Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

How much would you pay to participate in Crabfest?

$10
4 (8.2%)
$15
6 (12.2%)
$20
35 (71.4%)
Nothing, I only go because it is free.
4 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Topic: Crabfest Fee ?  (Read 2555 times)

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Tournament organizers routinely make thousands and thousands of dollars from entry fees and clothing sales year after year. In addition, they raise thousands of dollars for great causes by raffling off all kinds of miscellaneous stuff they mostly get donated by corporate sponsors. Some people see what a wonderful blossoming sport and brotherhood we have and they think Hmmm, How can I harvest some money from these peoples paychecks? I used to resent it but now accept it as the way things work. At least they take time for the second harvest to help good causes.
I must have missed the boat on that first part, I can't speak for everyone, but after over 20+ events, I have yet to see the first penny of profit ..... hell, I have yet to ever break even on a event.
But,
I have to agree on the second part.
Money is raised for some really great causes.
Thank you to all the great people who organize these great events that bring us all together.
;0)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Same and agree...It is a shitload of work organizing and Hosting Any event.., online promoting, getting permits and sponsors, etc...Most I've ever got from doing the Slams was some product donated from sponsors but NEVER any $$ to reimburse or just to line  my pockets with. Like most other organizers, I just simply enjoy Hosting events to see everyone get together and share the Passion for our sport... It's a Damn Shame IMO to have seen a few Snakes do it for financial and/or Personal Gain, especially here in NCKA when we're supposed to be a brotherhood. SMH

Victor, Do watever u want brotha. The Crabfest is already a Huge Hit. We will pay and have our support to keep this one going 😉😊
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009

Don't care if the organizers make money from it, so long as they don't lose any money.  I know that it comes first from a passion, and it's a lot of work, so why not come out in the black, as opposed to being in the red?  As long as they are able to provide an event that brings us together, fish together, and have a great time... I will gladly pay any registration fee.  Thanks to all organizers who put on tournaments, fishNChills, etc... Peace...
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Victor,  I have no problem with a fee to help cover costs associated with putting an event on.  I do however have a suggestion:  I have always liked the fact that Eric includes a Tee Shirt with the registration fee for G.S.  I'm not sure how much of the fee is consumed by the cost of the shirts, but including a shirt is a nice incentive and it creates a lasting memory for all of the participants.  Back in my working days, I put on several very large golf tournaments for various charities.  I found that there were many  sponsors willing to donate to "the cause" in exchange for having their logos on the event shirts.  I think we got a little carried away a couple of times and sent the golfers out looking like billboards but it was a great way to collect money  for the charity and defray the cost of the shirts. 

Martin

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Victor,  I have no problem with a fee to help cover costs associated with putting an event on.  I do however have a suggestion:  I have always liked the fact that Eric includes a Tee Shirt with the registration fee for G.S.  I'm not sure how much of the fee is consumed by the cost of the shirts, but including a shirt is a nice incentive and it creates a lasting memory for all of the participants.  Back in my working days, I put on several very large golf tournaments for various charities.  I found that there were many  sponsors willing to donate to "the cause" in exchange for having their logos on the event shirts.  I think we got a little carried away a couple of times and sent the golfers out looking like billboards but it was a great way to collect money  for the charity and defray the cost of the shirts. 

Martin
Ya! This!!!!
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Bchen

• Salmon
  • Bernard Chen
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
I'm also a fan of t-shirts or other event swag.  They're good reminders that I had a good time somewhere.  The Simply Fishing logos are excellent (even though I couldn't make it this year).

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011

Martin

The idea for the charge this year would be that the fees would mostly be going to get prizes for the raffle, and a grand prize if needed. If I include a shirt that basically means less for the raffle because the money would then have to pay for the shirt. I totally like the idea of a shirt too. I will have to think about this.

Every year it is more difficult to have sponsors commit to the event because they are also stretched out so much, plus it also takes time from me. My thoughts were if 100 people registered, I could use half the money to hopefully get a kayak at cost and the rest would go to raffle prizes.

Thank you for the feedback everyone, I am really looking at all options and I appreciate it. I like having the raffle because it raises a good amount for a great organization.

Victor :smt006
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I would pay a fee to attend. Why not? Sounds like fun!

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

Martin

The idea for the charge this year would be that the fees would mostly be going to get prizes for the raffle, and a grand prize if needed. If I include a shirt that basically means less for the raffle because the money would then have to pay for the shirt. I totally like the idea of a shirt too. I will have to think about this.

Every year it is more difficult to have sponsors commit to the event because they are also stretched out so much, plus it also takes time from me. My thoughts were if 100 people registered, I could use half the money to hopefully get a kayak at cost and the rest would go to raffle prizes.

Thank you for the feedback everyone, I am really looking at all options and I appreciate it. I like having the raffle because it raises a good amount for a great organization.

Victor :smt006
If it means less money for your charity, I would say don't do the shirts...but...you could have the shirts done for anyone willing to pay extra and pre-order. Just my two cents.  :smt006

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
FWIW,
I don't go to events to win prizes, I go for the gathering of friends.
If the sole reason of the fee is to produce a bigger raffle, then my vote no fee, or to keep it minimal to help curb the financial burden and skip the raffle,
But,
if you are looking to raise $$$ for a special charity, I say go for a fee, also add a donation Jar, and be open about where the $$ goes (PIF is great about disclosure)
Either way,
If I can make it, I will go to hang with some of the greatest people I know.
I believe that this is a great event, and either way you decide to go, people will go and have a great experience
Good luck with your decision
;0)

Hobie Outback (dune)

anything