Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:36:02 PM]

[Today at 07:50:22 PM]

[Today at 07:21:34 PM]

[Today at 06:47:15 PM]

[Today at 05:06:27 PM]

[Today at 04:14:59 PM]

[Today at 01:34:22 PM]

[Today at 11:23:51 AM]

[Today at 11:17:48 AM]

[Today at 07:34:09 AM]

[Today at 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Introducing the Wilderness Systems Radar 115 & 135 *see PDF files at bottom  (Read 9433 times)

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
got mine! Radar 135 with pedal drive. Paddled this boat before i got the drive unit and it is/was AWESOME! gotta get it on the water this weekend with the drive unit to try it out but i love the kayak without it so, it can only get better!!!! Only the commander comes close to this boat as far as stability. Took a wake board boat wave that submarined me to my chest and it popped  right up and was no big deal. Pull the trigger on this one, Can't go wrong.
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
got mine! Radar 135 with pedal drive. Paddled this boat before i got the drive unit and it is/was AWESOME! gotta get it on the water this weekend with the drive unit to try it out but i love the kayak without it so, it can only get better!!!! Only the commander comes close to this boat as far as stability. Took a wake board boat wave that submarined me to my chest and it popped  right up and was no big deal. Pull the trigger on this one, Can't go wrong.

Once you get the helix pedal drive installed can you let us know how it fishes and cruises?

I am interested in the kayak, however I'm hearing that your knees get in the way when pedaling and fishing. Compared to other pedal kayaks it's relatively slow and noisy. I have a Thresher 140 (really like) so I love that the OS Pod is interchangeable. What would your impression be using it on salt?

Thank you.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I am a bit biased here so take this for what it is worth.

I am Tarpon 160 purist here. I have hated everything else from Wildy compared to my Tarpon. I have not had my Tarpon on the water since early May when I got the pedal drive. Those that know me will understand that that is REALLY saying something. I have logged well over 150 miles so far on the Radar with drive since May. My legs do not get in the way of pedaling and fishing at all. All of the pedal boats with props have the same motion and would be the same for fishing as far as your legs go. I am also able to stack the down rigger from it while Kokanee fishing very easily.  It is not slow or noisy at all. I don't know where you heard that. The only pedal kayak I know of that is faster is the Revo 13-16 with Turbos. I cruise at 3.5-4 easily and push it to a little over 5.3 for a while fully loaded with fishing gear. I have used it on the salt a few times. It handles huge swells and wind waves with little effort. I had it out at GS in 7-9' @7 secs with the wild cross swell we had. On top of that was big wind waves. Totally stable and I was able to pee off it in those conditions and never felt unsafe. Any pedal drive is great for holding position in the ocean or on windy days on a lake.

If I did not like this kayak I would be back on my Tarpon in an instant. This kayak has changed the way I fish for the better for sure. It has a nice deck with plenty of room for standing/stretching too.

There are several kayaks now with drives. Some are easier to use than others. I have been on most now. The Native and Wildy are the easiest to pedal for long distances that I have tried. There was one drive I was not impressed with. It wore my legs out in only a little time. It is all in the gear ratio and hull design.

I will let you try it out any time we are fishing together. If you like the Thresher you will love the Radar. It is so much easier to fish from. The only thing I don't want to do on the Radar is dive. I could do it, but the Thresher is a much better dive platform.

Hope this helps some. I think BMB will back me up on this.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I am a bit biased here so take this for what it is worth.

I am Tarpon 160 purist here. I have hated everything else from Wildy compared to my Tarpon. I have not had my Tarpon on the water since early May when I got the pedal drive. Those that know me will understand that that is REALLY saying something. I have logged well over 150 miles so far on the Radar with drive since May. My legs do not get in the way of pedaling and fishing at all. All of the pedal boats with props have the same motion and would be the same for fishing as far as your legs go. I am also able to stack the down rigger from it while Kokanee fishing very easily.  It is not slow or noisy at all. I don't know where you heard that. The only pedal kayak I know of that is faster is the Revo 13-16 with Turbos. I cruise at 3.5-4 easily and push it to a little over 5.3 for a while fully loaded with fishing gear. I have used it on the salt a few times. It handles huge swells and wind waves with little effort. I had it out at GS in 7-9' @7 secs with the wild cross swell we had. On top of that was big wind waves. Totally stable and I was able to pee off it in those conditions and never felt unsafe. Any pedal drive is great for holding position in the ocean or on windy days on a lake.

If I did not like this kayak I would be back on my Tarpon in an instant. This kayak has changed the way I fish for the better for sure. It has a nice deck with plenty of room for standing/stretching too.

There are several kayaks now with drives. Some are easier to use than others. I have been on most now. The Native and Wildy are the easiest to pedal for long distances that I have tried. There was one drive I was not impressed with. It wore my legs out in only a little time. It is all in the gear ratio and hull design.

I will let you try it out any time we are fishing together. If you like the Thresher you will love the Radar. It is so much easier to fish from. The only thing I don't want to do on the Radar is dive. I could do it, but the Thresher is a much better dive platform.

Hope this helps some. I think BMB will back me up on this.

Can I test drive it at Red white and Striper?  We talked about it at the show in Sacramento. I was really impressed with it. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pedal drive kayak.

Thanks,
Dann

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I will be there and can let you zoom around a bit. Rob won't be there :smt006
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I will be there and can let you zoom around a bit. Rob won't be there :smt006
Perfect. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Got my Radar 135 today in Solar green.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Awesome Dan. I am jealous.  :smt007

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey what happened to the tarpon.
Auto spell tried to write "tampon". Lol

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hey what happened to the tarpon.
Auto spell tried to write "tampon". Lol
I sold it to a friend. He loves it.

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nothing was assembled. There wasn't any instructions, but I figured it out.

Maiden voyage prop came off. Lost at sea.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nothing was assembled. There wasn't any instructions, but I figured it out.

Maiden voyage prop came off. Lost at sea.

no way! That isn't how that was supposed to go.  Sorry bro. Glad the old tarpon found a good home.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I am leaning toward the dark side.

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I am leaning toward the dark side.
Before you go to the dark side pedal this. The 10 minutes I was pedaling it was nice. The kayak sits nice and is extremely stable. The tracking was great even when paddling.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I put on another 10 miles today trolling. The deck space on this kayak is great compared to a lot of other kayaks.

Sorry to hear about he prop.

http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place