Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:57:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MERGED - Shark attack on yak 3/18- Monterey Bay  (Read 13890 times)

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Scary as hell!!!

4est

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
In 9-19-1982 my dive buddy had a scarred feeling with about a foot of viz just north of Gitchell creek Humboldt co. He said he was looking for sharks. We got out of the water and while getting out of our wet suits saw a shark where we had been. That very day a biologist was bit at Bear Harbor. Not the same shark, but many in close in the month of September.
With the increase in the #'s im investing in the shark shield this year.
Just another insurance policy.

michael1one

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
  A RED kayak... That explains it!      Like waving a red cape in front of an angry bull...         OK<,,, I'm full of shit.

I recall looking at a chart and the most common color for shark attacks was yellow.  The most common kayak were Hobies.   With my Yellow Hobie, I always feel like there is a target on my back ... or my bottom.    Looks like the shark was chomping away at the kayak.  Surprised the holes weren't deeper. Thank God Brian is okay.
2015 hobie adventure island
New to sailing.  Looking to go fishing with other AI owners.

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Holy Crap!!!
You lived my nightmare!
Glad ur OK Bro..

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

That's some scary shit, 'glad the guy is OK.   I was just telling J earlier yesterday that there might be some WSB in front of MB aquarium .....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:55:03 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Would a shark shield help prevented this attack? Im surprise there aren't many more of GWS attacks considering the amount of seal activities. but anytime we get out there, there is a chance of an attack. Always go with buddies for this reason even if you are an expert solo.
I'm a believer :smt006
I'm sure caked on urine has a conductivity that may deter something :smt005

:smt056

I didn't get attacked yesterday because I was constantly peeing in my wetsuit.

I'm a believer too  :smt001
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

VK

Ghan does not post much ,but it`ll be two years in Sept. at Ocean Cove  that he was a recipient of a  "Polaris missile" attack . Flipped him over but no additional action was taken by the "missle''.. his Hobie is blue I think ,the only other guys I know that have met the Landlord ,Adam ,Ben and Joe have paddle kayaks
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:10:59 AM by VK »

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Ghan does not post much ,but it`ll be two years in Sept. at Ocean Cove  that he was a recipient of a  "Polaris missile" attack . Flipped him over but no additional action was taken by the "missle''.. his Hobie is blue I think ,the only other guys I know that have met the Landlord ,Adam ,Ben and Joe have paddle kayaks

There's a fair few hobies represented in the GWS thread and Ryan's hobie got completely destroyed by one a couple years ago on the central coast.  He was even interviewed and featured on shark week.

I don't think our sample size is big enough to draw any real conclusions one way or the other.  Once we have 50 or 100 we might be able to see a pattern but we stand at somewhere around 10 right now and that's over several years.  I think the best thing to do is to say a mantra to the shark gods, don't kill any sharks as a nod to karma, and just keep doing your thing. 

Shark shields show promise, probably wouldn't hurt to run one of those especially down south where encounters are more frequent than up here where I only know of one GWS checking out a kayaker here.  Did not attack though.  And he was in a blue hobie. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

VK

There's a fair few hobies represented in the GWS thread and Ryan's hobie got completely destroyed by one a couple years ago on the central coast.  He was even interviewed and featured on shark week.

I don't think our sample size is big enough to draw any real conclusions one way or the other.  Once we have 50 or 100 we might be able to see a pattern but we stand at somewhere around 10 right now and that's over several years.  I think the best thing to do is to say a mantra to the shark gods, don't kill any sharks as a nod to karma, and just keep doing your thing. 

Shark shields show promise, probably wouldn't hurt to run one of those especially down south where encounters are more frequent than up here where I only know of one GWS checking out a kayaker here.  Did not attack though.  And he was in a blue hobie.

yep ....and I hope I`m not part of the "sample" no matter the kayak in using ..weren't Midwest and One F up your way last year on a drive by from the Landlord ?

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

yep ....and I hope I`m not part of the "sample" no matter the kayak in using ..weren't Midwest and One F up your way last year on a drive by from the Landlord ?

They were down in mendocino.  ling ling herro had a driveby up off of coos bay.  Those are the next closest ones i know of.  The one locally was cameron out of trinidad.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
This is a strong argument for kayakers being allowed bang sticks. But like any tool, it's only as good as the tool using it.
They need to weave transmitters into a wetsuit for divers and those of us that dangle ;)
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I don't think color matters since the sharks perspective is from below and mistakes a yaks silhouette for something tasty such as a pinniped or a baby whale.

I remember a shore dive from a beach in Cozumel. Where I thought I saw a sea turtle but it turned out to be a kid in an inner tube.

If I was a tiger shark that kid would've been dinner.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

michael1one

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
More sharks, more seals, more people in the water. By the numbers we are going to have more incidents.
What worries me, is a sudden drop of seal populations with a high population of white sharks. Results for kayakers and other recreations will be in the zone of danger.

Found this article about the growing number of  GWS near monterey being the major cause of sea otter deaths.  Apparently juvenile GWS just randomly taking bites out of sea otters also, but not eating them. 

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/California-sea-otter-population-declines-5772806.php
2015 hobie adventure island
New to sailing.  Looking to go fishing with other AI owners.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Man, i hate seeing these reports year in and year out. It is the inherent risk we all take, and i'm glad that guy is ok.
I don't think we can prepare ourselves for it. I just hope my gopro is turn on so at least i can have some cool footage.
Lol--Not that i'm looking to get pounded.  :smt001
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Man, i hate seeing these reports year in and year out. It is the inherent risk we all take, and i'm glad that guy is ok.
I don't think we can prepare ourselves for it. I just hope my gopro is turn on so at least i can have some cool footage.
Lol--Not that i'm looking to get pounded.  :smt001

This
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

anything