasn't one of the biggest ones. I still kept my eye on it though. About mid-way through one of my drifts I noticed I was drifting into water that was deeper than where I had been marking fish, so I leaned forward and a bit to starboard to pick up my rod. Unfortunately it was at this moment that the wake from the passing ship caught up to me. You see, I was trying to think about all the little things that aren't second nature to me yet, like what to do with my paddle when dealing with my rod, and how best to position myself to retrieve my bait, etc. and while I was thinking about those things, I forgot to keep track of the wake from the passing ship. As the wave approached from behind me and a little to my left, I was leaning forward and a little to the right.

I felt the wave lift me up and I immediately leaned back and to the left to counter the roll, but I was already past the point of no return. The kayak sat on its side with me on top for just a second before rolling completely. I had two rods on board: the one I was fishing with and another rod set up to troll an in-line spinner for salmon, which was stored in the rod holder behind my seat. The salmon rod slid out of its holder and the spinner hook caught my waders. I managed to grab the rod and hold onto it as I flipped my yak back over. I put that rod back in its holder and climbed back aboard for an assessment. I looked around and saw my tackle pouch floating and my orange fish gripper floating, so I paddled over and picked them up.  The rod I had been fishing with had 8 oz of lead attached and I had drifted into water about 10 feet deeper than the line I had out before I flipped. The rod was nowhere to be seen, and neither was my net.  :smt009

I was and still am mad at myself over this. First of all, my dumb a$$ had two rod leashes on the boat with me. But, I wasn't using them.  :smt013

Second, I allowed myself to lose situational awareness. I was so focused on fishing, I forgot to remember that I am sitting in a kayak in the Carquinez Straight.  :smt011

Lessons learned:
1) Over the past several months time spent practicing dumping my boat, flipping it over, and climbing back in was time well spent. I got back in my boat with no problem.
2) I wear a life vest, non-cotton under layers, and waders or a wet suit "just in case" I end up in the water. I should have the same attitude about my gear. Flotation for my net and rod leashes attached would have made my little swim nothing more than a learning experience about paying better attention to my surroundings. Instead I got a situational awareness reminder and I lost about $300 worth of fishing gear.
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
but a G Loomis HSR 1025

I feel your pain brother  :smt011 I lost my G loomis trout slaying rod 2 years ago cause I was simply too confident and felt that I didn't need to leash my rods anymore  :smt009

Your post is a great reminder not only to the newbies but to the veterans as well  :smt023

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
but a G Loomis HSR 1025
I feel your pain brother  :smt011 I lost my G loomis trout slaying rod 2 years ago cause I was simply too confident and felt that I didn't need to leash my rods anymore  :smt009

Your post is a great reminder not only to the newbies but to the veterans as well  :smt023

I feel that. I finally broke down and bought an expensive rod and I'm totally paranoid that I'll drop it overboard doing something. The regular leashes are a bit of a PITA so I think I'm going to try something new.

I'm thinking of getting some kinda cord like this and attaching it to my PFD and the other end to the hook keeper on the rod. It's not super heavy duty but everything that is, is super cumbersome. This way there's something stopping it from falling overboard and it's out of the way.

Z
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 11:03:09 AM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I agree there has got to be a better way to leash your rods. Definitely post how that coiled leash idea works out. Currently, I use leashes made out of parachute cord and a brass clip. This works, but it still gets in the way and gets tangled occasionally. I'll have to keep experimenting, but I figure that if I can develop something that isn't too annoying then I am less likely to ever decide that i can get by without using a rod leash.  :smt002
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Heading in towards a promising rock formation JNO Gualala I see my partner catch a wave on his SOT - he is jammin' and hootin' - I start laughin' and not paying attention to the overhead set coming like a locomotive behind me. I get sideways and plowed, I'm still laughing until I realize as I go over gulping salt water that my weight belt, mask, snorkel and fins are loose in the footwells.

I am about chest to neck deep water, I let the 'yak go in on its own, grab the fins before they disappear, my mask/snorkel is partially stuffed in one of the fins so all I am out is the weightbelt. Cheap SOG that I am - I flounder in the surf after dropping off the rest on shore and manage to find the belt before the next set comes in.

Proceeded to get Maytag'd - and got no Abs that day, but did pop a very good lesson. I try not to laugh too hard while floundering anymore!

John
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

anything