Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rockfish ID guides  (Read 6387 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I have a laminated ID guide called called California Rockfish and Associated Species by John Edward Budrick. It had been sold on RockfishID.com but that site is no longer online. I really like to carry it with me when fishing the ocean. I want to find more copies or something similar for when my copy is lost or damaged. So far I haven't been able to find much. The DFG does have ID help for the illegal species. I've scanned my copy so I can put it on my iPhone as a last resort if it comes to that. Has anyone seen these for sale since the RockfishID site shut down? Is there another version as good as this one?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:54:18 PM by traildad »
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Half Moon Bay Sportfishing shop at Pillar Point Marina north of Half Moon Bay

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice images. Too bad it doesn't include the descriptions like rough or smooth chin, mouth extends past the eye, etc.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
 I won a tri-fold guide from crabfest or one of the tournaments.  It has those descriptions Ken. 
First, I searched and can't find it on the internet.  It's titled, "California Rockfishes and Associated Species". 

Each fish is a color photo with a map of the coast line and where they reside.  Also, Max length, Max age and Maturity age are included with each photo.  There are sub photos with most of the fish.  For example, the Grass Rockfish includes a photo of where to find the first gill arch and another photo that states there are short gill rakers on the first gill arch.  Each photo also includes the scientific name of the fish. 

Yelloweye Rockfish says and has arrows to point where: Raspy area above eye, Smooth jaw and maxillary, area around Lateral Line is opaque.

Vermilion Rockfish says, and has arrows to point where; Rough jaw and maxillary.

And so on....

The chart has emblems for
FERF (Fishery Enhancement Research Foundation)
CDF (California Department of Fish and Game)
Sport Fish Restoration
Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission

It also says Copyright 2006 John Edward Budrick

Produced by John Edward Budrick of the Fishery Enhancement and Research Foundation.
Additional copies available at www.RockfishID.com (website now no longer exists)

A few credits to others for their input and that's it.

Best chart I've ever used.  The tri-fold is great as it slips right in my PFD and handy to identify what I have caught. 

Hope you can find one!  I can take a photo and post if that helps.  Also, I'd be happy to meet anyone wanting to take and get it copied and laminated. 

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I won a tri-fold guide from crabfest or one of the tournaments.  It has those descriptions Ken. 
First, I searched and can't find it on the internet.  It's titled, "California Rockfishes and Associated Species". 

Each fish is a color photo with a map of the coast line and where they reside.  Also, Max length, Max age and Maturity age are included with each photo.  There are sub photos with most of the fish.  For example, the Grass Rockfish includes a photo of where to find the first gill arch and another photo that states there are short gill rakers on the first gill arch.  Each photo also includes the scientific name of the fish. 

Yelloweye Rockfish says and has arrows to point where: Raspy area above eye, Smooth jaw and maxillary, area around Lateral Line is opaque.

Vermilion Rockfish says, and has arrows to point where; Rough jaw and maxillary.

And so on....

The chart has emblems for
FERF (Fishery Enhancement Research Foundation)
CDF (California Department of Fish and Game)
Sport Fish Restoration
Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission

It also says Copyright 2006 John Edward Budrick

Produced by John Edward Budrick of the Fishery Enhancement and Research Foundation.
Additional copies available at www.RockfishID.com (website now no longer exists)

A few credits to others for their input and that's it.

Best chart I've ever used.  The tri-fold is great as it slips right in my PFD and handy to identify what I have caught. 

Hope you can find one!  I can take a photo and post if that helps.  Also, I'd be happy to meet anyone wanting to take and get it copied and laminated.
I think that is the one I have in my first post above. I'm hoping I can find a new source.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Well duh...

I drink.  That's my only excuse.  Ha! 
Now, back to my favorite beer....

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hey Traildad,
If you find that chart,
I'd Love to buy one!
Had that a few years back and really liked the detail and descriptions !

THX
Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I just bought the one Howard posted pics of @ wildlifefieldguides.com. they take PayPal. About $8. After shopping and taxes.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I agree that those are the best ID guides Ken.  I have one too.  So, I did a little stalking.  John Edward Budrick shows an obituary in San Mateo County in October '13.  The Fishery Enhancement and Research Foundation is a California non profit corporation located in Davis.  It has been suspended for failure to file IRS and FTB forms. 

Captain Tom Mattusch of the Huli-Cat charter operating out of Pillar Point comes up as a board member of the FERF.  It might be worth calling him and inquiring. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I agree that those are the best ID guides Ken.  I have one too.  So, I did a little stalking.  John Edward Budrick shows an obituary in San Mateo County in October '13.  The Fishery Enhancement and Research Foundation is a California non profit corporation located in Davis.  It has been suspended for failure to file IRS and FTB forms. 

Captain Tom Mattusch of the Huli-Cat charter operating out of Pillar Point comes up as a board member of the FERF.  It might be worth calling him and inquiring.
It would be nice to get access to the original to make more from, or at least permission to reprint copies.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Amadeo makes both posters and folded and laminated ones with all the most common fishies....and he's an awesome guy that supports our events and comps like AOTY, DOTY and PIF.  :smt001

http://www.abachar.com/collections/tackle-box/products/pacific-northwest-fish-id-guide

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Thanks, Jim!  Just ordered a couple of Amadeo's fold out ID charts.  Would still like the one Ken is looking for also.
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Thanks, Jim!  Just ordered a couple of Amadeo's fold out ID charts.  Would still like the one Ken is looking for also.

Cool!

Yeah the "California Rockfishes and Associated Species" one is great and I have the poster of it right above my computer at work.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

AL

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I also would like a copy of these id charts. It would be great if NCKA was able to obtain permission to distribute copies for informational purposes.
  I have the laminated sheet that Hojoman posted. The first time I was OTW without someone more knowledgeable than myself I ended up putting back a really nice vermilion due to the lack of specific info to differentiate between canary vs verm.
 I now have a DFG id card that distinguishes between the two, but would like to be able to learn the other species as well.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Nah, we should just buy them from Amadeo!
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

anything