Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ocean Cove report 8/27  (Read 2150 times)

Willha

• Salmon
  • "Spearing is the path to enlightenment." --- Lao T
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Made it out yesterday, Thanks to my buddy taylormade we were an hour late.  However we stayed out until the wind picked up and the swell became atrocious.  Idk if my VHF is messed up or not but I was hearing a lot of chatter on 69 but never got any firendly NCKA responses.  However before the wind and swell picked up it was a beautiful day with a light wind until about 12 and came in with a few short of a limit of rockfish including 2 nice size Cabbies and a decent Ling.  (first Ling of the year on a kayak) Wanted to do a dive but was too drained from the paddle back to shore (literally almost from timber cove) against the wind in at least 4 foot choppy as hell Swells.  other than my shoulders sore as can be it was a great day and I feel as if I'm ready for Simply Fishing.  Can't wait to go back and see you guys there.
----Willha

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Nice...that paddle sounded nightmarish......
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nice...that paddle sounded nightmarish......

Do you see that waterquest kayak in the pic behind me.  I literally thought my buddy was gonna sink in that thing.  I'll never let anybody in that thing after this weekend.  I was scared for the both of us.  However luckily we are both still pretty young and able to paddle a lot harder and longer than most and were able to make it out safely.
----Willha

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice fish bro!
I try to fish the opposite direction that the wind is forecast to blow.
That way you get blown back to the launch. That may have helped you there. But sometimes the wx is too beautiful to head south. See you out there sometime.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Small sit-insides are a bad idea on the ocean.

There's a reason they are called SINKs.

Be safe out there!

HAHA never heard them call it that.  I figured though.  it only ever gets used in small lakes and rivers but the conditions were perfect and my buddy has some decent experience on the water with his own kayak but his truck is in the shop and opted not to bring it.  DOESN'T MAKE IT SMART LOL it was obviously a bad idea but we thought we knew better haha.  We were Wetsuit and PFD'd up so worst case scenario I would've have trolled for GW's and lost a kayak that never gets any use.  But you're right could have been a bad idea had something gone wrong
----Willha

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nice fish bro!
I try to fish the opposite direction that the wind is forecast to blow.
That way you get blown back to the launch. That may have helped you there. But sometimes the wx is too beautiful to head south. See you out there sometime.

That's usually my strategy as well but We were having no luck for the first couple hours and I was like fuck it, I know some hot spots between ocean cove and timber that have never let me down and my buddies GF was giving him a hard time about his bad luck the last outing we had for not bringing home any fish lol.  (He wouldnt let me send him home with any) so I had to put him on something lol.
----Willha

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
SINK! Sit-IN-Kayak
Glad you both made it back safely.
I've paddled (yes, paddled) from WAY beyond Gerstle to OC in a heavy head wind and it was a total beotch. So I feel your pain.
Way to at least get on some fish.
See ya next month.
<=>

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Nice ling! Glad you guys made it out. I was ready to launch by 0715 and waited at the lot until 0745 and decided to head out. I was near the cove for an hour but didn't see(or missed) any kayakers so I ventured out a little to the north.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nice ling! Glad you guys made it out. I was ready to launch by 0715 and waited at the lot until 0745 and decided to head out. I was near the cove for an hour but didn't see(or missed) any kayakers so I ventured out a little to the north.

Damn, I saw a few guys north must've been you I tried channel 69 for you but no response.  I thought about calling you once we arrived but didnt have service go figure.  Did you see that group of people in kayaks that were drifting in front of the bay? We were around them for about an hour or so just closer to that first set of wash rocks off the the left of the bay.  Were you in a gray yak?  I saw a guy solo as we were loading in but didnt think you made it out and wasnt sure what you looked like lol. 
----Willha

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion

Damn, I saw a few guys north must've been you I tried channel 69 for you but no response.  I thought about calling you once we arrived but didnt have service go figure.  Did you see that group of people in kayaks that were drifting in front of the bay? We were around them for about an hour or so just closer to that first set of wash rocks off the the left of the bay.  Were you in a gray yak?  I saw a guy solo as we were loading in but didnt think you made it out and wasnt sure what you looked like lol.

That might have been me. I have ivory dune hobie revo 11. I guess I missed the group. We'll hookup next time.

Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
West Marine Pompano 120
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile

That might have been me. I have ivory dune hobie revo 11. I guess I missed the group. We'll hookup next time.

Damn, well let me know next time you come out we can go just you and I.  My buddy is late for everything.  were you able to at least catch some fish?
----Willha

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion

Damn, well let me know next time you come out we can go just you and I.  My buddy is late for everything.  were you able to at least catch some fish?

Yes. I caught few but they were small. I kept 4 rock fish for dinner and both Lings were 21 inches so they lived to see another day.

Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
West Marine Pompano 120