Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Home Surveillance  (Read 861 times)

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Anybody with DIY Home Surveillance experience. Need some advice on how to buy and set one up!

I live in a 4 plex appartmet and Having some trouble with a neighbor who refues to close the yard gate, that is a direct route to my stairs to my front door. I'm feeling like i need to put up a Surveillance Camer. And if I do should i make it known that the area is being monitored. I want some evedence just in case my property starts disappearing. And Report the disrespectfull tenant thats leaving the gate wide open...

Thanks,
Alex/Alien

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Cant help with the set up but can answer the question about the need to notify anyone that they are being monitored. No, You do not need to let anyone know that you have installed cameras in a place that can view any common exterior area.  They have no expectation of privacy there, so there is no obligation on your part to warn them.  Now SHOULD you make it known? Depends, do you want it to be evidence in case something goes missing or do you want it to be a deterrent?  If you want a deterrent, then put it out. If not, keep it to yourself. 

Jplutino

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
If it's close to your WiFi use wifi system.  If you want discreet they sell on Amazon cameras that look like porch lights.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

alien

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Cant help with the set up but can answer the question about the need to notify anyone that they are being monitored. No, You do not need to let anyone know that you have installed cameras in a place that can view any common exterior area.  They have no expectation of privacy there, so there is no obligation on your part to warn them.  Now SHOULD you make it known? Depends, do you want it to be evidence in case something goes missing or do you want it to be a deterrent?  If you want a deterrent, then put it out. If not, keep it to yourself.
I like that respons.Thank you Grim Reefer.

~Alien

alien

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If it's close to your WiFi use wifi system.  If you want discreet they sell on Amazon cameras that look like porch lights.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check out the WiFi system any recommondation on a kit?

~Alien

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Would the apartment complex owner allow you to install one of those Ring camera door bells?

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I currently have amcrest system installed at my place. It is hardwired to 6 different spot around the house. Running the wire wasn't too bad and the feed is quick since it all goes to a central server box that store up to 3 weeks of HD footage. I have a high speed internet connection so linking it to my phone is quick.

Their iphone app is very stable as well as their web interface. I also have two wifi amcrest camara that has the ability to pan and two way communication. Not sure why I put so many cameras lol

I just recently installed Ring doorbell which works out great as well. I like that it link up to my amazon device so I can say "Alexa who is at the front door" and it shows the live feed to my amazon show.

Anyways if you have a reliable wifi then I would go with that since its simple to setup. Just need a power source.

Ring does make a camera floodlight or even a porchlight with a camera built in.

So many options these days. Go with whatever your budget allow.

Jplutino

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
I would suggest checking reviews.  I've installed a couple for friends.  If you need help installing or extending cables pm me.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check out the WiFi system any recommondation on a kit?

~Alien

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Just installed this last week.
 I like it.
ONWOTE on Amazon.
$759 for 8 PoE cameras, cables and the NVR.
Still moving in so please excuse the mess.
<=>

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I installed an 8 camera QSee system with the ability to monitor the cameras via an app on the iPhone. HOWEVER, QSee's latest app update killed the remote viewing ability.  :smt010 :smt011

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Would the apartment complex owner allow you to install one of those Ring camera door bells?

For those of you that are thinking about getting a ring doorbell. They are great but thieves are now targeting them (at least in the Fresno area).  covering their faces and walking right up and ripping them off the wall. If you get one, figure out a better way to mount it.

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
We have the Tend Insights Lynx that we got off of Amazon. It has night vision, facial recognition, the phone app with real time alerts and cloud storage. It works off your home WiFi and plugs into any standard 120V electrical outlet without any special wiring. Mount it in the window...plug it in and you're ready to go! Want to move it, just unplug it and move it to another window.

https://www.amazon.com/Tend-Insights-TS0020-Indoor-Security/dp/B075YRJ269
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:02:59 PM by Abdiver »
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006
  I'm looking for a relatively  inexpensive exterior use pan and tilt camera system to use up north.  Currently I have 2 "Mole" pan and tilt cameras up but need to monitor outside my mole cameras are internal  use only.  So I'll be watching this post

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

anything