Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Dawia Lexa ??  (Read 1412 times)

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Do any of you use the Dawia Lexa 300 HD or WIN.  I've read the first generation doesn't like salt.  Looking at the WIN it seems like a copy of the first generation with a new paint job and handles.  I'd prefer the double handle of the WIN but prefer the 6 CRBB and stainless gearing of the HD. 

Any realy world experience would be helpful.

I've also looked at the Tranx 300, Concept A3, Toro Beast, and Komoto.  Main reason I'm leaning towards the Lexa is its still about 45% cheaper compaired to the cheapest mentioned.  I really like what I've read about the Tranx but its nearly 100% more so thats not happening. 

Thanks

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I've go a first gen Lexa and it has held up really well...salt be damned.

I use it for everything sturgeon, salmon, rockfish, halibut....

Tinker

I have two first generation Lexa's a 100 and a 300 HD.  Never a problem with either in the salt but I'm a fan of Salt-A-Way and careful rinsing.

RHYAK

• Offshore fishing the Blue
  • Sea Lion
  • Picture, Catch and Release
  • View Profile Central Coast Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Have had the Lexa 100 but only used for fresh water.

Lexa 300 and 400 have been my workhorse in the salt for the last 4 years.

Everything from bottomfish to 40lb tuna on the things and honestly only once wish i had a bigger reel and that was a 100+lb bluefin most likely.

My two cents for what they are worth.

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I have a LEXA 400 HD since July this year. I used over 20 times in salt for salmon and bottom jigging. No issue at this point.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
They work for everything, cheap can take the abuse, workhorse reel.

Only time I think they would get out gunned on is bluefin and PacBut. They’re good for sturgeon.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for the reply s everyone. 

Based on the positive responses about the first gen Lexa I'd be willing to bet the people that were experiencing problems might have been shore fishing and got sand in them.  Or maybe they just don't clean.  I typically wipe mine down with a rag sprayed in WD-40, oil every couple of uses and a good cleaing once a year or if they get dunked.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:01:41 PM by Life_is_Yak »

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
WD-40=        NO
Corrosion X =YES

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Tinker

What Bushy said, plus rinse the darned things every time they're near the salt because your line isn't dry.  Five minutes isn't asking a lot.

(The Lexa 100 was great for surf perch on an ultralight rod)

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
What Tinker said. Few minutes is not a lot. Bushy is right

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Never thought about cleaning the line.  I do wash sometimes but normally only if there is a lot of spray or waves slapping the boat and splashing the reels.  Whats wrong with wiping the outside of a reel with WaterDisplacement-40.  I'm not using it as a lubricant.  I also use SuperSlick Stuff, which I like better because it does lubricate and clean.  I never spray my reels directly always a rag and wipe method.

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I love my Lexa 400HD. No issues at all. Like these guys said, just ride well after salt use. I usually ride mine well, then leave in a bucket of water for about 10/15 min while I’m putting away other gear. The only time I ever use wd 40 is if there’s sand inside the reel. Then I’ll spray some in there and do a few more rinses. Then I’ll open it up and clean inside and add some marine grease to the gears and any other metal parts inside.

Every 5 or 6 salt trips I’ll clean out the inside and throw in some marine grease and a spray of corrosion x in there.

Another AWSOME reel is the REVO NACL. I LOVE MINE. Had it for a long time now and no issues at all. They don’t make them anymore but if you can find one, I’d jump on that!

Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I love my Lexa 400HD. No issues at all. Like these guys said, just ride well after salt use. I usually ride mine well, then leave in a bucket of water for about 10/15 min while I’m putting away other gear. The only time I ever use wd 40 is if there’s sand inside the reel. Then I’ll spray some in there and do a few more rinses. Then I’ll open it up and clean inside and add some marine grease to the gears and any other metal parts inside.

Every 5 or 6 salt trips I’ll clean out the inside and throw in some marine grease and a spray of corrosion x in there.

Another AWSOME reel is the REVO NACL. I LOVE MINE. Had it for a long time now and no issues at all. They don’t make them anymore but if you can find one, I’d jump on that!

Man I love the Revo toro NACL.  I had the reel for a year and then I lost it when I flipped my kayak in chesapeak.  I'd buy another in a heart beat if I could find one..  I loved how I could fish light or heavy plugs/ iron and I never had to adjust anything.  plus I could cast a solid 20-30% farther than my other reels. never had a problem with 10+lb fish either.  The reel always felt solid.

How would you say the Lexa compares to the revo toro nacl?

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
WD 40 is a degreaser/solvent.

It is not a lubricant.It also leaves a film.It will breakdown petroleum by-products over time i.e. fishing line.

You can check the MSDS for WD 40 to see it's ingredients ( yeah no fish oil ) .

Why put a degreaser/solvent on an item that needs to be greased and oiled(lubricated) for optimal performance .
Yea that exactly how I use it.  I spray it on a rag to degrease and clean the outside of my reel.  It never gets on my line.
I use oil and grease to lubricate my reel.  and sometimes superslick stuff

I also take my reels apart and use grease to seal them on the gear side.  only thing I really cant seal is where the spool is and the thumb bar.  but it doesn't seem like water really gets in, unless they are dunked.  Then every reel is broken down and cleaned. 

I'm not a big fan of spraying because I feel like I have more control when I wipe the reels down.  I don't have to worry about washing sand into the reel or loading my grease with water.  I use to spray my reels down after every trip but it seemed like things were getting replaced every 5 years. So I've been trying it this way the last 2 years.