Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fish id anyone?  (Read 3669 times)

DeltaDreggs

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
I was drifting the Mokelumne river around Clements for Steelhead/trout and having no success. Switched over to plastics and started getting into smallmouths pretty good, at one point three casts three fish. Finished the day landing six smallies and this unknown fish (at least to me). It slammed a senko, jumped out of the water and went on a couple runs. 25 inches long and I'm guessing around 10lbs. Good tussle on a 6lb. test spinner.

Mark

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
SQAWFISH. Did you kill it?  They can be good smoked.

-Brian G

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
C&R crush and relese
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Is that what Sean really looks like?

InSeine

• "Whiskeys' for Drinkin', Waters' for Fightin'"
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
this fish is formerly known as the pikeminnow.  They were the top resident predator in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River system.  However thay are rarely seen these days in the delta.  The occur more frequently in the rivers.  They are common in the Russian River as well, a nuesence actually.
OG

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Last fall I caught at least a dozen of those bass-turds while fishing for striper on the delta around Sherman Island on the river side. For a fish with a small mouth they will inhale the bait and make it hard to get it back out without hurting the fish.

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Being a native fish to the drainage basin, it is hard to think that we are helping by killing and releasing the fish. However, they are massive predators of salmon and steelhead fingerlings. I used to catch them trolling shad and live minnows at New Melones on a routine basis. In the lakes, I never had a problem killing them to save the salmoinds.

-Brian G

bluefin17

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Pikeminnow are native to the Sacramento and the Russian.  If salmonid populations were normal, pikeminnow wouldn't be "hurting" salmonid populations.  Believe me, fisherman killing a pikeminnow here and there isn't going to get rid of them anyway.  Getting rid of one native species to help another just doesn't seem right.  Just like killing suckers on the Russian when steelhead fishing.  Has anyone ever thought about salmonids using juvenile suckers as a prey source.  In the summer and fall you can see clouds of baby suckers in the mainstem and tributaries.  For that matter, how about juvenile pikeminnow which also spawn with large amounts of offspring.

zilla

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I caught some in butt valley reservoir,they are very good smoked :cowboy_smoke:

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Don't waste my namesake!  Seriously though I 100% agree with Bluefin.  Native fish are cool...and part of the cycle with salmonids.  When we trap smolts in the spring threy cough up thousands of juvenile suckers and cyprinids...they benefit each other. 

If you want to eat one, well thats another story...they aren't bad.

H2Ospider

I believe that these are "sqawfish" too, but im not positive. The photos dont do the size of the school justice. These shots were taken at upper Twin Lakes. They scattered some but didnt seem all that bothered when I was in the water.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Wow, how big were they?
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Those don't look like squawfish, but definitely a cyprinid of some sort...they actually look VERY interesting.

craigh

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I've seen those one stringers, and thought they were garbage fish. I've caught them below Mc Swain too.

Next one, I'll try and smoke. It was a great fighting fish.

Craigh

H2Ospider

Those fish were 8" to 9".  There was some debate between those on the water as to what they were.  Squa was my guess. 
Thanks for  "cyprinid"  Sean,  Ill plan on using that this year if we see this again.