Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTD  (Read 4685 times)

Pacifico

• Oye! Que Vida!
  • Sea Lion
  • 12 seconds! That's all I need!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Congrats Dustin.

Frank too bad you didn't win, you could have pumped close to half a tank into the ride  :smt003
Rub-cifico

sudmucker

• Sand Dab
  • Get right or get left !
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Out with Adam at the lil red barn and managed a fish
Yellow P-15  Saltwater

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Big Congrats to Dustin.   He may have "mooched" off my fishfinder, but he definitely outfished me and everyone else.  The positive thing for me is that I know what his secret lure was.  (And I will take money to keep a secret... or to tell a secret).  :smt002

It was a hot bite in the morning.  I definitely had the lings dialed, but couldn't manage a big one.  I lost track of exactly how many lings I caught... roughly 10 of them.  None were bigger than about 26 or 27 inches though so they all went back knowing what Dustin already had in his bag.  Caught countless other rockfish too... several chinas, tons of gophers, a couple blues, a few coppers, and a few vermillions.  I wound up keeping a nice fat copper (20 inches and 6.5 pounds) and a medium size vermillion that didn't want to go back down. 

All in all, it was a great day on the water and a big relief to finally get into some fish again.  Whew! I needed that!

Thanks Jim and the BB crew for hosting a fine event.  Nice meeting some new faces and seeing the usual characters around again.  Jim, you have the perfect setup for an official tournament next season.  What a fantastic location you are in!  Hopefully we can make that happen next year.

EK
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Pacifico

• Oye! Que Vida!
  • Sea Lion
  • 12 seconds! That's all I need!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Awesome pic of yoru son with the fish.  :smt001
Rub-cifico

ablover

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
Thank you Jim and Jess for your wonderful hospitality!! What a great place you have. This being my first NCKA gathering my wife and I went to Jim's Friday afternoon to meet some of the gang and to get the skinny on what the plan was for Saturday. I ended up at Ft. Ross and had a great time on the water. I boated several gophers, many blues, a decent vermilion and one ling that went about 28". The ling is the featured dish in the Morgan household tonight, everything else lived to be caught another day. The folks I met, confirmed my suspicion that the members of the NCKA crew are a class act that know how to fish, cook, and have a good time :beer3

Bill

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I wanna say thank you very much for you all coming!  We really enjoyed your company & very nice to meet new people!!! :smt055  We had an awesome turned out, great fun, all delicious foods, & of course some :beer3!    I also wanna show huge hats off to Jim for putting this off!!! :hello2:

This was my fishing that day...
After sent everybody out that morning, I decided to launch from in front of the house.  The fog was pretty deep, but the ocean was flat.  I heard the report expecting some beach bite on salmon, and also, I’ve been trying to catch them every morning & evening last week but no luck at all…  I was too obsessed about the salmon, so I decided to paddle out myself in the fog.
I paddled about 30 mins found some baits in the 80ft of water, so I grab some of them w/ Sabiki & drop the ball down.  I kept trolling more to west.  I reached 100ft of water & bait started disappearing.  I couldn’t see the land anymore, but I had a radio & compass (came w/ my whistle), so I kept going to North.  The bottom was flat & depth just kept going 100 after 100 & 120 after 120, but no signs of bait.  I paddled out over 3 miles out & I finally reached 180ft line but no signs of bait still.  I heard some PBs motor going through behind of me but I couldn’t see anything in the fog.  I got scared little & decided to troll back.  When I reached to 100 ft of water, I started see some birds & signs of bait, so I trolled more to North.  The whale showed up & I tried to take picture, but each time I turned around & position to him/her.  He/she appeared behind me.  He/she was just going circle of me & getting closer & closer, so I started to paddle more North.  He/she still kept fallowing me thought…  After a long troll, the wind started to pick up then I finally gave up.
As I was going back I decided to drop off a live mackerel for the halibut.  About 15 mins later, I got a big pull down!  It felt flat & pretty heavy… halibut!?!?  I pulled up & I see something big & flat thing coming up, it’s gotta be halibut!!!  However, it was just big-O freakin skate…  That thing bit off my whole mackerel live & only left the head.  Before I tried to take picture while in the water, it got away.  Next I put a big jack smelt.  While I was drafting I felt some pulls, but I just figured it was the smelt cuz it was pretty big, so I just ignored & kept drafting.  When I started seeing the land, the wind was picking up pretty bad, so I decided to call for the day.  I reeled in the jack smelt & I realized that had bunch of chunks bit off from it…  I guess it was the hits…
By the time, I got close to the shore I realized that I was drifting 4 mile to the South (mouth of Salmon Creek)…  I paddled back against the wind & barely made back to the beach.  A lot of people were at the beach & I saw Adam was lying down & enjoying the beach as well w/ his wife.  I was so exhausted.  Don came to help me out (thanks Don!).  Most of yakers were already at the home.  It was almost cutting of time.  I didn’t know I was out the long…

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
After BBQ & mingle, we had some time before burn fire, so Katie from our Lab showed more arty form of Gyotaku!
The bottom pic is Frank telling us about crazy story of his old house...

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
Here is pics of the epic beach inseine style burn fire!  The fire wood (we're burning old red woods!) was brought by Bill (ablover), thanks Bill...

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
oh, by the way, congrats Dustin!  :thumleft:
I'm glad that actual Somoman won this derby!!!

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Congrats to Dustin for winning another derby!

I'm bummed I missed out on guaranteed good time.  I had to work Saturday morning.  Mooch and I were planning to drive up to crash the Saturday night party, but he overslept and never made it over to my place.  :smt015

Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
We had friends over from out of town in the afternoon, otherwize we would have hit it, it looked like a blast. I managed to hit bean hollow in the am for a nice stringer and lots of company but sounds like it was an epic weekend up there.Congrats Dustin, sounds like you got the lings dialed in man! Ill be keeping an eye on you at elk. Ben
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:11:48 PM by guitarzan »
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

jdyak

• Salmon
  • Joel fishing Linda Mar Creek 06
  • View Profile
WTG Dustin,  Glad everyone had a good time.  Look forward to seeing the crew at Elk. 

John
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.  - Herculites -
2006 NCKA BAM 1st place Catfish Winner

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Thanks everybody!

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Frankfishing

Out with Adam at the lil red barn and managed a fish

Dude where did you go?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I believe FisHunter and Sudmucker launched straight out from Jim's house and fished the nearby rocks.
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

anything