Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bass-n-Tubes U.S. Open Tourney @ Clear Lake, 5/20-21. Kayaks welcome!  (Read 2482 times)

Gordon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Here's a link to the tourney info...

http://www.calfishing.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33709&mesg_id=33709&page=

You will need a livewell or fish basket to keep your catch alive.

Gordon

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Code: [Select]
You will need a livewell or fish basket to keep your catch alive.

Gordon

Gordon, what do you use?

Gordon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I use a Rubbermaid "tote".  I've hooked up a bilge pump (goes in the lake) to a piece of vinyl hose which I attached to some plastic pipe with holes drilled in it (better aeration).  The pipe goes thru holes in each side of the tote.  I've been meaning to write up an article on my "bass boat" for the site.

I also carry a wire mesh floating fish basket in case I get one that won't fit in the well  :smt001 , but let me tell you, those things are a real "drag"!  :smt003

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Gordon - would love to see some pics  :smt002 An article would be cool!

Gordon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Joel, if you look closely at my avatar, you can see a blue tote behind my seat.  That is the same size that I use for my livewell (I don't use the livewell for fun fishing).  I chose that size and brand because it wedges perfectly between the "gunnels" of my Hobie.  I drilled some "overflow" holes near the top of the tote.  When it fills up, the overflow drains right out to my scupper holes.  I mounted a switch in front of/below my seat to turn the pump on/off.  I cut a triangle-shaped door in one corner of the top to slip the fish in; a bungie holds it closed.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
how many bass (and how big) can you stack in there?

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Gordon,

Which Hobie you got? The Quest?
Also interested in the Tourney but my 'yak is a sit-inside and I can't live-well my fish.
Can I fish the tourney in a pram that I row?
I'll check the link next.
Juan
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

Gordon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Mooch,

Several times I've 5-fish limits of smaller fish (up to 2 lbs) in there the whole day with no problems.  Last year at Clear Lake I had 2 4-lbers and 2 2-lbers in there and they did OK (we had a 4-fish limit last year due to DFGs interpretation of 'culling'  :smt013).  The trick is to keep changing the water on a regular basis.  On hot days, it helps to cool the water off with a frozen water bottle (don't use ice, the chemicals in tap water are bad for the fish  :smt009).

Mako1,

I have a Mirage Outback.  Before I got that I fished a few tourneys out of my sit-inside Keowee and just pulled a wire mesh fish basket around.  Some guys use a soft mesh laundry bag.  Anything that will keep the fish alive...you can bring in dead fish, but that is frowned upon, plus your weight is penalized.  Not sure how the pram would go over, I still get flak from some of the purists 'cuz I'm not in a tube... :smt012

Gordon

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
THanks for the info Gordon!

I still get flak from some of the purists 'cuz I'm not in a tube...

That's something I'd rather not deal with. Gordon, maybe we can start our own Kayak Bass Fishing Club  :smt002 I'm sure Papa Bill will give us a hand  :smt002

Gordon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
That's something I'd rather not deal with. Gordon, maybe we can start our own Kayak Bass Fishing Club

Don't get the wrong idea -- the Bass-n-Tubes guys are great and openly welcome kayaks (their website even says so).  Another club (Sonoma County Belly Boat Bass Club) won't allow kayaks at any of their functions.  Since this is an "Open" event, both clubs will be there, but since the hosting club is BnT, kayaks are allowed.  They got the same sort of pushback when people started migrating from tubes to kickboats.

But if you want to start a kayak only bass club, I'd be interested in that...

Gordon

P.S.  Thanks for all the questions Joel, you helped me make the rank of 'Sardine'!  :smt003
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 04:57:26 PM by Gordon »

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Gordon, I'll put a poll up and see how many Kayak Bass Fishermen we can gather up....stay tuned :smt002

and yes - we will ALLOW kickboats,floattubes,prams = as long as it's a "Human Powered vessel"

anything