Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:25:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trout Lures  (Read 10620 times)

Dalong Boat

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I also don't want to spend a fortune.

definitely don't do what i do and spend a bunch of money on lures i rarely use.

if you're fishing the EB lakes and if you're fishing one or two rods, i always recommend the following:
1 or 2 JSR-05 rapalas (jointed shad raps) - dive around 8-10 feet on average. my favorite color is the traditional shad and silver shad.  best place to buy these is walmart.
1 rainbow trout F9 stick bait rapala - also best at walmart
1 j-7 rapala - color either rainbow trout or firetiger
1 bx-06 rapala -  blue herring color  this is my absolute best lure at sc.  don't know if its because of the lure or because of my confidence in it.  don't carry at walmart, i would imagine FW would be the cheapest.  I also have some that i stocked up on that i am willing to sell to folks at $7 each (the price i paid-i just do this to help folks).  i live about 5 minutes from shadow cliffs.  alternative to the BX-06 rapala would be the JSR-04 rapala. very similar in size and diving depth and i've caught fish on them before.
1 needlefish - firetiger - use when cloudy
1 kastmaster - 1/4oz silver/blue - use when sunny
1 TDD9 rapala - deep diver.  best when fish are deep, like when its super cold or strangely warm. 

there are lots of other lures that work that would be similar to size and running ability to the rapalas above.  these are just the ones i like the best.

Nice! I have a shopping list now. Will go to Walmart tonight and try out SC again tomorrow morning. Thanks a bunch bmb.

-David

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Lucky Craft Pointer 65 suspending deep diver. You can see it next to the toad trout (upper right corner)
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
That's a trout? Looks like a novelty trout throw-cushion.

What a fatty!

p.s. Thanks again for everyone sharing so much great info here.

It's a bass in a clown costume

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Lucky Craft Pointer 65 suspending deep diver. You can see it next to the toad trout (upper right corner)
dude, rapalas are the gateway drug. you can't just start right off with the cocaine and expect to survive.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010

Who cares what lure! Where is what I want to know! :smt044
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

It rhymes with Shitoma

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16

It rhymes with Shitoma

and is an anagram of Anger Rob! Coincidence? :smt044
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:52:22 PM by Archie Marx »

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I also don't want to spend a fortune.

definitely don't do what i do and spend a bunch of money on lures i rarely use.

if you're fishing the EB lakes and if you're fishing one or two rods, i always recommend the following:
1 or 2 JSR-05 rapalas (jointed shad raps) - dive around 8-10 feet on average. my favorite color is the traditional shad and silver shad.  best place to buy these is walmart.
1 rainbow trout F9 stick bait rapala - also best at walmart
1 j-7 rapala - color either rainbow trout or firetiger
1 bx-06 rapala -  blue herring color  this is my absolute best lure at sc.  don't know if its because of the lure or because of my confidence in it.  don't carry at walmart, i would imagine FW would be the cheapest.  I also have some that i stocked up on that i am willing to sell to folks at $7 each (the price i paid-i just do this to help folks).  i live about 5 minutes from shadow cliffs.  alternative to the BX-06 rapala would be the JSR-04 rapala. very similar in size and diving depth and i've caught fish on them before.
1 needlefish - firetiger - use when cloudy
1 kastmaster - 1/4oz silver/blue - use when sunny
1 TDD9 rapala - deep diver.  best when fish are deep, like when its super cold or strangely warm. 

there are lots of other lures that work that would be similar to size and running ability to the rapalas above.  these are just the ones i like the best.

Those rapala bx jointed shad are badass.

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Panther Martin rig -- I experience major line twist, cumulative with each cast.  I have tried barrel swivel with a 12-18" leader to the PM, but it really jacks up the action.  What do you guys do about line wind up after 1+  hour of casting, or do you have a better way to avoid it?

Jigging -- man I am bad at this.  I cant keep my boat/sonar over the lure using freehand paddle to achieve Clayman's arcade fishing (helpful when spotting fish).  Next, I struggle knowing how far to cast to reach bottom depth before starting the art of 'jigging' which in my case becomes a low depth retrieve.  Do you guys cast out high and short, let drop?  Or manually unspool beneath the boat?  I am still practicing this, it has obvious potentially I cant wait to experience.

Thanks - and great thread by the way!

Spinning reel or casting reel ? If spinning then check the line roller on the pickup bail to be sure it is in fact rolling properly, light lures will sometimes stop it from moving. Put a mark on it with a sharpie to check it, then clean and oil , hope this helps you like it has me.
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

LeeDoo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
These are my babies! Trolling, casting, or jigging. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Jakes-Spin-A-Lure/1168087.uts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I love this guys videos:

2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Does anybody have better success using flashers / dodgers while trolling?  Lets say within 30 ft depth.

I have had  luck with this ultraviolet seps flasher pulling a Nightcrawler. Will add split shots till I find depth they like it at.  Usually top 15 feet though
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 11:31:59 AM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
These work well slow trolled when the bites off.... the little legs twitch like crazy and the fish can’t resist. I carry them in my lake, bay, and ocean tackle cuz I have had them taken by the rockfish just as hard as the trout.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
These work well slow trolled when the bites off.... the little legs twitch like crazy and the fish can’t resist. I carry them in my lake, bay, and ocean tackle cuz I have had them taken by the rockfish just as hard as the trout.

Definitely have to try those .
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback