Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:49:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:24 AM]

[Today at 08:08:08 AM]

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Getting this off my chest! Kayakers vs. Boaters  (Read 8389 times)

Caliyak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
This is a great thread but I have to add that lake boaters are different than ocean boaters. We have the weekend warrior and the bass fishermen.

The weekend boaters are the idiots with no respect, skiing, house boats with kids and drunk off their a$$. They are playing the music loud and peeing in the lake. I see a lot of high school and college students partying it up in the shallows. I saw a boater call on a tube guy to a fight on the water. Amazing!!!

The bass fishermen are cool but can get a little crazy because they want to catch fish and we are in their spot. They, at times, need to be reminded that kayakers pay the day fee just like them.

I guess they are everywhere.
LC - RIP C.V.K.
WS Tarpon 100

barefoot1

• Sea Lion
  • The world needs more fruitcakes.--J. Buffet
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
I totally agree with the point Caliyak is making.  Other than one idiot at CL last spring I have not had bass boaters become problem.  BUT if I troll for salmon on the old sac on a weekend I do it real early before the weekend idiots get on the water.  I have gotten more respect from wake boarders than some of these morons with salmon fever.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
- Mark Twain

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
remember they spent more money on their single trip out than we do in 10 trips. they may be grumpy because of that..

You said a mouthful there.

Nonsense, a trip out to the sc bouy is about a bucks worth of gas.  :smt004 

One last thing....if I'm in my boat and coming up on a kayaker, I'm keeping distance but not slowing down unless I want to talk to them.  Coming off plane creates a larger wake, that is more likely to swamp or knock someone off their yak.  This is especially true around harbor entrances where apparently its become cool to hang out. 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I hate it when a fast moving boat slows down before it gets to where I am. I would much rather have it stay on plane. Much smaller wake that way.

remember they spent more money on their single trip out than we do in 10 trips. they may be grumpy because of that..

You said a mouthful there.

Nonsense, a trip out to the sc bouy is about a bucks worth of gas.  :smt004 

One last thing....if I'm in my boat and coming up on a kayaker, I'm keeping distance but not slowing down unless I want to talk to them.  Coming off plane creates a larger wake, that is more likely to swamp or knock someone off their yak.  This is especially true around harbor entrances where apparently its become cool to hang out. 

http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Food for thought ...

The quiet word around the harbor is that a lot of kayakers are NOT respecting the rules of the road when it comes to WSB.  When you reach the end of your drift, do not traverse through the fleet to set up for the next one.  Go around them.

-Allen

Allen -

That is a good point and we should be careful when re-setting the drift. I think with a bottom bite and the fact that we are pretty stealthy compared to a boat, I really don't think we caused anybody to not catch a fish but your point is well taken and I said it in my WSB article about fleet etiquette. Personally, I think some of them are mad because we are out fishing them, particularly the last 3-4 weeks and that is the truth. I have only fished one drift on each of my last 2 trips so it wasn't me who cut through the fleet.  :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
C'mon, haven't you guys ever seen a guy driving a piece of shit car with a super hot girl in the passenger seat? I'm sure that's how guys in PB's feel when they see a kayaker with something nice on the clip. "I spent all this money on a BMW and she's with the dude who's rollin a Geo."
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
 :smt044
C'mon, haven't you guys ever seen a guy driving a piece of shit car with a super hot girl in the passenger seat? I'm sure that's how guys in PB's feel when they see a kayaker with something nice on the clip. "I spent all this money on a BMW and she's with the dude who's rollin a Geo."
:smt044
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile

Damn that is funny.  :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 Last 2 trips I was in by 7-9 AM followed by 2-3 PB's who were skunked and gave up. Each time one of them came over, looked at my fish, looked at my kayak and said... "Nice rig, so how much do they cost?"  :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Yeah, the Geo's are looking pretty good these days.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
OMG thats some funny shit right there fellas. :smt006 :smt044 :smt044 Good one Jeff.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
I hate it when a fast moving boat slows down before it gets to where I am. I would much rather have it stay on plane. Much smaller wake that way.
+1 especially when its a skiboat w/weight in the back...

Too funny Jeff  :smt044
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
That's why I haul ass by kayaks when I'm in my wakeboard boat with full ballast tanks :smt003

It's a joke I tell ya son.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008

("Nonsense, a trip out to the sc bouy is about a bucks worth of gas".)

The Boat we have uses 40 gal of gas an hour. One reason I fish rock fish from a kayak.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I've not had any problems with pb's other than their normal wake and water churning on lakes.  Folsom for example will get all chopped up on weekends and that I don't take personally as a kayak owner. 

What I have experienced is a great curiosity in my kayak.  Recreational boaters will stop and ask me about it and want details.  Other fishermen act as if they are 'too cool' to ask questions, but sneak in for  a closer look.  I will usually say hi to them in order to break the ice and then they'll ask about the kayak.  If I'm on a drift, been working a pattern all morning, and someone comes over, I keep with my pattern and figure the PBer needs to adjust to my pace.  Most do, realizing I've probably been there long enough to figure out what's working that day.  Some won't and when that happens, I'll start up a conversation with them.  It gives them a chance to see I'm not an a-hole and also the chance to demonstrate they aren't either.  Keeping civil is pretty important when you are the 95 pound weakling on the beach and the muscleman is approaching.  It's the same with my motorcycle riding; you may be in the right, but you will also pay a bigger price if a push comes to a shove too.   
At this point in my fishing, it's about the experience, not the meat anyways.  I think kayakers are probably a more mature group as a whole compared to PB'ers.  We have worked past the stage of quantity and moved up to quality.  We look at the details as part of the whole experience instead of just the final result of fish taken.   We tend to be quite satisfied to fish where PB's are not satisfied until they catch. 

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
At this point in my fishing, it's about the experience, not the meat anyways.  I think kayakers are probably a more mature group as a whole compared to PB'ers.  We have worked past the stage of quantity and moved up to quality.  We look at the details as part of the whole experience instead of just the final result of fish taken.   We tend to be quite satisfied to fish where PB's are not satisfied until they catch.

Love this ...

-Allen

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005

Love this ...

-Allen

X2, that's about the best summation of yak-fishing I've seen.  Mind if I steal it for my signature line?  :smt002

anything