Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:56:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 03:09:46 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "donations" made to the sea......  (Read 20556 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Mike - don't have GPS coordinates - but the location is still clear in my mind - I really doubt the rod and reel can be found - unless the water clarity gets better and the water level goes down a little bit more. Besides, they don't allow people in the water.

FYI: I just broke out all my leashes and will be using them on the lakes from now on  :smt045

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Sorry about the loss Joel. I would have been dragging the bottom with a treble. Have much line out? You should post your loss on the Bulletin Board, you never know somebody might hook it.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I was watching my FF and the location had a steep slope - so it could have gone even further down. If anyone finds it = they deserve it.

Don't think I plan on replacing it - it's too much bling bling to carry on the yak anyway (I already worry enough about my culcutta reel when I go salmon fishing) ....BUT DAM it was a fine rod  :smt045 and it had really good mojo  :smt002 The day I bought it from Fisherman's Warehouse, I took it straight to Stevens Creek and made the FIRST CAST from shore and hooked up with a pan fry rainbow  :smt002

« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 09:36:48 AM by Mooch »

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
In the second or third week that I owned my drifter I was in the southbay of san diego bay.  Dead calm conditions.

I had a rod in my lap and I needed a lure so I reached around to my tackle basket.  Well I leaned a little too far, and I could definately tell the kayak was going to flip, I was past the point of no return.  I decided the best course of action was to bail out of the yak and try to keep it from capsizing and losing all of my gear. 

Sploosh, I'm all wet, rod in my lap is gone, but everything is still in the yak.

Luckily is was one of my more beat setups.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
I was watching my FF and the location had a steep slope - so it could have gone even further down. If anyone finds it = they deserve it.

Don't think I plan on replacing it - it's too much bling bling to carry on the yak anyway (I already worry enough about my culcutta reel when I go salmon fishing) ....BUT DAM it was a fine rod  :smt045 and it had really good mojo  :smt002 The day I bought it from Fisherman's Warehouse, I took it straight to Stevens Creek and made the FIRST CAST from shore and hooked up with a pan fry rainbow  :smt002

Give me your idea as to where it is and I will drag for it next time at the lake.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Drag for it. You might even pull up something better.
A LONG time ago I lost a pair of Vuarnet sun glasses while jumping off a cliff on the American River. ( Rafting/bachelor party trip ). I went back the next day with my wetsuit top and a snorkel. The very last dive I was going to make I found them. Ya never know. One thing is for sure, you can guarantee not finding it if you do not try.
<=>

jselli

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
My total loss so far all happened at linda mar.

1 $200 rod and reel combo.  I was using it to jig for chovie when I turned my kayak into a swell so it wouldn't catch me broad side. Forgot I took the leash off and watched it fall to the bottom. 

2 pair of sunglasses.  1 i can't remember when I lost it the other practicing with chuck in the surf.  Lost a hat then too.

two nets.  One time on the way out, just plan sank after it fell off. the other fell off after landing.

Hmmm.  I think that covers it.

Pride two flips on the yak at LM.  But many cool rides and landings to make up for it.

Jason
...The sea, once it casts its spell
holds one in its net of wonders forever.
                          Jacques Cousteau

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Just wanted to "update" my donations"  :smt011

Lost one my scotty rod holders while trying to board the Islander (mother ship) at San Clemente Island (SCI) with my yak :smt011....will have to think of leash system for those things. Will most likely drill a hole on the rod holder and leash it next time  :smt002

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I lost a rod and real by south rock in SC on the day I caught that salmon. 

I knocked it out of the molded in rod holder on my adventure when trying to clear my paddle of kelp.  Saw it go down and contemplated diving after it.  PO'D!!

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Update:
Bait tube at Tahoe. Now you see it, now you don't.
<=>

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
heh, the sea finally got something of mine.
Noticed after the drive home on 7/21 that my trusty halibut pacifier was a no show. Must have slipped out of the kayak when I landed (it was the only thing not tied down). Ah, I will miss that chunk of galvanized steel, it had a custom wrapped handle of no-slip screen door installation rubber and a nice shock cord lanyard. It served well and subdued many fish. I can only hope it enjoys retirement in the Bean Hollow surf.
Now I need to craft a new "fish-b-cool" stick.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Nothing real crazy for me so far.. wait a min... heaps and heaps of lures and jigs a la snag. :smt012
Also a net that fell off my yak @ BAMII.

Z
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:07:31 AM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Pacifico

• Oye! Que Vida!
  • Sea Lion
  • 12 seconds! That's all I need!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Not while kayaking but I lost a pair of Revo's at Pacifica...that undertow is a real bizatch.
Rub-cifico

• Big Sur glass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Slowmo-
I was coming in to a beach along westcliff in Santa Cruz and tried to surf a a 3 foot wave onto the sand, unfortunatly I got turned sideways and and started to pearl. Then the wave rolled my yak and me 360 degrees. Thankfully I had my milk crate bungied in and my pole in my bow rod holder facing straight forard like a lance. I almost lost my tackle box but was able to scoop it up before the next wave came.
Earlier that morning I was de-hooking the kelp bass I caught when it started dancing around my legs causing me to drop my pliars(had to borrow my dad's) :smt012
We are all worms but I do believe that I am a glow worm. Slowmo- qoute by Winston Churchill.

eyeatbay

• Salmon
  • Halibut 42"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
You guys are sharing awesome stories. Here is my toll:

I had rolled 3+ times at Limekiln Beach in 2006 when I was in the madness of the first year of kayak fishing. Many items had lost:
1) 1 pair of expensive prescription sunglasses ($500+)
2) 1 favorite net ($20). If I had it up to today, I would not lose the monster Hali at BH 2 weeks ago.  :smt002
3) 1 tackle box with full of tackles ($50+) accumulated over a year of purchase here and there. Time worth much more. :smt012
4) 2 fish rods are broken after roll. Luckily, they were cheap rods.
5) A string of fish (reds and lings). It was a good day until I lost the string.  :smt010 Snap hook came off for some reason. Positive note -  I split fish into 2 strings, since one string would not be able to hold all. The other string was still there.

At Caspar cove, I rolled. I lost another net ($20). After that, I cut a section of swimming pool noodle and attached to my fishing net. Ever since, the net floats and it becomes retrievable.

Eric